Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

tranny woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 06:02 AM
gimpster621

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny woes

yesterday it was hard to get into 1st gear in the morning when it was cold. today, it was impossible. trying to back out in my driveway to get some gas, i tried to put it in reverse; it wouldnt budge. so i tried 1st ,2nd etc......it woulndt budge. even tried to force it hard, nothing. then i turned my engine off and tired to shift, it wasnt very smooth but it went into the gears fairly easily. so i put it in reversed, turned engine on, backed up, turned engine off, put it in 2nd, turned engine on, and drove to te gas station in 2nd..(<1 mile away in residential area). after getting gas, it finally went into the all gears. anyone have similar issues? its a 05 enthusiast with 1600 miles now. I thought my audi had issues...think changing the tranny fluid to relind will help?
Old 11-11-2005, 07:15 AM
alpine

When you say "cold" what is cold "exactly"?

There have always been issues, with these trans at "cold" temperatures, and perhaps it will be necessary for you to get a performance fluid or just a different rating that will tolerate cold start ups better?

Not that I am certain this is your problem, or that this will help, it's just one of those things to think about.

I haven't seen anyone YET with an 05 and trans problem.

My trans problem was solved with a 4th generation trans, which at the time was the 2nd trans Nissan was using in the 04, at that time.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:46 AM
gimpster621

what is the best oil for the tranny on the 350 and whats the capacity?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:16 AM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by gimpster621
yesterday it was hard to get into 1st gear in the morning when it was cold. today, it was impossible. trying to back out in my driveway to get some gas, i tried to put it in reverse; it wouldnt budge. so i tried 1st ,2nd etc......it woulndt budge. even tried to force it hard, nothing. then i turned my engine off and tired to shift, it wasnt very smooth but it went into the gears fairly easily. so i put it in reversed, turned engine on, backed up, turned engine off, put it in 2nd, turned engine on, and drove to te gas station in 2nd..(<1 mile away in residential area). after getting gas, it finally went into the all gears. anyone have similar issues? its a 05 enthusiast with 1600 miles now. I thought my audi had issues...think changing the tranny fluid to relind will help?
Thought i had the grinding issue with my 04 base model, but this tranny is just plain notchy. It is definitely notchy from a dead "cold" start and in cold weather takes a while for it to warm up and shift smoothly esp from 1st to 2nd. That 1st -2nd shift has been a problem since i first got the car new. Now if it just will not go into gear in any weather then id think that was an issue to have the service dept look at. If your one of the lucky ones to have a great service dept that gives a sh*t , they maybe able to fix it for you.

Last edited by DAYTONA-ZED; 11-11-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:33 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

think changing the tranny fluid to relind will help?

No. Just keep a eye on the problem. If it is a transmission problem, you know that it will happen again. Then its time to have the dealer look at the car.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:40 PM
bmxox

only 1600 miles on the car? there should be no need whatsoever for a tranny fluid change. if the problem doesnt go away, definitly go back to the dealer without doing anything yourself, that way they cant put any blame on you and try to get out of warranty work.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:23 AM
gimpster621

problem solved! The culprit was my clutch pedal. i shortened the clutch engagement point and that must have done something to the tranny. anyways, it was the same in the morning....wouldnt go into any gear so i pulled out the pedal about an inch an its fine now. anyone else shorten your "friction zone" and experience similar problems?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:21 AM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by gimpster621
problem solved! The culprit was my clutch pedal. i shortened the clutch engagement point and that must have done something to the tranny. anyways, it was the same in the morning....wouldnt go into any gear so i pulled out the pedal about an inch an its fine now. anyone else shorten your "friction zone" and experience similar problems?

Would like to try this just to get the clutch to engage sooner. It seems to engage too high or take too long to engage on these cars or at least on mine. What or were on the clutch pedal did you make the adjustment?
Old 11-12-2005, 05:08 PM
gimpster621

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....edal+adjusting