Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Ztalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richie
hmmmmm.....its only been 24K....how long do the pads usually last (brembos)? and i do drive very conservatively so i think i have a good amount left...

and i do hear the sqeeling from the rear too....what are the chances of the rears wearing out before the fronts???

replaced my oem brake pads at 16k last week...the pads i replaced had less than half the thickness of the new oem pads. i replaced them due to a slight squeak before the car came to a complete stop. The rears are still in fine shape...may be another 15k before it needs replacing. i stayed with nissan pads due to bad experience with aftermarket parts in the past. i guess your rear brakes squeak is due to dust built up...just take it out and service the damn thing. Nissan made their brakes for do-it-yourselfers...it took me an hour to replace the front brake pads...very straight forward following the instructions (unlike the BMW/ alot trickier)....they shouldn't squeak at all after replacement. It was a piece of cake.
good luck.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:33 AM
richie

Originally Posted by Ztalker
replaced my oem brake pads at 16k last week...the pads i replaced had less than half the thickness of the new oem pads. i replaced them due to a slight squeak before the car came to a complete stop. The rears are still in fine shape...may be another 15k before it needs replacing. i stayed with nissan pads due to bad experience with aftermarket parts in the past. i guess your rear brakes squeak is due to dust built up...just take it out and service the damn thing. Nissan made their brakes for do-it-yourselfers...it took me an hour to replace the front brake pads...very straight forward following the instructions (unlike the BMW/ alot trickier)....they shouldn't squeak at all after replacement. It was a piece of cake.
good luck.
mmmm....stupid question, but what is involved in "servicing" the pad? just take it out and clean the pad off? what do you use to clean the pad with...cloth and ???
Old 10-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Ztalker

i was referring only to the factory brakes....i've never worked on Brembos before, so i don't know the exact service procedures. But if i'm not mistaken ...they are known to be much easier to work on. Use a product call BRAKE KLEEN (comes in a spray can/sold in autoparts stores) spray the entire assembly and get all the brake dust off (make sure you don't stain your garage floor in the process). Here comes the critical step, you'll need to grease the critical areas by following instructions. The gel lubricants usually come in the kit...they are supposed to stop the squeaking. Finally,the brake calipers will need to be C-clamped in order to accomodate the new pads...good luck richie....
Old 02-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Bizzbuzz

Default brakes squeak

My brakes squeak like crazy. I took it to the dealer at about 20,000 and they replaced the front ones. However, they installed them upside down, and backwards. I noticed the retaining clips sticking straight out within a couple of weeks of service and showed the dealer. They were like "Oops" , reinstalled them, but they squeak worse than ever. They even turned the rotors, but no help.
Does anyone have a solution to the squeak thing? Should I just replace the car?? Its really embarrassing
VigilantDoc@hotmail.com
Old 02-18-2006, 10:52 AM
steela2110

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you notice how old this thread was?

Originally Posted by Bizzbuzz
My brakes squeak like crazy. I took it to the dealer at about 20,000 and they replaced the front ones. However, they installed them upside down, and backwards. I noticed the retaining clips sticking straight out within a couple of weeks of service and showed the dealer. They were like "Oops" , reinstalled them, but they squeak worse than ever. They even turned the rotors, but no help.
Does anyone have a solution to the squeak thing? Should I just replace the car?? Its really embarrassing
VigilantDoc@hotmail.com
Old 02-18-2006, 07:14 PM
jerryv

Originally Posted by steela2110
Did you notice how old this thread was?
Yea, but my brakes still squeak. The dealer says hot weather, humid weather ya-da-ya-da. None of my other cars squeak in the same conditions - only the Z. It is especially bad in stop and go traffic. Very embarrassing.

/Jerry
Old 03-12-2006, 11:14 PM
RED Z

yeah my brakes squeak too. it is very embarrassing to hear that when u pull up in the Z. i also have problems with the brake dust, it is alot in the front and barely nothing in the back... is the brake dust a problem too? i have another question... do ne of u guys have diff. rims and still have the same prob with the brakes? cause im planning to get new rims to go with my veilside version 3 wide body kit and if so i would like to get rid of the problem