Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:02 AM
raduly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Integrity, you just saved me a bunch of money on my window fix . Just cleaned the brushes and everything works great. Took me less than an hour to complete, based on your instructions.
Thanx a million!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Big Blue

Hey,

I took apart my window and fixed the motor. It worked great for a month and then started acting up again. I broke down and got a new motor... I got one off ebay for about 150 shipped. I put the motor in and its going up and down great. The only problem I am having is reseting the motor. I roll it up and it goes all the way up and then comes half way down and stops. I hit the reset button and its not helping... Any suggestions? Maybe I am hitting the reset button at the wrong time? Well, any help would be nice... Thanks guys
Old 10-10-2007, 08:10 AM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by Big Blue
Hey,

I took apart my window and fixed the motor. It worked great for a month and then started acting up again. I broke down and got a new motor... I got one off ebay for about 150 shipped. I put the motor in and its going up and down great. The only problem I am having is reseting the motor. I roll it up and it goes all the way up and then comes half way down and stops. I hit the reset button and its not helping... Any suggestions? Maybe I am hitting the reset button at the wrong time? Well, any help would be nice... Thanks guys
Follow these instructions carefully. You need to either keep the door closed when you perform part of the window reset or push in button towards the rear of the door frame.

Last edited by dnguyent; 12-09-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:32 PM
dunpealhunter

Default putting door back together

I got replacement motors, but I am a little concerned on attaching the track back to the panel. The removal and installation of the motor looks pretty simple, but does the window stay in place when the bolts are removed? if not how do I align bolt holes with track and panel. I mean if the panel is up I can't lift the glass or see the track. Should I leave the window up or down or halfway up and use some kind of clamp to hold it in place?

Last edited by dunpealhunter; 10-11-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:43 AM
dunpealhunter

Originally Posted by dunpealhunter
I got replacement motors, but I am a little concerned on attaching the track back to the panel. The removal and installation of the motor looks pretty simple, but does the window stay in place when the bolts are removed? if not how do I align bolt holes with track and panel. I mean if the panel is up I can't lift the glass or see the track. Should I leave the window up or down or halfway up and use some kind of clamp to hold it in place?
Thanks, but I got it myself... Just used a C clamp to hold window in place, worked like a charm.. two new motors in 1 hr....
Old 10-22-2007, 04:45 PM
supra crazy

OMG I love you guys.....I was driving without a driver side window working for like 3 months, because I didn't feel like spending 250 on a new motor...to now find out it is that easy to fix I did this in like a half hour
Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 PM
tienedZ

hey guys- Whenever key is pulled from ignition, both windows roll down simultaneously. I can roll them up fine when key is in ignition, which shows that the motors still work fine. I know it's not the switch, because i bought a new switch. Anyone has the same problem? If i need to replace the motor(s), which side? driver, passenger or both??
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 AM
Integrity
Banned

Originally Posted by tienedZ
hey guys- Whenever key is pulled from ignition, both windows roll down simultaneously. I can roll them up fine when key is in ignition, which shows that the motors still work fine. I know it's not the switch, because i bought a new switch. Anyone has the same problem? If i need to replace the motor(s), which side? driver, passenger or both??
Its your motors, both of them.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:58 PM
kvjacobz

Ok, I'm confused somewhat. I've read through the entire thread, and my question is this: Is the window roll up and down 3-4 inches on auto and/or not doing the up/down door close routine related to a "dirty"/failed motor? I've had the driverside window "reset" (by the dealer of course before I read this thread) several times, but it always seems to revert to the roll back down on auto up/not move when closed thing. What causes this to happen?

And today, my passenger side window just crapped out (but worked some using the "wack method"). I'm going to try and clean both motors anyway (cause I'm a cheap a$$ and just spent some serious $$ on tires/maintenance/vacation).
Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Sk8fe

Same problem here. Just got through 13 pages of this thread. 03 Track with 25K miles and passenger side window wont go up and there is a clicking sound from the door. Window is currently all the way down.

