Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 PM
SponGer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Killermove
Got my replacement window motor from AutoZone Friday and put it in yesterday. Worked like charm after doing the window regulator reset function (had my wife hold the door closed button so I didn't have to take off the door panel - worked great). I guess the old motor just couldn't handle it even after cleaning. Thanks for all the help!
Good job! I was about to recommend getting a new motor after reading your posts. I can't believe how bad the stock motors suck. I've had 15+ year window motors on other cars I've owned and never had a problem.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:54 PM
1nate7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my driver side window motor today. The motor responds and seems to work fine. However, the window is stuck in the down position. It starts to raise but it's like it's catching on something, only will go up about 1/2". Is this a position sensor issue? I tried to do the reset but I didn't have the door closed.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:57 PM
SponGer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1nate7, mine did the same when I originally replaced the motor. When you bolted up the window tracks to the door plate, did you do the top or bottom first? Mine worked after I undid the tracks and started with the bottom.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:17 PM
1nate7

Thanks for the reply, I did attach the bottom first. I am probably going to pull the passenger side panel tomorrow to see if I can figure out what is going on by looking at a known good one.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:11 PM
1nate7

Found the problem. The window would not roll up unless the "door closed" button was depressed. Did the window position reset procedure and everything is perfect.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:42 AM
mysttkal

I did the cleaning of the brushes the day before yesterday on my driver's side window in the middle of the night, in the dark mind you...it worked except my window goes back down partially win I use the auto-close function...What am I doing wrong??? Please help...!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:50 AM
LBkr

Originally Posted by mysttkal
I did the cleaning of the brushes the day before yesterday on my driver's side window in the middle of the night, in the dark mind you...it worked except my window goes back down partially win I use the auto-close function...What am I doing wrong??? Please help...!
You need to do an official Nissan reset procedure. Please see post #290 and #293 on page 15 of this thread.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Tekwon-V

i just cleaned my driver side motor today. it works like new. i hope it lasts.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:23 PM
ladyzed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mxjosh711
mine did the same thing, can is under warranty too and they wont fix it!!!! they said its the window tint guys fault..... what crap!!
EXACTLY what the asshats @ Nissan told me!!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 04:30 AM
ghost

Is any of this related to grease streaking on the windows? I want to get my grease streaking fixed before I retint the windows, and I don't know what to replace to get rid of this issue. The dealer said there's a TSB for it, but that i'd have to pay, so, i'd prefer to do it myself to save money.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Killermove

Originally Posted by ghost
Is any of this related to grease streaking on the windows? I want to get my grease streaking fixed before I retint the windows, and I don't know what to replace to get rid of this issue. The dealer said there's a TSB for it, but that i'd have to pay, so, i'd prefer to do it myself to save money.
I had mine done under the TSB a long time ago. Didn't get charged a thing. Any repair under a TSB (which is a basically a voluntary recall) should never cost you anything.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Tekwon-V

Originally Posted by Tekwon-V
i just cleaned my driver side motor today. it works like new. i hope it lasts.
ok it lasted 2 days. now it doesnt work at all... at least it's stuck on "up" position.

what is this, a geo? WTF.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:18 PM
ghost

Originally Posted by Killermove
I had mine done under the TSB a long time ago. Didn't get charged a thing. Any repair under a TSB (which is a basically a voluntary recall) should never cost you anything.
The car's not under warranty, so I have to pay for parts. I did find out that the door window stopper kit is only $16 through the dealer though, so i'll be fixing it shortly.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 AM
ghost

I've got the parts to fix the grease streaks and will make a DIY soon.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Sk8fe

^^^Great! Can you post a link to that DIY thread here (somewhat related) so we can navigate to that easily as well? Thx
Old 04-09-2008, 08:36 PM
unknownuser

My 04 350z's driver side window was getting jacked up. just cleaned the motor today. it's working great now!

Great thread.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:32 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

I took the window motor apart, cleaned it thoroughly, and now it won't go back together... I've spent 3 hours today messing with it and even took it to the local auto parts store and they couldn't do anything, nor did they have any suggestions. I REALLY do not want to spend $150 on a new motor.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Agentman03

Default My First Window Problem

[Also having issues with my passenger side windo , would not go down today, but when you open the door it does it's little up/down thing, held down on my key fob and it worked ,the window went down, .. So the motor or fuse must be ok, but cant get the window to go back up by useing the driver or passenger side switches ? probably have to tear the door apart , something about maybe a reset switch on the motor ? ..also there is a 350z manual online at - 350ztech.com , explaining some of these issues ???
Old 04-18-2008, 04:26 AM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

Originally Posted by Agentman03
[Also having issues with my passenger side windo , would not go down today, but when you open the door it does it's little up/down thing, held down on my key fob and it worked ,the window went down, .. So the motor or fuse must be ok, but cant get the window to go back up by useing the driver or passenger side switches ? probably have to tear the door apart , something about maybe a reset switch on the motor ? ..also there is a 350z manual online at - 350ztech.com , explaining some of these issues ???
Sounds like all you need to do is a window reset, which is fairly easy to do. Go back to the first few pages of this thread and do some reading, they describe the procedure there (I don't recall on what page).

I gave in and just bought a new motor from Autozone. I will post up how it works after my install.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by MrKaira

I gave in and just bought a new motor from Autozone. I will post up how it works after my install.
I'll save you the trouble. It will work fine for a while then quit. I'm on my third Autozone motor. Hopefully this one will last a bit longer than 9 months like the other two.

Quick Reply: Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)