Old 05-31-2005, 03:39 PM
zipgun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And dont forget the wheel locks
Old 05-31-2005, 05:42 PM
taurran

Sorry to hear about your wheels.

A good aftermarket alarm might help. I live in an apartment complex as well, and am going to be putting on my aftermarket wheels this weekend. I went ahead and ordered a Compustar 2WSS-AS alarm w/ 2-way pager for added measure. This way if someone even looks at my car wrong my pager will wake me up to go fight them until they die from it.

Of course, I will have locking lugs as well.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:33 PM
vj518

Yes WHEEL LOCKS! 2 sets!

Dont know if it really serves a purpose...but now im trying to be extra cautious. The 2 way paging system is also something im considering. I won't be living here much longer but...it will be worth it any which way.

Adjuster's estimate came to about $4800 for wheels, tires, sensors, wheel balancing and repairs to the guard around the one rotor. It may still go up from there depending on body damage on the one side where the tire is supporting the car.

The Rays wheels are $1400 a piece (adjuster had me pick my wheels from the 17" 18" perf and Rays) and if it was those, it would have been 7500+ which is crazy. I was honest though and told em I had the 18" perf's.

So im pretty sure im going to buy used Rays wheels and tires for approx $1300. Good deal? Then take the car to the dealer for the rest of the repairs. Hopefully the costs don't go up to much. Anyone see problems with that for insurance purposes? Or once the check is mine its mine and anything extra they have to give me the money for that as well....is that the way it works?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:19 AM
boma

It would be cool if someone put some kind of loud sensor in the wheels/tires so that if they were removed past a certain distance, they'd make a loud noise like an alarm.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:20 AM
CLETUS

to protect your *** from the insurance guys i would get a quote on 4 new performance rims, tires, tpms, mounting, balancing from atleast 3 different nissan dealerships. use this to get the most you can from your ins company. after you get wheels on the car have it towed to a dealer ship of your choice with a competant body shop and have the whole car looked over. insurace should pay for this as well. insurance is going to try to get out of this as cheap as possible and you need to protect yourself from getting fcut.

good luck keep us posted.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:28 AM
vj518

Well I need to buy wheels just to get it moved. So, if I put new wheels on it and get it towed or drive it to dealership are they still going to quote for new wheels and tires from nissan?? Even if I dont want them at this point and the check is mine? I guess thats my biggest concern. Getting them used is obviously much cheaper.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:48 PM
CLETUS

if you have a fax # for your insurance agent call atleast 3 differnet dealerships and have them fax an estimate to your insurance. tell your insurance you are doing this so they know to look for it. when they decide on a $$$ have them cut you a check so you can get some wheels on it, then have it towed. if that is to much trouble maybe a local member could rent or let you borrow some wheels to get it towed. i would not drive it until a body shop gives the ok. by the way is your insurance covering a rental car while your main ride is out of commision?????? good luck, dont let down because the insurance wont keep up with it unless you do

if you get some loaners insurance should still cover your stolen wheels.....they were taken from you and you are paying a premium so why shouldn't they cover the items in the claim???????
Old 06-01-2005, 02:34 PM
bwilliams

Cletus is providing very good advise. May I offer this:
The $$ you get paid in the end is a function of what you can prove to the agent. The agent does NOT have the final word. If you prove that replacement cost to "make you whole" is higher than the agents OFFER, you are entitled to what you have proven. An agents claim that he found used parts for $xx, is bogus.
Once again, protect yourself and stand firm. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:50 PM
vj518

My wheels were original so i am fine on that end. They gave me no problems with giving me full replacement money for all parts. $760 a wheel for 18" performance. That's the replacement costs. 17" were $570 or so, and the Rays were $1400 a piece. Adjuster had me pick so i saw all the prices in his program.

My question was mainly that, I just bought Rays and tires for $1300. I needed something to get the car moved and I wasn't getting anyway. Yes I realize I could have gotten nicer rims, but where the car is, it doesnt need any more attention obviously. And I need to get it out of the parking lot and couldnt find anyone that would give me loaners, spares, or anything else. So now tomorrow im going to put these new wheels on it and have it towed (as to not do any other damage).

If there is additional damage, then the dealer will report that to insurance and they'll add that to the check....correct? Along with towing? Regardless of the fact that im not getting new wheels from the dealer directly, because the check is to replace the costs of the wheels that were there. Where I spend the check doesn't really matter. Right? Guess it doesn't matter since i bought these already...haha.