Can someone please confirm, when attempting this fix, should the window be all the way up or all the way down? If down then I'm good. If it should be all the way up then I'm hoping that the "whack the door" method will work at least once to get the window all the way up.

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:44 PM
kvjacobz

You can still do it with the window down, it is just a little harder. I did it the first time with the window down, and I put the bottom bolts from the track through the metal panel and "walked them in" by pushing up on them with a flathead screw driver, and they just kind of slid into place. If you can get the window to go up a little, it is better because it gives you something to hold onto to line up the bolts. Also, make sure you don't do like me (an asstard) and put the screw for the armrest into the handle hole (this caused the nut to fall into the door once I wrestled it out of the wrong hole, and I had to take the door back apart and glue the nut back on using JB weld.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Sk8fe

Got the window up with the "whack the door panel" method. Don't know how many time I can go to that "cookie jar" though.

Dilemma: Local AutoZone says motor has to be sepcial ordered, $185 up front (no biggie) then $40 back for core ($145), but their supplier does not have any in stock! So I went to my local Advanced Auto Parts store. They were like $20 cheaper even after only $25 for core, but *their* supplier is out of stock! WTF! Of course local Nissan dealership has one in stock (I assuming new not a refurb like AZ or AAP) -- $235 and I think only a 12 month/12k miles warranty. Do all AutoZone stores have the same corporate suppliers? So if I drove further away and went to a different AZ store would they tell me the same thing? Same question for AAP?

What is the recommendation? Keep trying to go to the "cookie jar" and do the whack the door panel method in hopes that AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts suppliers will get them in stock relatively soon or bite the bullet and get the one from the stealer?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:13 PM
bamyi

WHEN your windows stops working again, and it will, I know a guy who is selling new window motors among other parts. Check the Southwest region threads.

https://my350z.com/forum/south-west/311070-350z-windows.html

The guy who is selling it is the senior editor for Nissan Sports Magazine.

Last edited by bamyi; 10-30-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:18 PM
350zWhite04

Default wtf...

i had my both windows out for awhile now... i went in the other day... and they quoted me for 900 dollars... to repair both windows... if theres so many problems with our windows... why isnt there a recall or a TCM??
Old 10-31-2007, 01:29 PM
y_b_lamron

yeah, I got quoted 540 dollar ONE window from my local nissan dealer. I know a guy that will do it for 250 out the door including parts and labor but now that I see this post I think I know how I will be spending my day off tomorrow!

Can't hurt, it's broken now so if the posted fix doesn't work it's not like I will lose out on anything.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:35 PM
OboeMD

Angry power window

This entire thread should be sent to nissan, consumer reports, and every magazine that does new and used car reviews.
2003 passenger side motor replaced under warranty. The driver side failed out of warranty.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 AM
Integrity
Banned

I just have no luck whatsoever. I cleaned my motors, they stopped working. I replaced my motors, and now my passenger side stopped working. Its an autozone motor so it should have the lifetime warranty, but I have no idea where I put the receipt! D'OH!
Old 11-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Sk8fe

Oh no! Find that receipt! Maybe keep it in the glovebox if you find it for next time. I work on mine today after work...
Old 11-02-2007, 02:49 PM
bamyi

Originally Posted by Integrity
I just have no luck whatsoever. I cleaned my motors, they stopped working. I replaced my motors, and now my passenger side stopped working. Its an autozone motor so it should have the lifetime warranty, but I have no idea where I put the receipt! D'OH!
If you provided them with your number, name and address they will have it in the computer. They have looked up warranty for me before when I lost my receipt.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Integrity
Banned

Originally Posted by bamyi
If you provided them with your number, name and address they will have it in the computer. They have looked up warranty for me before when I lost my receipt.
Thank you, I'll try that.

Quick Reply: Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)