Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 06:25 PM
jerryv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Brakes

My 305z AT Touring is just a year old and the brakes have started squeaking. It occurs when breaking from low speeds - usually just before the car comes to a complete stop. It seems most prominent on hot days - it has been in the mid 90s here in TX lately.

Could I already need brake work after a year?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 05-25-2005, 06:32 PM
cyclopz

It is possible for your front brakes to be almost ready for replacement. I just changed mine after 11 months only because I was changing to slotted rotors and Nismo pads. My brakes were squeeking just like yours and although there was some pad left it wouldn't have been long before I needed replacement. When you do change them I highly recommend the Nismo pads over the OEM they are supposed to last longer, they are very low dust compared to the OEM, and the stopping power is a bit better too.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:54 PM
MADDOG`

The Brembos on the Track model squeak a bit too, but only when cold. Once warmed up there's no problem. Love the way they work but those have to be the dustiest pads I have ever had on any car, ever!

MADDOG
Old 05-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Skrill

Check the pads and see how much material is left. If there is a good amount left -- you probably just need to re-bed the pads.

Click here for more info and great tech papers on the subject of bedding brakes:

http://stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedincontents.htm

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Aggro_Al

Like Skrill said check how much pad you have left. The OEM pads wear out fast. I had to replace my front rotors and brake pads after about a year. I replaced my front pads with Hawk Pads and it cured my brake dust problems.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:22 PM
pacificwindsurf

Our 2004 Z just hit about 30,000 miles and has exactly the same squeaky brakes at low speeds. We're taking the car in this week for an inspection.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:34 PM
jerryv

Default Breaks still squeak!

I live in Austin TX - the problem seems associated to warm temperatures - mid upper 90s. In the morning when I drive to work I have no problems. However, on the way home I have terrible squeaking especially breaking from low speeds - stop and go traffic and pulling into my garage. It usually squeaks the last couple feet before coming to a complete stop.

I have had the dealer check it twice. The last time they could not reproduce the problem since it was a rainy day. However, I got the speech that it is normal in the Austin climate for the breaks to squeak. I don't buy it - I have two other Toyota cars and the breaks have *never* squeaked. One of them has 70K miles.

Are the stock breaks just cheap? Anyone else in warm climate states have squeaking breaks?

I really love my Z - it just kills me to put up to a light in my newly waxed Z looking good and then a big break squeak - it's embarrassing.

/Jerry
Old 09-19-2005, 08:43 PM
pacificwindsurf

After doing more reading on this, it sounds like if the squeak happens at low speeds only , it is probably just break dust.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:10 PM
dd55

Jerryv,
I experience the same exact problem, and my pads are new (hawk semi-metallic). It usually only happens when i wait at the metering light getting on the freeway. I agree its embarrasing. This never happend before with the stock brake pads.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:16 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought Hawks HPS brake pads and it's awsome. The OEM brake pads made noise, I replaced them with a NAPA gerneric 350Z brake pad and it was even worse. I had enough and ordered the Hawks HPS brake pad. been about 2 weeks now and no noise. It was like night and day.

Even the brutal load reverse brake noise is gone now. No more being embarressed about my brakes.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, my hawk HPS pads squeal like a SOB.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:52 PM
jerryv

Default Wurth Anti-Squeal Spray?

I found this on a squealing break FAQ page. Anyone ever uses these Wurth products?

/Jerry

"A second option is to coat the back of the brake pads with a quality anti-squeal compound. Wurth makes a couple of nice ones. Wurth Anti-Squeal Spray is an aerosol spray that puts a thick heat-resistant polymer adhesive on the back of the pad to help cushion the pad from the caliper pistons and help the pad retract with the piston. A second option is Wurth DBQ -2200 that comes in a can with a top that looks like a liquid shoe polish bottle. This is applied to the back of the brake pad like a shoe polish. I have found that a combination of the vibration dampers and a coating of one of the brake anti-squeal compounds usually reduces low speed squeal to a tolerable level. "
Old 09-21-2005, 12:57 PM
time4aspliff

I've only got (just barely) 4,000 miles on my 2003 Track and the Brembos have squeaked (off and on) since I took delivery of the car with 11 miles on the clock.

I agree it can be embarassing as it sounds like a car that hasn't been maintained... Perhaps I'll try an aftermarket pad...
Old 09-24-2005, 12:37 PM
pacificwindsurf

So we took our Z in and they replaced our brake pads. This basically eliminated the squeaky brake noises, except now when the car is cold it still squeaks a little at low speeds coming to a stop, but it seems that once the car warms up the noise stops.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:23 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried this as well, I put on the product called "brake quiet" It's basically a synthetic silicon compound to simulate high tempature grease but is stronger. It didn't help at all. I eventually changed my new pads to new Hawk HPS pads and they work.

Tackett, Do you remember what material it says your Hawks pads were made out of? Mine says they are made out of carbon-ferier or something like that. Try to get brake pads that are ceramic. The less metal it is made out of, the better.

Originally Posted by jerryv
I found this on a squealing break FAQ page. Anyone ever uses these Wurth products?

/Jerry

"A second option is to coat the back of the brake pads with a quality anti-squeal compound. Wurth makes a couple of nice ones. Wurth Anti-Squeal Spray is an aerosol spray that puts a thick heat-resistant polymer adhesive on the back of the pad to help cushion the pad from the caliper pistons and help the pad retract with the piston. A second option is Wurth DBQ -2200 that comes in a can with a top that looks like a liquid shoe polish bottle. This is applied to the back of the brake pad like a shoe polish. I have found that a combination of the vibration dampers and a coating of one of the brake anti-squeal compounds usually reduces low speed squeal to a tolerable level. "
Old 09-24-2005, 07:00 PM
cyclopz

As an update, I've had the Nismo Pads for about 4 months now and the are great. No Noise, No Dust and better braking then stock pads. Well worth it!
Old 10-09-2005, 11:34 AM
richie

do any of you guys get the same squeaky noise when you're not tapping on the brake? I've been having this on going squeaky noise when im coasting in like 3rd-4th gear. When I tap on the brake a little bit, it goes away...but its really bad sometimes. I have no idea what it is...if its the brakes, why does it make the squeak when I'm not applying the brakes?

anyone have any ideas??? help please
Old 10-09-2005, 12:13 PM
cyclopz

The wear sensors on the brakes only make noise when your not touching the brake pedal. When you apply the brakes the sensor is moved out of contact. So if your squeaking without touching the brakes chances are your front pads are worn.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:26 PM
richie

hmmmmm.....its only been 24K....how long do the pads usually last (brembos)? and i do drive very conservatively so i think i have a good amount left...

and i do hear the sqeeling from the rear too....what are the chances of the rears wearing out before the fronts???
Old 10-10-2005, 01:21 PM
cyclopz

I'd have'em checked to be sure, but they may be done.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes