Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Brembo calipers leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 05:45 AM
uwaeve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brembo calipers leaking

Hi there! I've been having a problem with my OEM Brembos during track days. This has happened on 100% of the track days I've been to.

FYI, I flushed and bled the system before this started, and use ATE Super Blue and Hawk HP+.

After a session or so, the pedal starts to get longer (happened faster at NHIS than at the Glen) and I start seeing fluid leaking from the bleeder valves. Unsettling, to say the least. There is never a LOT of leakage (basically undetectable from the master cylinder level, and even that is probably pad wear as well). In addition, I know that it continues to purge a bit after I stop, since at the height of the problem, I go to check tire pressures and torque lug nuts, and there is a little dribble of dried fluid sitting on the flat surface of the wheel (where it would drip if the car were stopped and you cracked a bleeder valve with no tubing).

I'm about 90% sure that the fluid is coming from the thread area of the bleeder screws, not through the channel. I say this because I'm pretty sure the rubber boot stays dry inside when this is going on. I also know that the fluid is not the leftover fluid in the bleeder screw from bleeding, because I wick that out with a paper towel after bleeding, as well as anything in the boot.

The bleeders are torqued to spec (9-11 ft-lb).

I've had people tell me they think the bleeder screw torque is too high, but I'm working out of the '03 manual. Hopefully it's not a typo and supposed to be in-lb. I've had people tell me I probably have dirt in the seat between the screw and caliper (unlikely, unless I managed to suck air AND dirt in on all 4 corners, since it happens everywhere).

Anyone else having this problem or have a solution? Thanks in advance.

uwaeve.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:06 AM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the FSM handy, but 10 ft-lbs for a fitting that small sounds like overkill at best, and possibly damaging. A quick search on Google showed that most caliper mfgrs recommend a torque value in in-lbs, usually no more than 40 in-lbs.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:33 AM
uwaeve

Well, here's the page from the manual I'm using.
Attached Thumbnails Brembo calipers leaking-fsm_brakes.gif  
Old 10-06-2005, 09:31 AM
mberthia

04 Manual also shows 9-11. I have the non brembo and torque them at 61-77 in-lbs per the manual which is about half of the Brembos. In comparable units:

Brembo: 12-15 N-m
Non Brembo: 6.9-8.8 N-m