Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

CRANK POSITION SENSOR *RECALL*

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Zhornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i called nissan they are not aware of the issue with the 05's but they said anyone with the same issues they need to call that toll free number and document it. so they can fix the proble or it just wont get fixed and then when someone dies or has a major accident nissan will be f---ed.

if any one has this issue like me with the 05 post it please
Old 02-03-2006, 01:41 PM
raptorbh12

damn i never coast out of gear. my car could have the problem and i wouldnt even know it!
Old 02-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Zhornet

Originally Posted by raptorbh12
damn i never coast out of gear. my car could have the problem and i wouldnt even know it!
me neither it did it while i was in gear
Old 02-03-2006, 04:50 PM
raptorbh12

how does your car shut off while in gear? what happens when this occurs?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:53 PM
bigbri

This happened to me.....it sucked....
Old 02-24-2006, 02:26 PM
RP-350Z

Thankfully my 03 hasn't shut off while driving but recently on occation my car wont start. It just cranks over. I have to wait a few seconds and try it again, and even then sometimes it wont start till a third try. Is that what they mean by "CREATE A NO START CONDITION" in the recall bulletin?

Ryan
Old 05-04-2006, 07:58 PM
trehlo

Sorry to bump this thread for something slightly off topic, but I purchased an 06 about 2 months ago and before I'd even got thru the first tank of gas, my car has had issues turning over.

Roughly every few hundred miles, regardless of outside temperature, or if the engine is warm from having just been turned off, the car won't start. It cranks, makes that panting sound like it's trying to turn over, but doesn't. It takes anywhere from 2 to 4 long turns of the key before finally starting, and then it's fine for another few hundred miles.

I've already dropped it off at Nissan once, and they pretty much told me I was SOL unless I could somehow time them looking at the car to perfectly coincide with a problem that happens seemingly at random. It's going back to be looked at again tomorrow, but I don't expect them to find anything this time either.

Is the Crank Position Sensor the cause of this? I asked them to look at it the first time, but who knows if they actually did, and I'm not even sure if it's something that can be tested to see if it's working properly or not.

Last edited by trehlo; 05-04-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:20 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

don't know about 05' Z's but mine went out on me TWICE!!!! WTF hopefully it doesn't come back after posting this post!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:41 AM
rx7/350z

i have an 03 that is not in that range and my car has just started stalling at highway speeds in neutral
Old 06-06-2006, 01:57 PM
boma

I have an 03 and it runs fine. Then again i bought it used and perhaps the previous owner had it changed out already. No problems about the crank sensor.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:03 PM
dedmoonstears

Default i stalled today

5 or sao min after being turned on i was on a intersection with my foot on the brakes when it was time to go i just noticed that my engine was dead and no lights on...i then had to restart and it worked..
Old 06-24-2006, 04:34 AM
Enforcer

There are many problems that can cause an engine to stall, the crank angle sensor is one.

If you are affected, you should get the recall notice in the mail although sometimes for whatever reason some people don't. You can also download all the TSBs and recalls on the nissan techinfo website if you purchase a day seat for $20. Another way to get the info is if you go to the nissan usa website and register on the mynissan page. The VIN range is kind of misleading, it says 000001 - 100167 but only 146 are affected. It's not this simple, but simple math would say there are 100166 Z's affected . Obviously that's not the case, it has to do with the serial numbering scheme.

Mine is one of the 03 preorder Z's and I couldn't tell from the VIN range if I was affected or not. Thankfully I recieved a recall notice in the mail from Nissan. But I waited to take it in. I wanted to wait to do a list of recalls/TSBs at the same time. I took it in at ~20k miles a few weeks ago. And they performed this repair.

I never had the enigne stall but I did notice something driving it away from the service center. It was noticeably smoother in making shifts. I am pleasantly surprised. Sometimes when shifting I would have difficulty in getting the shift point perfect. At first I just attributed it to old age, things just ain't what they used to be . The only thing I can conclude is the replacement of the crank angle sensor made the difference. If it wasn't the sensor then it was something else they did. The list of what they did is attached. And to me, the only thing they did that would affect that is the crank angle sensor.

Here is the text on this recall from the mynissan website:

2003 350Z Engine Sensors

Applies to 2003 350Z with the following Vehicle Identification Number range:
JN1AZ*4**3T 000001 - 100167
The number of 350Z vehicles potentially affected is approximately 146.
Please review the disclaimer located at the bottom of this page for more instruction.

Reason for Recall
On some 2003 350Zs, there is a possibility that the engine might stop running while being driven if the crank position sensor fails. This may also result in the "Service Engine Soon" light coming on or reduced engine power. If the engine stops running while driving, this could result in a crash without warning.

What Nissan Will Do
In order to prevent this incident from occurring, your Nissan dealer will replace the crank position sensors. This free service should take about one hour to complete, but your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule, or parts availability.

What You Should Do
Contact your Nissan dealer at your earliest convenience in order to arrange an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. If the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on, contact your dealer as soon as possible to have your vehicle inspected. Please bring this notice with you when you keep your service appointment.

Instructions have been sent to your Nissan dealer. If the dealer fails, or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge, you may contact the National Consumer Affairs Office, Nissan North America, Inc. at P.O. Box 191, Gardena, California 90248-0191. The toll free number is 1-888-737-2647. You may also contact the Administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20590 or call the toll free Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236.

If you have paid to have a crank position sensor replaced prior to this campaign, you may be eligible for reimbursement of the related expense. Contact Nissan Consumer Affairs at the numbers listed above for additional information on how to obtain a reimbursement. Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
Attached Thumbnails CRANK POSITION SENSOR *RECALL*-tsbsrecalls.jpg  
Old 06-24-2006, 05:04 AM
ZDUB

I took my car to dealer for the recall, they turned me away. They said that I did not need it. I fall in the V range.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:40 PM
o-MidWeStDC5-o

Good to know since Im buying a 2003...