Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

damn clunk sound!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 07:15 PM
FlorendoCruz
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damn clunk sound!

ok, my car has been making these clunk noises on the bottom front of the car. Everytime i turn, go on bumps, and somethimes jus cruisin straight, i hear this loud clunk coming from the suspension. I did my research and found out the possible causes. It;s either control arms need to be retorqued, upper suspension link isnt torqued properly, or jus tighten all the suspension bolts. I brought it to nissan repair and i had to bring it back 3 times now. They say that they fixed the problem but its freakin the same. I went back today and they sed that it might jus be the racket pinion or something like that. This is gettin irritable and having to know something is wrong with my car kills me. I feel so down and depressed. I love the car but these noises are pissin me off.
What do u guys/grls think. Anything i missed out on?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 PM
FlorendoCruz
Banned

ok 36 reviews and still no replys. Thanks anyway... I'll ask in other forums...
Old 11-16-2005, 08:36 PM
mercutio214

My mom had the exact same prob on here 04 maxima and it was the passenger front control arm. It was covered by nissan. Good luck, Sucks that they didn't fix it the first time. I'll get more info from her and post it on fri.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:26 PM
FlorendoCruz
Banned

ok..nissan cant find the prob. Their tightened all the bolts in the suspension. Now their replacing the racket pinion and their hoping that would solve the problem. I jus hope that fixes it.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:52 PM
FlorendoCruz
Banned

ok, i got a rental from nissan. I got a freakin Kia Spectra!! ahhh... lol that car is quick!! 0-60 in 5 secs flat.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:26 AM
JFDATLAW

I have the same problem. Due to go in the 3rd time. Dealer has no idea. My saleman suggested contacting Nissan direct and trying to get them involved.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:35 AM
02VTZ

You realize it is "rack and pinion" right? But unfortunately it sounds as if "Racket pinion" is more appropriate in your case. Start raising hell with Nissan and let them know there is a problem with your Nissan and a problem with a Nissan service center not correcting the problem. Sometimes it helps. You take the chance that the service department will drop you from their Christmas card list but hell, they ain't doing you any favors now. There is nothing more frustrating then spending a lot of money for a new car and getting this kind of reaction from a service department. Hope it works out!
Old 12-14-2005, 11:02 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

look for the rear-axle ticking TSB. i bet thats your problem
Old 12-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Bahraini350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. It was from the rubber on the top of the front left arm. There's no part number for the rubber(bushing). It comes as a whole arm assembley. Not very costly. I had the part number somewhere, but I lost it. Will call the local dealer and try to get the part number on monday (it's pubic holiday haere)!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:17 PM
FlorendoCruz
Banned

Originally Posted by JFDATLAW
I have the same problem. Due to go in the 3rd time. Dealer has no idea. My saleman suggested contacting Nissan direct and trying to get them involved.

ye they have no freaking idea wat it is. Their replaced my front shocks and kinda went away but now its back again! Its soooo annnoying!! My cars is at nissan for 2 days now and they have no idea wat to do. -=O!!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:20 PM
FlorendoCruz
Banned

Originally Posted by Bahraini350Z
I have the same problem. It was from the rubber on the top of the front left arm. There's no part number for the rubber(bushing). It comes as a whole arm assembley. Not very costly. I had the part number somewhere, but I lost it. Will call the local dealer and try to get the part number on monday (it's pubic holiday haere)!

yes..pls ask for that part # so i can show my nissan service.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:45 AM
Bahraini350Z

Originally Posted by FlorendoCruz
yes..pls ask for that part # so i can show my nissan service.
Just checked the workshop, it's called a compression rod and the part number is 54468 for the RIGHT and 54469 for LEFT.
Hope this helps

p.s. Part number was taken from Middle East Spec Z (not sure if it's the same as the USDM)
Old 12-15-2005, 09:09 AM
FlorendoCruz
Banned

Thanks man!! I appriciate that!! I jus called my nissan service and they wrote down the part #... i jus hope that fixes the problem!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Bahraini350Z

Thanks man!! I appriciate that!! I jus called my nissan service and they wrote down the part #... i jus hope that fixes the problem!
Let me know what happens.
BTW... I did a research and it seems that there was a TSB for 03 models regarding this matter. I didn't do that and I think that's why it happend to me
Old 12-15-2005, 04:38 PM
FlorendoCruz
Banned

I had the TSB clicking on the rear fixed before. Thats a clicking sound and the sound in the front is clunk sound. I just hope my nissan service fixes my car. Its gettin really annoying.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Bahraini350Z

I had the TSB clicking on the rear fixed before. Thats a clicking sound and the sound in the front is clunk sound. I just hope my nissan service fixes my car. Its gettin really annoying.
The one I mentioned is for the front and it has to do with the feathering problem as well
Old 12-23-2005, 02:46 AM
thezedsled

I hear the same sound Florendo and know exactly how you feel. It only happens when I am backing up and turn the wheel to the left so I have just been living with it. Let me know if you get it fixed so i at least know what it is...
Old 12-23-2005, 03:35 PM
FlorendoCruz
Banned

hey, i got the car back from nissan. The receipt says Lube only. I guess they didnt replace the whole left control arm like i said. The noise is somewhat there. Im goin to drive it around somemore to see if the sounds is still there. Ill let u know.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:27 AM
thezedsled

So is the noise gone?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:32 AM
FlorendoCruz
Banned

i hear something but it doesnt seem to sound like the clunk sound anymore. I think the noise now is from my heat shield for the JWT intake. For very bump, i here a noise. Im going to take out the heat sheild and hopfully i dont here nothing anymore.

Quick Reply: damn clunk sound!