Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

SES (Service Engine Soon), TCS OFF, Slip lights came on! What's the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation SES (Service Engine Soon), TCS OFF, Slip lights came on! What's the cause?

Hey there,

I've been looking through the forums and found an older post, and I've found some posts on other forums, but nothing specific, so I was hoping someone might be able to give me a better answer to what my problem might be. This is what happened:

I was driving my '05 roadster (8000 miles on it) last Monday for 15 minutes or so, about 80mph, suddenly car started "stuttering", rpms going up and down, but no lights or anything. Stopped the car on the side, turned it off and on again, worked fine. Still brought it to the dealer because I just had it services last week. They couldn't find anything, so I picked it up again.

Today I'm driving home, suddenly same symptoms, gas not working, stuttering, rpms going up and down, but no lights. I brought the car to a stop on the side, turned it off and on again, this time SES (Service Engine soon), TCS OFF, and Slip lights came on. Even without doing anything rpms moving up and down, unable to start driving. Tried this like four or five times, same result. Left the car off for 7 or 8 minutes, then tried again, this time only SES light stayed on, was able to continue driving home. Haven't touched the car since, I'll probably bring it to the dealership again tomorrow but I don't know if anyone will even look at it before Tuesday. There goes my Memorial Day weekend :-(

What I've found on different postings are these possible causes:
Throttle body (what IS this?), Oxygen Sensor, TCS sensor.

Anyone who knows anything specific? Help very much appreciated, since the dealership didn't seem to know anything about this.

Thanks,
Legend

---

2005 350Z Roadster
6 Speed Manual
Old 05-27-2005, 07:06 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Same thing happened to me, and I have an 05 Roadster, I played with TCS a few times and turned it on/off like 3 separate times, and the car shuttered and RPM's did not work, then worked, airbag light came on, and it would not go. I shut the car off about 3-4 times and on the 5th try everything is normal. Has been normal ever since it happened last week. I am not sure what the problem is either.

I have no mods but a K&N drop-in thats not been re-oiled yet. I think its the TCS sensor, if there is a TCS sensor, cause when I played with mine, thats when the problem started happening.

BTW, I have never driven this car hard, heck, never even squealed the tires!

Last edited by zand02max; 05-27-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Legend

Follow-up: I brought my Roadster to the dealership now, they said they will call up the Nissan Technician Line since this is the second time I'm dropping the car off with the same problem in one week. I took like half an hour to describe exactly to the guy how and in which order the lights came on and what the car did while they were on. I hope that helps to get a good diagnosis. He will call me back by 3pm today, I will edit this post then with any results I get back.

zand02max: I usually don't drive the car super hard, sometimes I push it, but I never redline it or try any stupid stunts with it. However, I don't think this problem has anything to do with how the car is being driven, when it happened the second time I was driving in the city with 35mph, which is hardly hard driving ;-)
Old 05-28-2005, 12:55 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Keep us posted. Oh and BTW, mine only went off while messing with TCS a few times. Has not happened since, but then again I only drive the Roadster on the weekends.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:35 PM
pico350z

Originally Posted by Legend
Hey there,

I've been looking through the forums and found an older post, and I've found some posts on other forums, but nothing specific, so I was hoping someone might be able to give me a better answer to what my problem might be. This is what happened:

I was driving my '05 roadster (8000 miles on it) last Monday for 15 minutes or so, about 80mph, suddenly car started "stuttering", rpms going up and down, but no lights or anything. Stopped the car on the side, turned it off and on again, worked fine. Still brought it to the dealer because I just had it services last week. They couldn't find anything, so I picked it up again.

Today I'm driving home, suddenly same symptoms, gas not working, stuttering, rpms going up and down, but no lights. I brought the car to a stop on the side, turned it off and on again, this time SES (Service Engine soon), TCS OFF, and Slip lights came on. Even without doing anything rpms moving up and down, unable to start driving. Tried this like four or five times, same result. Left the car off for 7 or 8 minutes, then tried again, this time only SES light stayed on, was able to continue driving home. Haven't touched the car since, I'll probably bring it to the dealership again tomorrow but I don't know if anyone will even look at it before Tuesday. There goes my Memorial Day weekend :-(

What I've found on different postings are these possible causes:
Throttle body (what IS this?), Oxygen Sensor, TCS sensor.

Anyone who knows anything specific? Help very much appreciated, since the dealership didn't seem to know anything about this.

