Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Driveline U-Joints Going bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:41 PM
lovetoclown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driveline U-Joints Going bad

I had my JWT clutch and flywheel installed today at a local shop, and the tech told me that he noticed that the U-joins have flat spots and some play and need to be replaced. Anyone else with this issue?
Old 04-12-2005, 06:49 PM
g356gear

Sounds like a make work project to me.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:35 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by lovetoclown
I had my JWT clutch and flywheel installed today at a local shop, and the tech told me that he noticed that the U-joins have flat spots and some play and need to be replaced. Anyone else with this issue?
I'm pretty sure the u-joints on the driveshaft have a little play normally. I know mine do.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:25 AM
lovetoclown

This shop is not known for b.s.ing people. But I will have Performance check it out when I head down to L.A. to make sure. Just curious if anyone else had this issue come up.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:53 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This shop is not known for b.s.ing people. But I will have Performance check it out when I head down to L.A. to make sure. Just curious if anyone else had this issue come up.
I'm thinking about getting mine checked. Everytime I put the car in reverse to move, there is a small "thunk" sound.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:12 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by zillinois
I'm thinking about getting mine checked. Everytime I put the car in reverse to move, there is a small "thunk" sound.
I am pretty sure this is caused by the diff.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:27 AM
jbenedict

I have a noise that i determined to be coming from the rear axle that could be this. I get it everytime I shift. When starting from a complete stop, i hear it as soon as I start to move, then hear it again when I am between gears shifting. I called my Nissan tech and he told me that he would probably need my car for a couple of days so they could rebuild the rear axle. He said that he has only seen it on one other Z. Is yours making noise at all? I can only hear mine with the windows down, but is annoying nonetheless.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:54 PM
joeddmd

jbenedict, A lot of the earlier 350s went out with some of the rear "U bolts" not properly torqued, I think there is a TSB on this but if not, tell the dealer to try torqueing everything down to speck. as far as U joints, I haven't heard anyone with any problems there yet, I'd only worry with high HP FI cars
Old 04-15-2005, 05:55 AM
etx

Originally Posted by jbenedict
I have a noise that i determined to be coming from the rear axle that could be this. I get it everytime I shift. When starting from a complete stop, i hear it as soon as I start to move, then hear it again when I am between gears shifting. I called my Nissan tech and he told me that he would probably need my car for a couple of days so they could rebuild the rear axle. He said that he has only seen it on one other Z. Is yours making noise at all? I can only hear mine with the windows down, but is annoying nonetheless.
My Z does that as well! It's more of a tink than a thud right? Please let me know what you figure out on that. I'm in the process of rebuilding my motor so the car isn't going anywhere for a while.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:30 AM
jbenedict

Originally Posted by etx
My Z does that as well! It's more of a tink than a thud right? Please let me know what you figure out on that. I'm in the process of rebuilding my motor so the car isn't going anywhere for a while.
YES, you nailed it! A "tink" is the perfect description. I told the dealer that it sounded like someone had tied a nail to a string, and it was dragging behind me. The first thing he asked me was "Is there a rock in your tire?" I wanted to ask him if I truly looked like an idiot, but i refrained. I calmly explained that it wasn't a constant sound...just when I take off, then when I shift.

I'm not sure if it is the TSB thing, but the service manager did tell me that he would have to rebuild my rear axle (2 days worth of work) to take care of it. He also said that it wasn't causing any damage or anything, it was just an annoying noise. He didn't seem too keen on doing the work, but I am slated to take it in on the 26th for them to fix it. My take on it is, I paid for a noiseless car, so that is what I want. I will repost what they found after I take it in.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:31 AM
jbenedict

Default Got it back yesterday...

OK, I got my car back yesterday. According to my invoice, they had to overhaul both rear drive shaft assemblies. It is actually in a TSB (#NTB04-065). They also replaced the bearings. Parts included Joint assembly (PN: 39211-73L00), Bearing (43210-AL505), and a repair Kit (39241-73L28). I wasn't aware that this was in a TB, but I guess it is. The noise is gone, that is all i care about
Old 04-28-2005, 01:41 PM
psychoticminds1

I had a bad u-joint on my z at about 5000 miles. my dealer replaced them under warrenty along with the tail shaft seal.....but then again everything has gone bad on my z except the engine (Praying i didnt jinxs myself)
Old 04-28-2005, 04:37 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by etx

Sounds like what I had.

When driving off from a stand still it makes a few crrrink-tink noises.

Ryde Nissan couldnt fix it after 5 trys!! Each time I got the car back and went to drive away the noise was still there!! The eventially said they couldnt fix it??? So I took it to a local Zed racer with a workshop who fixed the issue in 1hour!

He fixed it by pulling the driveshafts out of the wheel hub, cleaning the ends of the shafts with steel wool or some sort of abrasive just to get some of the normal rust off (not really rust, but rust coloration) and appling some grease to the ends which make contact. Then torquing everything to the correct specs, he did find that some of the bolts werent torqued correctly by the fools at Nissan.

The sound was gone and has not returned once since, this was like 6 months ago.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I took my car in Monday for the same thing and they ordered the exact same part numbers. Its good to know my car will be fixed soon.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:23 AM
jbenedict

Yea, I have heard that it happens on some Z's after 8000 miles. Maxwell Nissan Round Rock took about 1.5 days to fix it, which seems long, but as long as it gets fixed correctly, time isn't an issue (unless it is weeks or something). The bad thing is, they did my window grease also and now my auto-up on my passenger side goes up, hits the top, then come back down about 4 inches or so. I will be going in tomorrow for an adjustment.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:53 AM
phile

I have heard of U-joint problems. Now that I think of it, I think I had a small problem myself. I believe there is a TSB for it.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:33 PM
AARONHL

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BUMP what are the symptoms of a busted U-joint?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:15 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AARONHL
BUMP what are the symptoms of a busted U-joint?
this

plus vibration

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 09-27-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:16 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

6 yr bump
Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 PM
rawley_12003

1 year bump

Quick Reply: Driveline U-Joints Going bad