Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Agent4573

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My drivers side window is slowly dieing and my passenger side has been stuck halfway down for a few days now, I think I'll clean up both of them tonight and see if it works before I go buying new parts for it.

From the Technical Service Bulletins I've read about the windows, you need to reset the regulator once you take out the motor. Here is the link to the TSB that describes how to reset your regulator(its real easy)

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB04-089.htm

Last edited by Agent4573; 07-28-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:41 PM
lostlegend

Originally Posted by seeulater
My drivers sid window works really well but the weird thing is that when I go to roll it up it goes right back down again!
Actually my passenger side window does that. It doesn't go all the way down, just about 1/3 of the way. Not all the time however, just when I hit the auto really fast instead of holding it for a second. I have yet to figure out why it does this. But I have noticed that my passenger side window rolls up slower than my drivers side now that I have cleaned out the motor.

So I am planning on cleaning out the passenger side as well.

My suggestion to you is to go ahead and clean it out, I don't know the reason why it is doing this, but it couldn't hurt to clean it up.

And I will most likely get that guide up on Sunday evening.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:15 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

i just tried the method mentioned in this thread last weekend on my driver side window. But I may have failed completely. Can someone help me out?

What happened was that both my windows on my 03 Enthu stopped working periodiocally so I decided to do the brush/motor cleaning method in hopes to fix it myself. Long story short I did the exact procedures discribed above and after I put everything back together the window that I worked on stopped working completely. Or more directly I cannot roll the glass down anymore. Anyone have any suggestions? I would write some into more details as to what happend but I'm afriad that it will bore readers so if you need any info feel free to ask and I will sincerely appreicate your assistance =D
Old 07-31-2006, 08:03 AM
kj301

Just a quick maybe stupid question, did you plug in all the connectors when you were done?

KJ
Old 07-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Noah@AAM

did this on Saturday to my passenger window(was stuck and not moving at all)...and it worked...OMG thank you to whoever figured this out!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 07-31-2006, 12:18 PM
tlewis

I tried this about a week ago... So far so good. It did quit on me once the day after, but I hit the door and it's been working since. Hopefully it will last, becuase Nissan wants $240 for the part alone at my local stealership.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:42 PM
desiZ

169.95+$10 shipping = 179.95$ to ur door...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

item no:120013073464

now use the 240-180= $60 to get some beer
Old 07-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Integrity
Banned

Originally Posted by HOMiEZ
i just tried the method mentioned in this thread last weekend on my driver side window. But I may have failed completely. Can someone help me out?

What happened was that both my windows on my 03 Enthu stopped working periodiocally so I decided to do the brush/motor cleaning method in hopes to fix it myself. Long story short I did the exact procedures discribed above and after I put everything back together the window that I worked on stopped working completely. Or more directly I cannot roll the glass down anymore. Anyone have any suggestions? I would write some into more details as to what happend but I'm afriad that it will bore readers so if you need any info feel free to ask and I will sincerely appreicate your assistance =D
Do not worry about boring us, that's what we are here for. What happened during your repair, tell us everything step by step, and don't spare the details.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:32 PM
HOMiEZ

Alrighty than here is what happend. I first tried to do this job myself and everything went quite well. The bolts were simple enough to remove, so getting to the motor was actually quite simple. I opened it up and sprayed it down with some eletric contact cleaner.
Reassembly was actually another story. I found it hard to remount the motor onto the metal door panel but eventually I got all the bolts back on. After putting everything back together the window stopped to function.
So I decided to get some help from my mechanic step dad. We took the door apart again and went into even more detail as to checking into the mechanics and recleaning the motor. Eventually we actually unhendged the driver side door to make sure there were not any additional stress on the window glass as it refuses to come down.
The outcome of 6 hours on Sunday came out to no sucess. The driver side door still refuses to operate at all even after hitting the motor, while the passenger side door which had the same initial problem will still operate after hitting the motor.
What we did come out with this weekend was that after using some kind of a eletrical device my step dad said that there are no shorts in the motor. The brushes although partially damaged have full range of conductivity and is making a clean contact with the spindle.
Another thing was that while the motor seemed to not function as it will not roll the window at all; it actually gets warm after hitting the window switch.
I am currently planning on trying to dessemble the passenger side this weekend and maybe it will give us more clues as to why the driver side's not working.

If there are anyone here that can help me with my situation I'd sincerely appreicate it.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:03 AM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my passanger window is getting worst. Now when it goes down and up, it sounds like it barly able to move the window. This is my project for the weekend , to do this Motor Fix.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:55 AM
tlewis

Well, I think I jinxed myself. I did the fix a few days ago, and immediatley after I made the post about my window working agian, it quit. Now it looks like I will be replacing the motor completely...
Old 08-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Integrity
Banned

HomieZ, it sounds like you did everything right. I wish I could be more help, but the only things I can think of are 1) Debris got into the motor assembly during reassembly, preventing it from being able to spin at all or 2) The window believes it is already in the down position. Have you tried doing the window reset procedure thats in the service manual?

