Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

went to dealer for axle clicking problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 04:53 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default went to dealer for axle clicking problem

I've had the clicking problem for awhile now so I found some time to take it in. They took the right side apart and greased it and ordered new bolts for it. I've done some research on this and expected one of three things to happen - replace axle, lube and re-torque, or replace bolts - so I guess this will fix it.
Why do some get axles replaced? Has the noise ever really been caused by the axle? Which bolt shown in the exploded view are they talking about anyway?
When I picked it up it was starting to get dark out so I didn't notice that they broke my antenna! So I called right when they were closing and let the service writer know. It looks like someone did a horrible job of washing it and pulled the end of the antenna right off. The water spots were so bad I couldn't use detail spray I had to wash it a couple of times. I'll bet some of it was left over soap. Plus now I noticed that the socket they used to remove the wheel scraped paint off of 3 of my lug holes!
I can't wait to waste more time off work tonight to go deal with coming in with one problem and leaving with three.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:42 AM
tedroach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand your pain. I went through something similar recently. Nissan had decided that it was too expensive for them to replace the whole axle, when it can be fixed by replacing some bolts with smaller ones. Not sure why, but that was the explaination that Nissan Corp. gave me.

As for the wheels, I hope that you can hold them for that. It is hard to when you drove off the lot without checking it. Not trying to steal your thread, but I bought brand new wheels that are powder coated black from the factory. I took them to Goodyear and had them put new tires on them. (They do a good job and work on a lot of sports cars in my area.) Well, they did an excellent job this time, but there was still a vibration, so I took them back to get rebalanced. When I went to pick my car up, they messed up every lug hole by forcing a larger socket in it. Every one of the holes was hollowed out and there was a 6 inch scratch on the outside of one wheel. At this point, I walked into the shop and pulled the owner outside. Needless to say, it took my four months to get my wheels right and they spent more money refinishing them then they cost.

I feel your pain. Hang in there and try to get them to make it right.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:54 AM
bjr

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not seeing both but you can only take in so much at one time!
I remember the first time my '94 Probe GT needed a timing belt I was scared to do it so I took it to the professionals at Ford. They cut the timing belt cover to get it off and I didn't notice it until the next day in the light. It was hard to get them to do anything. The manager was smug and said it doesn't take that long to do it so he would pay labor if I got covers from a junk yard. He was so pi$$ed when he called his tech. over and the guy told him it was a 4-5 hour job. I knew it all along because I knew how to do it just was afraid to do the work.
Guess who fixes everything on my cars outside of warranty now? If I don't have the right tools I go buy them. Anything but a mechanic
After several years I'm not afraid to do anything. I knew that car so well. It's a good feeling.
Anyway the Nissan dealer was nice so far but a wheel is something to expensive for them to eat or claim insurance so I'm sure it will take a lot of arguing when I point it out today.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:06 AM
boma

It always takes alot of arguing

Sometimes. I wanna be look like an Idiot and take pictures of my car at the dealership before I leave and then walk off. Evidence..........

It's the only safe way.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:15 AM
bjr

Probably a very good idea but still hard since you leave.
I was walking back to my car thinking - "OK they probably had the axle hub apart, hope it doesn't fall off. I need to check the torque on the lug bolts when I get home. It looks like it rained on my car I just washed. I sure am glad these bozos didn't get any stains on my seats in the new car, that made me mad when it happended to my Ford. Let's see what else could they have screwed up? Should I pop the hood real quick? Nah, they fixed the rear end you idiot. They couldn't have screwed anything else up just go home it seems ok!"
Old 10-11-2005, 07:35 AM
ZatoIchi

Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 49 Just got mine out the shop today because of the window motor problem (they replaced the motor and regulator) and my SA gave me a copy of the Service Bulletin which shows the problem is the outer wheel bearing and axel joint assembly, the dust boot has to be replaced when you dissasemble the bearings.

SERVICE BULLETIN NTB04-065
affects all 2003 models and 2004 built before 2-14-04

description part #
Bearing assy, rear 43210-AL505
Axel outer joint assy 39211-73L00
Repair kit, dust boot outer 39241-73L28

Take the car to the dealer and tell them to bring up this TSB, they have to order the parts and fix under warranty

If your Z is an 03/04, this is the fix for the axel clicking problem
Old 10-11-2005, 07:48 AM
bjr

I've got an '05 so maybe the axel is updated but I'm glad you brought this up. I will ask them if they made their decision based on the TSB and if it was updated for '05's.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Ztalker

we all need to take a good look at the vehicle before we leave the service department. i've caught them many times damaging the vehicle after dropping it off for service. They had scratched a quarter panel (which required body work),scratched a passenger window(which they replaced),scuffed the rear taillight with a buffer...dinged the driver side door below the door handle with i couldn not proof........
i wouldn't take my car in unless it is absolutely necessary ....VERY IMPORTANT......
make sure to put a big sign on your windshield to remind them NOT to wash your car.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:17 AM
boma

I've had dealers not honor TSB's I brought with me. They said it has to fall under my vin number!

