Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

ABS+VDC Off+SLIP lights on = blown brake light fuse

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 09:24 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation ABS+VDC Off+SLIP lights on = blown brake light fuse

Yup, happened tonight on my way home.

Pulling my trailer, I noticed that the left turn signal wasn't working correctly. OK, probably a short somewhere in the trailer wiring.

Pulled up at a stop light, and suddenly the ABS, VDC off, and SLIP lights all come on. Get home, and try turning the car off and back on, lights are off. Put on the brakes, the lights all go back on.

Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. I checked the OM and FSM, nothing except to take it into the dealer.

It was then that I noticed that I had no brake lights (no reflection of brake lights on the garage door). Looking at the fuse wasn't really conclusive -- it might be blown, it might not. Swapping the fuse with the one for the fuel door gave me brake lights and no fuel door. BINGO!

One new fuse later, and the problem is fixed. So, if you get those three lights, check your brake like fuse.

P.S. I figured out what happened on the trailer -- a wire had gotten caught between the hook holding the tires down and the frame, grounding that circuit and causing the fuse to blow.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:15 PM
VQ35DECivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So wait a second... if the brake light fuse is what caused all that... can one disable VDC/TCS by removing that fuse then?