Also, try disconnecting the motor from the window track assembly and see if you can move the window up and down freely with no binding.

Hope this helps, keep us updated.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:13 PM
HOMiEZ

thanks for the response integrity i'll see if it will roll without any binding this weekend
Old 08-03-2006, 05:00 AM
IZMYZ

Default Window Motor REPAIR

This was a great help! I completed it in about an hour. One thing extra in step THREE... there is a phillips head screw behind the black panel behind the door handle. This will need to be removed before taking the door panel off. So for step THREE there are THREE screws that need to be removed.

Originally Posted by Integrity
I can get you started, but hopefully someone else will be able to pick up where I left off. I started doing this repair today on my driver's side door. Wasn't too hard. I was pausing to take pictures alot to document this for everyone else, but it started to rain. I had to hurry up and finish so I could not do a proper step by step pictorial.

Step one. Locate the plastic cover piece in the middle of the door handle and remove it with a small flat head screwdriver or scribe.

Step two. Remove the screw underneath using a philips head screwdriver.

Step three. Gently pull up on the left side of the switch panel. Disconnect the window switches and side mirror controls at the harnesses, then remove the two phillips head screws that are revealed by removing the switch panel.

Step four. Now simply pull gently on the left side, right side, and bottom of the door panel. The fasteners should give way and you should be able to lift up on the door panel and lay it off to the side. (I did not disconnect the cables for the door handles.)

This will reveal the inner door panel which will have to be removed next.

There are (12) 10mm bolts holding the inner door panel on - Red circles.

There are (2) 10mm bolts and (2) 12mm nuts holding the window tracks to the door panel - Yellow circles.

And there are (3) 10mm bolts/philips head screws holding the window motor to the door panel - Green circles.

Step Five. The window motor can be seperated from the cable spindel by removing the three philips head screws. (No picture)

Step Six. Remove the brush assembly out of the motor by removing three small philips head screws.

Step Seven. Clean the black carbon crap out of the motor and reassemble. Here's a pic after I cleaned it using rubbing alcohol and q-tips.

Hope this helps. This is far from a thorough how-to guide, but it may help some of you. If anyone else feels they can add something, by all means, please share. Just quote my post and add in whatever hints, steps, or pictures you may have.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:34 AM
jeffw

I'm glad this is working for some of you and thanks to Integrity for the picture HowTo. One bit of advice I can offer is that I think it's important to use a toothpick to clean the contact points on the commutator. The commutator is the bit that spins inside the motor housing. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it, but I have borrowed one of Integrity's pics to show where it came from. I also made a rough diagram of the commutator to show how it should look after you clean it.

Mine was so dirty I could see no signs of the grooves between the brush contacts. It was almost luck that I discovered how packed with carbon dust that thing was. I had to use several tooth picks with a good bit of force to dig the carbon out.

--
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)-commutator.jpg   Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)-clean_motor.gif  
Old 08-07-2006, 06:21 AM
james840a

Originally Posted by jeffw
I'm glad this is working for some of you and thanks to Integrity for the picture HowTo. One bit of advice I can offer is that I think it's important to use a toothpick to clean the contact points on the commutator. The commutator is the bit that spins inside the motor housing. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it, but I have borrowed one of Integrity's pics to show where it came from. I also made a rough diagram of the commutator to show how it should look after you clean it.

Mine was so dirty I could see no signs of the grooves between the brush contacts. It was almost luck that I discovered how packed with carbon dust that thing was. I had to use several tooth picks with a good bit of force to dig the carbon out.

--
Jeff
I did mine yesterday and worked great. The contact point were so dirty that it look like one peace. I attached couple pictures of it, The one is just after i used the toothpicks. The other one is after i cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, you can see the difference between them. So far mine is working great, (knocking on wood)
Attached Thumbnails Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)-img_0237.jpg   Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)-img_0239.jpg  
Old 08-07-2006, 06:54 AM
james840a

Just FYI, you may want a friend to help hold the window inplace while you re-install the door panel to align the bolts on the track.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:57 AM
dbpoet

Thanks for the pictures everybody, I'm going to try it today. I've already had the drivers side motor replaced once under warranty,
Old 08-07-2006, 07:23 AM
one350zfan

Great Thread! ZTampa and I will give this a try on our cars and I'll post our results!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:42 AM
dbpoet

Thanks again everyone for all the great posts and information. I just finished and my drivers side window works as good as new. Saved me a trip to the dealer and a lot of $$$. I didn't have to reset the regulator either, I just put everything back together and it works great !!

Quick Reply: Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)