Isn't having the exact symptoms enough to have it fixed under warranty?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:28 AM
bjr

Yes. Whatever it is should be covered under warranty. The TSB's just save them time and how to handle common problems. I debated whether or not to take a copy in since I never had to deal with this service dept. yet so I decided that I didn't want them to just look at it and get mislead. I'm sure they don't just let the cutomer tell them what to do but I've heard stories both ways. Either you don't tell them and they can't figure out the problem and want to know later why you didn't tell them what you had found.
Or you tell them and you are wrong and they fix what you say anyway.
Can't ever win with cars!
My boss bet me that they would call and say it wasn't making a clicking noise Luckily they found the problem and handled it according to some posts on this board. They just really screwed up the rest of the car while doing it.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:28 AM
mavtais

Originally Posted by boma
I've had dealers not honor TSB's I brought with me. They said it has to fall under my vin number!

Isn't having the exact symptoms enough to have it fixed under warranty?
The answer is no if Nissan has specified which VIN are affected or identified as symptomatic. I work at a manufacturing company and that's how things are run. Fortunately, we actually replace anything if the customer is unhappy enough. Don't think you're going to get that from Nissan.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:31 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make sure to always always pick up the same day I bring the car in. I don't let them have it overnight. I won't let them keep it for more then they need to do who knows what. I tell them on the phone that I am leaving right away to get the Z and to expect me shortly. Do I leave right away? No, I take my time. The point is that they THINK I am coming right away and so they won't wash it nor take it for any joy ride.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:16 AM
bjr

Default update

Well, the trip to the dealer went really well so far compared to the worst case. I had already called right when I got home the 1st day and told him about the antenna.
So I pulled up and had been going over what I would say to him and stay polite. He came right out when I got there and took the antenna off the car to go show the manager and I told him the wheel got damaged too. I have to admit it didn't look as bad the second day and he was very nice about it so I didn't start an argument yet. I do need a place that I can build a relationship with in case I need warranty work or have something done I can't do. So he asks me what I am worried about that it won't rust or anything. I said the finish is ruined and long term it will look like crap, possibly bubble, peel, discolor under the surrounding clear coat, etc. He said so you want us to clear coat it then? I said I would prefer a new wheel but I will allow you to try repairing it first. But if I am not happy with it that we will need to argue about it then. So he goes and talks to his boss and comes back out and says I am all set. When the axle bolts come in they will call and I will bring it back and get a new antenna and the wheel repaired.
I'm used to bad experiences with dealers so this one was definately a good one. My only regret is not knowing how well they are going to refinish the wheel. And what is going to happen to the car next time. The wheel could look great until a year from now or two years then peel or something so I am not fully satisfied. Given the size of the blemish though I understand trying to touch it up.
I know many of you will say I was a pushover and should have demanded a new wheel or else but I am a little more flexible than that. With my luck I would get a new wheel and curb it on the way home
Any opinions on how well this could turn out? I was thinking that my whole car is covered from head to toe with rock chips as many of you have experienced that I have touched up and clear coated many of them and I'm not really worried about them so what's the difference with the wheel? I hope I will be able to tell what quality of work they did.
What I think I will do when he calls to make an appointment though is to ask if he remembers taking care of the wheel and if my antenna came in and ask what the possibliity is of getting a new wheel so they don't have to waste any of their time messing around with it and see where I can push it.

Also, why don't they replace the axle anymore? Was the axle ever the problem or is it just the mounting of it that causes the clicking? I actually was happy that this place wasn't draining my diff and taking out major components and replacing them.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:50 AM
albatross83

Originally Posted by bjr
What I think I will do when he calls to make an appointment though is to ask if he remembers taking care of the wheel and if my antenna came in and ask what the possibliity is of getting a new wheel so they don't have to waste any of their time messing around with it and see where I can push it.
I used the factory tire iron to remove my lug nuts, and it made circles inside the holes. Not it per se, but me not being careful enough. Unless you're extremely careful, you will scratch the inside of those holes; it's almost unavoidable. The effort it would take to avoid scratching the holes is above and beyond what I'd expect any reasonable person to do (padding them with felt or something, or stablizing the tire iron like you're playing Operation), so I see it as more of a design flaw than carelessness.

But hey, it's your car, and if they're willing to fix it, great. Not to say the scratches would happen sooner or later, but after you get them fixed, they're going to happen again.. sooner or later.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:08 AM
bjr

I know exactly what you mean. On my last car the damage after 10 years was minimal though. On the Z I have been putting one layer of electrical tape on the outside of the socket to avoid metal on metal rubbing.
However this damage was different and caused by pure rushing/negligence. I have tried to take pics but they just don't come out right. The marks the dealer made, you can tell that he still had the socket spinning and hit the edge of the hole, rippling the paint. The damage is right there out on the edge not deep in the hole. And he did it 3 times out of 5!!!! I read that as no intentions of being careful.
I agree with your comments though and is exactly why I am allowing them to try and fix it. It is never ending just like the paint chips. I could get a new wheel and when I go to get my first set of tires put on the tire guy could scratch them. Someday I could scratch them. It's just the principal of the thing. They screwed up my new car because they are trained to go as fast as they can or they had a bad day. Regardless, I think they should be accountable for their actions though and also accountable for the repair which will be impossible to tell until 1 or 2 years later when I notice they did a poor job of repainting it and then I'll feel stupid for not pushing to make it right. We'll see what happens...