Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

transmission whining...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 06:15 AM
matt sherman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission whining...?

i only notice when i'm cruising on the highway in high gears. I flushed the tranny and refilled it. The previous owner of the car said that he had it looked at by Nissan under warranty and they said that it's normal.

Just curious if anyone else is getting this or if I should have nissan look at it again under warranty. I've been reading and hearing alot about the 03 tranny's, so I just want to make sure this nonsense is fixed before the warranty is up.

It's not at all a LOUD whining, and it doesn't happen that I've noticed in lowered gears cruising or under accelleration in any gear, it's simply only when cruising at the same rpm in a high gear.

Matt
Old 12-09-2005, 04:13 PM
boogey76

Originally Posted by matt sherman
i only notice when i'm cruising on the highway in high gears. I flushed the tranny and refilled it. The previous owner of the car said that he had it looked at by Nissan under warranty and they said that it's normal.

Just curious if anyone else is getting this or if I should have nissan look at it again under warranty. I've been reading and hearing alot about the 03 tranny's, so I just want to make sure this nonsense is fixed before the warranty is up.

It's not at all a LOUD whining, and it doesn't happen that I've noticed in lowered gears cruising or under accelleration in any gear, it's simply only when cruising at the same rpm in a high gear.

Matt

I noticed this 2 weeks after i got my car...right now i have around 2200KM on it..2005 6speed manual.
i noticed this in 2nd gear at around 2-3K rpm being steady on the throttle..and more noticable in sixth gear at exactly in between 3000 to3200 RPM...its a whining , whistling sound..like wind in a tunnel ..once i get over that speed or below , its gone...
I freaked out , thought my tranny is gone...
but what is it..??
are u sure its the throttle body?...cuz i never noticed this before...
maybe i wasnt listening to it, and then heard it by chance....so i cant be sure if it was their from the start...

help!! I am going to Nissan for an alignment for the wheels and to raise the lights a bit cuz they shoot too close ahead of the car..
u think i should tell the dealer to check it out??
Old 12-09-2005, 06:23 PM
kewlii

yeah, i have the same problem. when it first started it, it only whined when I cold started it. but now the whining noise is very persistent. whenever i hit 3K RPM or so, it starts whining doesn't matter if i have been driving around all day or not.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:07 PM
kbiz

I only notice tranny gear sounds in low gears... never on the freeway. I don't notice any intake sounds myself at 34k... I have the stock intake, however.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Z_xtc

Originally Posted by kbiz
I only notice tranny gear sounds in low gears... never on the freeway. I don't notice any intake sounds myself at 34k... I have the stock intake, however.
(Note: I know this thread is a bit old, but it's an ongoing problem for so many z owners.) I've had a whine since day one, and thought it was the ring & pinion gears but putting in additives or synthetic in the rear end didn't affect the noise at all. So I changed the tranny oil to Amsoil synthetic, and it made a very noticeable difference. I put the regular dino back in, and the noise came right back to where it was before. I wrestled with Nissan North America to replace the tranny, and after several visit with rep's, calls to NNA, the dealers, etc., they finally replaced it with a new one at around 16k miles. But the new one was no better than the first one; it whines just as bad if not worse! It starts around 45 mph and continues up through 80+ before getting drowned out by road & engine noise.

Since it does it just as bad in 4th, 5th, & 6th it's been determined to be in the tranny's final drive gears.

PS- I tried recently putting Redline gear oil in the tranny which didn't help the whine really, but it made a BIG improvement in high-rpm 1st-gear quick-shifts and speed-shifts as well as vastly improved shifting in the other gears too, even helped cold shifting (FWIW).
Old 02-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Z_xtc

Originally Posted by Z_xtc
Since it does it just as bad in 4th, 5th, & 6th it's been determined to be in the tranny's final drive gears.

PS- I tried recently putting Redline gear oil in the tranny which didn't help the whine really, but it made a BIG improvement in high-rpm 1st-gear quick-shifts and speed-shifts as well as vastly improved shifting in the other gears too, even helped cold shifting (FWIW).
Yeah, I know. . . shut up already! But "for enquiring minds that wanna know . . ."

Even changing my a$$-end to 3.917's didn't affect the whine issue at all!
Old 02-24-2006, 03:03 PM
RP-350Z

Mc350Z I too have that whine noise in first gear above 4K.

Ryan
Old 02-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Superhung

I get a whine on cold start only in 5th gear and goes away after the car is warmed up. I already have Amsoil synthetic in the tranny, doesn't seem to help.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:23 AM
maxpowers

I had tranny whine at startup in cold temps. It went away after 5-10 minutes of driving.

After a few dealer vistis, they put in a new tranny.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:21 PM
aren21

anyone have the whine from 2nd gear on, happens at about half throttle. Its just as loud as the engine noise, like it has straight cut gears or something. I dont know if it just started, or I just noticed it. Is this normal???
Old 03-21-2006, 01:19 PM
mberthia

Originally Posted by Superhung
I get a whine on cold start only in 5th gear and goes away after the car is warmed up. I already have Amsoil synthetic in the tranny, doesn't seem to help.
Superhung,

I changed to Amsoil also. Do you experience hard 1st and 2nd gear shifts when cold ? It's like the gear won't engage. It take a lot of force to push the shifter in or I need to clutch out and back in. Within 5 mins it's warm enough and engages propely.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:12 PM
tenpenniesz

Got the same problem here, my transmission starts to whine at about 75-85mph or 3500 to 4500 rpms. It seems to be the worst when I reach speed and lay off the accelerator. Definitely the transmission since the noice dissapears once I place the transmission in neutral.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Superhung

Originally Posted by mberthia
Superhung,

I changed to Amsoil also. Do you experience hard 1st and 2nd gear shifts when cold ? It's like the gear won't engage. It take a lot of force to push the shifter in or I need to clutch out and back in. Within 5 mins it's warm enough and engages propely.
Yup exact same thing here. I hate 1st to 2nd gear shifts when the car is not warmed up. It was 100x worse when I had the B&M short shifter installed. I sometimes wouldn't be able to engage into 2nd (stuck in 1st) for the first 5-10 minutes of driving.

I've now pumped some Auto-RX (www.auto-rx.com) fluid into the existing tranny fluid and plan to drain & refill with Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 next to see if that changes anything.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:02 PM
aren21

^ superhung, let us know if anything changes when you add the royal purple max gear, hopefully it makes shifting smoother.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:31 AM
mberthia

Originally Posted by Superhung
Yup exact same thing here. I hate 1st to 2nd gear shifts when the car is not warmed up. It was 100x worse when I had the B&M short shifter installed. I sometimes wouldn't be able to engage into 2nd (stuck in 1st) for the first 5-10 minutes of driving.

I've now pumped some Auto-RX (www.auto-rx.com) fluid into the existing tranny fluid and plan to drain & refill with Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 next to see if that changes anything.
Good too hear... but bad... At least I know it really was the Amsoil fluid. When do you plan on changing to Royal Purple? Soon or later this year? I sure would like to get your feedback.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Superhung

Originally Posted by mberthia
Good too hear... but bad... At least I know it really was the Amsoil fluid. When do you plan on changing to Royal Purple? Soon or later this year? I sure would like to get your feedback.
The Auto-Rx is supposed to be run for 1,000 miles and then drain & refilled. I just put it in the Z and it is not my daily driver, so I can't really tell you when I'll be swapping to Royal Purple. But I really want to see if this Auto-RX / Royal Purple combo really works, or if it's all just hype, so I'll just try driving the Z every other day for 1k miles. I'll post when I get the change done.