Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

I am RETURNING the Bose system!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 04:27 AM
grogsnorf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am RETURNING the Bose system!!!!!

I had it with this sound system on my touring. This was a big blunder for the Z...............I am demanding the Dealer return this system to Bose and refund my money. I will not take "no" for an answer. If they will not do this..I will uninstall the system and return it to Bose myself. Does anyone else feel this way?
Is there some way all dissatisfied Bose Z owners can do this together?

To Nissan:
To rebate or not to rebate, that is the question!

Thanx,
Grogs

(Sorry for venting)
Old 12-05-2002, 05:53 AM
jelledge

Default Let us know what happens

Keep us informed of what happens. I am also very unhappy with the system even after the BLOSE amp replacement.

I was considering squeezing on Nissan to make them do something.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:00 AM
6kLaunch

I am afraid to Nissan replace the amp as it seems the performance gets poorer after the replacement. As it is now, at least I can adjust the bass to almost tolerable levels. Even with the bass adjusted, there are no highs and the mids are not much either.

I am VERY DISSAPOINTED with this sound system.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:52 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I feel the same way...

The BOSE system BLOWS ! I have heard better Delco systems.

I have a Touring model with NAV, and the NAV integration into the car and the stereo system is nice and was well done, but the overall sound system suxxx...bad. I am going to replace all of the speakers, or at least the fronts, and put in some decent seperates. I may put some upgraded rears in as well, but probably some economical 2-ways. I will most likely keep the factory amp to power the new speakers, but I will be pulling the sub, and not using anything sub related from the factory Bose system...my lows are muddy, and the crossover point is way too high. I think a good pair of seperates will clear up the highs and midrange even if I use the factory Bose (clarion) amp. I would like to have a little more control than just bass and treble, but I always thought clarion made crap, and this Bose system definitely clarified what I thought.

I am curious to see what Nissan gives you for your troubles, and I have a feeling that it won't be much--do you have a good lawyer, b/c that's what I feel this would take to get anything done. I will continue to follow this thread, and I will jump on hte bandwagon and join forces if you think you can use my help...I definitely feel the same way you do about the Bose system.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:14 AM
grogsnorf

I am sure we have a few lawers that own a new Z on this site.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:21 AM
mattvols

My Bose sucks too. I had called Nissan and they verified that my VIN number had the potential to have this "Bose" problem. I took it to a dealer and they did the testing, per their service bulletin and found nothing wrong by following the instructions. Yet, they agreed that the system sucks due to the road noise sensor that adjust the volume. Yes, it was working right, but working right, it sucks.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:27 AM
grutter

Does anyone have a later Z (VIN after JN1ZA34E83T005616 or after JN1ZA34D63T104720). These vehicles are not covered under theTSB for the BOSE Audio Pilot - Overboosted bass problem. Supposedly the problem is now fixed.. at least the bass amp shouldn't be an issue.

I'm curious because my Touring is due in December, and will have a later VIN. Am I going to have the same problem ??? Every car I checked so far has had lower VIN's, and the sound system sucks.

Just wondering if Nissan has fixed the problem in later vehicles
Thanks
G
Old 12-05-2002, 01:29 PM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I am RETURNING the Bose system!!!!!

Originally posted by grogsnorf
I had it with this sound system on my touring. This was a big blunder for the Z...............I am demanding the Dealer return this system to Bose and refund my money. I will not take "no" for an answer. If they will not do this..I will uninstall the system and return it to Bose myself. Does anyone else feel this way?
Is there some way all dissatisfied Bose Z owners can do this together?

To Nissan:
To rebate or not to rebate, that is the question!

Thanx,
Grogs

(Sorry for venting)
I'd do this, if there is hope. But there isn't any hope that they'll reimburse you. If you didn't like the stereo, why did you buy it (and car)? You never saw car prior to buying? Who cares... you did testdrive, didn't you?

Since I don't want to spend a lot on secondary things, I'll just keep Bose for now. Most of the time it's adjusted to be lower than my Passport anyway.

What I'd really like to do is to deinstall clock from Bose, and install nice analog clock somewhere else... and send Nissan the bill. Just kidding

Last edited by Vlad; 12-05-2002 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:04 PM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I do...

I have the overboosted bass problem on my Touring Z with the Bose system...my VIN ends in 5908 and is not in the range specified by the TSB...what should I do? I have heard from others that the new amp that replaces the current one to fix the problem only makes things worse and leave you with no bass at all. I think I would rather be able t oturn it down than not have any at all...
Old 12-05-2002, 02:23 PM
golfman

I want to know how the stupid system passed the designers' standards at Nissan. Someone had to approve it...they must have been "high" during the testing...(I remember how music used to sound better with a buzz on in college).
Old 12-05-2002, 02:34 PM
jelledge

Default Amen

Damn you are so right about that. When I first got the car and had the boomy bass wife said didn't they bother to even test it?