Thanks,
Legend

---

2005 350Z Roadster
6 Speed Manual
At 10801 mine did the exact same thing. My mods team hooked it up and determined it was a throttle position sensor which has not returned, hence, replacement or further evaluation not necessary. Not sure why, but it had been raining earlier. Slip light came on--TCS light was turned off--and SES light came on. There was a strange surge on the Tach and a stutter at the time of the event. No big thing according to my Mods team guy at ZCG in san jose. rich.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:41 PM
pico350z

Additionally, it may occur when starting your cherished Z. For some strange reason, when starting your Z after not driving it overnight, all three lights, SES, Slip, & TCS come on, accompanied with a stutter type of start. When turned off, the SES light remains. Error code is throttle position sensor along with some sort of number. rich, san jose, ca
Old 06-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Legend

Default Repaired

So I got my car back today (after 5 days!!! because of Memorial Day weekend), they finally diagnosed it as Crank Shaft Position Sensor malfunction (?). I have no idea if that even makes sense for the symptoms I had, but I guess I'll see if it's better now. Ride home was without problems, but last time it took a couple of days to appear again. If there are more problems in the future, I'll append them to this thread.

Thanks to everyone who responded for their help!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:04 PM
jackwhale

Thanks Legend for the description. I have a 2003 and I do remember a tsb notification on the crank sensor...I don't recall the details. I assume these are the sensors for our crank fired ignition.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:34 PM
mdmike

Let us know what you find out. I am now throwing a code DTC P1229 (Sensor Power Supply) with the TP Sensor. Car went into limp mode then after 5 mins the car fired up with the Service Engine soon light on. I have already have my Throttle Cable replaced. when it through this error two weeks ago. My car is going back in next Tuesday.

This sucks. 28K mile on it.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:07 AM
mdmike

It was the Throttle paddle that was replaced.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:24 PM
BigNDFW

I had the same issue at about 9K. The problem found was gas pedal was out of range. You started the car and TCS and Slip came on followed by SES. The SES light would stay on until the computer was reset by the dealer. It took some time to get the pedal in but after it was replaced I had no further problems.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone else having this problem? Mine started a few weeks ago
Old 08-01-2005, 09:45 AM
kurisuchan

my z has had the same problems, the code she threw(finally) was for crank position sensor.

note that my z is an '05.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by kurisuchan
my z has had the same problems, the code she threw(finally) was for crank position sensor.

note that my z is an '05.
Hmm, I guess I should add mine. 2004.5 here at 13K miles

How long was she down for? Who did you take it to for maintenance and what did they replace?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:05 PM
kurisuchan

she is still down, it's been about a week now, planning on towing to performance nissan either tomorrow or weds -- thanks jeff.

just to state the obvious ...

be weary of where you take your car in for warranty claims, some dealers can be out right retarded when it comes to mods, so go to a reputable dealer -- better safe then sorry.

regards,
christian

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Hmm, I guess I should add mine. 2004.5 here at 13K miles

How long was she down for? Who did you take it to for maintenance and what did they replace?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by kurisuchan
she is still down, it's been about a week now, planning on towing to performance nissan either tomorrow or weds -- thanks jeff.

just to state the obvious ...

be weary of where you take your car in for warranty claims, some dealers can be out right retarded when it comes to mods, so go to a reputable dealer -- better safe then sorry.

regards,
christian
Yeah, i'm going to performance Nissan as well. I had a mishap this morning with one of their service guys, but handled it just fine with their manager.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Turns out that the culprit is a bad crank angle sensor! I hope this helps everyone
Old 03-29-2006, 01:19 PM
[Marduke]Bogart

I have been having the same problem with my Z going into safe mode for probably a year. It's gone into safe mode during spirited driving, and it's even done it while trying to pull out of drive to get onto a main street going about 12 MPH. I've posted about this previously and had no responses. I've taken it to the dealership every time it has gone into safe mode and nothing has been done to fix it. Mainly there response is they can't get it to duplicate. I've taken techs on test drives with the Consult hooked up but it hasn't done it yet. I've given them some of the info off of these and other forums about wheel speed sensors and the ABS info but they won't do anything until it acts up. I had the crank position sensor replaced (atleast that's what they told me) not long after the TSB came out. My problem now is that my warranty is 1.5 months/3000 miles away from being up and still nothing has been fixed. I've tried to be as nice to these people knowing that if I flame them I'm sure I won't get anything fixed right, but still nothing.

So what do you guys think I should do? What else could it be?

My mods: JWT Pop charger, JWT F/W, Nismo clutch, Injen SES exhaust, Top Speed headers, had Top Speed test pipes but put the stock cats back on.

Help plz.....

Last edited by [Marduke]Bogart; 03-29-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Dildorado

Just had this crap happen to me, 16000 km (10 000 miles). I started the car after 30 mins off and it went right into limp mode. I turned it off and restarted and everything was fine except the SES light is still on. Can i still drive with this? My dealership always takes forever for appointments
Old 04-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Dildorado

Well my problem has been fixed the dealership changed the throttle body sensor.

Quick Reply: SES (Service Engine Soon), TCS OFF, Slip lights came on! What's the cause?