Well, hopefully there isn't much damage to anything else. We shall see. Any recommendations for locking lugs? Someone had mentioned McGuards...any others? I'm also thinking about just getting a new alarm installed also with tilt sensor etc. Any other ideas?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:33 PM
slowxturtle

what if the ajustor claims you are doing insurance fraud since you have the wheels back on your car. He doesn't know where you got it..
Old 06-02-2005, 05:03 AM
vj518

I guess the only way is by a receipt? That is a good point though. I didn't think about that. Hmm...Hope this doesnt cause more problems than its worth.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:54 AM
CLETUS

shouldn't cause a problem, you had to get it rolling somehow. eventhough you have replaced teh wheels, insurance should write you a check for rims, tires, tpms, mounting, balancing, and whatever the bodyshop/dealer fixes. when you are having the car towed call the dealer where it is going and tell them the whole situation. sh*t stolen and you are filing an insurance claim. be sure insurance is going to pay you and not cut a chekc to the dealer. if they are cutting a check to the dealer you should get the money for rims, tires, tpms, and m+b. the dealer/bodyshop should get the $$ for fixing whatever is broken, dont let them give all the money to the dealer. good luck, stay on top of it!!!!!!!

for wheel locks i have used mcgard before, but i also had a set of spline drive nuts also, so it was like having 2 set of locks. it was a pian to change a wheel with 2 different wheel lock keys, but no one stole my wheels.

Last edited by CLETUS; 06-02-2005 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 AM
slowxturtle

Yes, A receipt, that shows $1300. So they cut you a check for $1300 as that was the replacement cost... you did all the work for them. If I were you, I would have let it stay on bricks and let the adjuster come out to you.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:33 AM
CLETUS

how does the adjuster know those wern't in shipping, or at a friends house that he was buying them from. DOES NOT MATTER. insurance should pay for the items stolen. thats the whole point of having it and filing the claim.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:59 AM
slowxturtle

They will pay him, no matter if they think it was stolen or not, if they can't prove it. But if he shows a receipt for $1300 for the replacement cost, which basically shows how much he paid to replace the wheels, that's what they will pay him. Isn't it? Isn't that basically an estimate that he acted on? Do they expect him to buy a 2nd set of exact same wheels with the money they give him? I dunno, it's a bad situation. I would have just had the adjuster come out and then get some quotes from dealers have it faxed, and then receive my check in the mail. As far as damage, you don't need an adjuster to inspect for damages? It's not like it was in an accident with possible frame damage. A visual inspection for even scratches or dents would tell him if professional inspection is neccessary. Not sure if there were marks left, so I can't really say anything. Anyhow, good luck and I don't really know anything so this is just all my own assumptions. I hope they cut you a fat check that you can pocket or use for your car security.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:11 PM
vj518

I did leave it on bricks. Adjuster came out and saw it on bricks. I bought wheels last night because I had few choices in moving the car or getting it to the dealer. Couldn't scrape together enough donuts that would fit on it for towing. So I went and bought used wheels and tires, put those on the car and it had towed today, (Just in case). I could have driven to nissan though. Wanted to be careful though, just in case there was any other damage. Everything looks to be good so far. So im not too worried. I do have wheel locks now as well. Insurance is just sending me the check so ill pay nissan out of my pocket and already bought my wheels so...im in ok shape. Hopefully they dont get taken again.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:54 PM
tractng

Guys,

On a side note, if you have aftermarket rims that you bought it used, how would the adjusterd deal in this situation.

I am sure a lot of us here bought aftermarket (used) rims.

For me, i was given the original receipt when I bought the used rims. Don't know if it serves any purposes.

Tony
Old 06-02-2005, 04:28 PM
slowxturtle

I think, at least in some cases, depending on your insurance policy, it will cover up to a certain amount for aftermarket items. For my friend who messed up his wheels, he got $1000 maximum payout for aftermarket accessories since it could not be fixed under his comprehensive policy. He had 19" SSR GT3 wheels.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:49 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Had my Touring 18's stolen also. Car was on blocks when I found it. definitely examine under carrige. My side rocker panels had to both be replaced as well as the rear bumper. Four tires, rims & sensors ran a little over 6k. This was in Texas.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:08 AM
kjbalto

I had the same thing happen to me on my old car and I actually had wheel locks. My friend works for Chevy and he said they have a tool that takes off wheel locks. Apparently, anybody can get it. So basically if you have wheels that somebody wants and you don't park in a garage or a lit up area, then you are taking a chance. I came home to my car on jacks and they also stole my radio, speakerbox and amp. They even popped my hood and stole the K&N filter!! I'm getting angry thinking about this again. It happened about 5 years ago. So watch out. Wheel locks will not stop them if they want them.