I thought it pretty amazing that a car like this can go through months and months or track testing and what not but no one ever turned on the damn radio!
Old 12-05-2002, 03:22 PM
John Lehne

Default Bose system sucks!

I have to agree with you on the stereo- I just got my chrome silver touring model and love the car but the Bose stereo sucks!!
I have tried tweaking it every possible way and it still sounds terrible- my stock stereo in my 2000 Celica I traded in blows it away. I do not understand how this got past Nissan with them getting every detail of this car right except for this. I read the review for the Z in Car & Driver and they made a specific point
that the stereo speakers sounds like they are full of dryer lint! Good luck on getting results from Nissan- I will be definitely switching the stereo with something else!
Old 12-05-2002, 08:42 PM
droideka

Here's the deal. It's not the amp, it's the AudioPilot. The amp is a stop-gap to limit having to re-design the and replace head units. I've unplugged the AudioPilot mic THREE times now while experimenting. Everyone who has a Touring and has not had the amp replacement yet SHOULD TRY THIS. When you unplug the mic and crank the system, it sounds VERY DECENT until a few minutes pass and then the sound starts to drop way off and then BAM! It surges because the mic is tied into the sub amp which is daisy-chained into the other amps and finally into the head unit which is looking for a signal from the mic.

I'd want one of two things to happen.

1. BLOSE completely removes that worthless, POS AudioPilot from the system. They are the biggest ******** for not giving us a defeat of the AudioPilot in the first place like EVERY OTHER CAR HAS!!!

2. Nissan refunds the $1,000-1,200 I paid in upgrade so that I can apply that to my own aftermarket set-up.

I asked for a new amp on Oct 26th, the day after the TSB came out and my stupid-*** dealer STILL doesn't have it. I gave up calling last week because frankly, I don't want the new DE-TUNED amp. I'll get involved in whatever action/petitions you can come up.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:17 AM
mattvols

Droidekaus,

Good idea, but I think Nissan needs to come up with a way to overide the mic. I agree, it is not the amp, it is the mic that picks up the road noise. I am afraid to do what you did because I don't see myself getting reimbursed.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:27 PM
rdgrnr101

Default Bose System

The "only" thing that I do not like about my CS, Touring, AT, is the Bose System.

I have a 2000 Pathfinder LE that has the Bose System in it and it sounds better than the Z's system.

I believe that Nissan owes the good folk who pre-ordered their cars something better than a "rebuilt - refurbished" replacement part. I believe that the QC on the Bose System was not well done and as a result Nissan needs to get on the ball and make sure they satisfy their "best" customers.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:45 PM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

The Bose system on my Touring model came with the new amp - It does not seem to have any form of Audiopilot. Volume stays where you put it. The most curious thing about it is that the Base and Treble controls seem to have no effect. The fader and balance controls work as you'd expect, but it makes no difference cranking the base from -5 to +5.
Old 12-06-2002, 07:56 PM
droideka

Originally posted by Pooh2002
The most curious thing about it is that the Base and Treble controls seem to have no effect. The fader and balance controls work as you'd expect, but it makes no difference cranking the base from -5 to +5.
Curious? That's flat-out bullsh*t!

Bose:
"We'll detune the sub amp so that it just won't fire anymore. How's that sound?"

Nissan:
"Great! We've got a Murano to launch and can't be bothered we these Z buyers anymore."

FU, Nissan. FU.
Old 12-07-2002, 05:56 AM
ziscoming

My .02...
I took delivery of my Loaded Touring in November and it came with the "new amp" so I can say this about it..

I have no problems with the auto-pilot volume control as it isnt sensitive or changes drastically-it works as it should.

The AM/FM sound is poor for sure. It sounds as if it just isnt getting the highs and lows at all.

The CD sounds comparitively good. I get nice bass and some highs-I have no problems with the sub at all as it sounds fine.

I have nav and it works flawlessly with this system. Would i change out the Bose-If it didnt have a CD changer yes but otherwise its fine with 6 CD's.

Try some R and B discs and mix it with Van Morrison/DMB and youll be ok.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:14 AM
N74DV

Default Re: Re: I am RETURNING the Bose system!!!!!

Originally posted by Vlad
If you didn't like the stereo, why did you buy it (and car)? You never saw car prior to buying? Who cares... you did testdrive, didn't you?
this argument doesn't work for Touring owners who were affected by the amp TSB. because.....

When I drove the car and heard how shitty the sound was, I was told by my salesman that there was a fix in order and Nissan would correct the problem.

The TSB was supposed to fix it... it did not. Therefore, no matter if I test drove it or not, what was promised to me ( a great sounding stereo) was not and still is not delivered.

I'm contacting nissan (1.800.nissan.1) and politely demanding that I get a refund OR a Rockford Fosgate system installed.

Why the hell didn't they do a Fosgate install in the first place like the Sentra.... sounds 500% better than my Blose.

Quick Reply: I am RETURNING the Bose system!!!!!