Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tool set recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 07:31 PM
jackwhale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

resolute: thanks for the info. I always thought the huge cost for professional tools was because they were forged.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Lancaster

Originally Posted by alininger2001
Craftsman sells an all metric kit online only. You don't need any sae tools for the Z. The all metric kit is massive and has all kinds of tools, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, deep sockets, 12 and six points, wrenches, allen wrenches, nut drivers etc. I would spend the rest on some good torque wrenches myself, those come in handy if you want to do some serious mods.
k, I'm over my brief Snap On fixation. Thanks for bearing with me The shiny red boxes are hypnotic! I think it was the $1500 dollars for a single set of combo metric wrenches that woke me up...
It doesn't seems like a hard decision. Craftsman standard tools are near or in some cases, at par with their Snap On counterparts...and can cost 1/10 of certain higher price tools Plus, a pretty much unbeatable warranty.

alininger what torque wrench(es) do you use for the Z? I have an antiquated line and rule torque wrench at the house. Not very accurate. Only ever used it for spark plugs and lug nuts though. What other aspects of mods/disassembly/assembly require torque for the Z?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by jackwhale
I've never had trouble with Sears-Craftsman tools. They are cast and polished. Easy to find as your local Sears store. You can get both 3/8" and 1/2" drive socket sets because of the lower cost.
Snap-on are forged and polished They are beautiful but probably overkill for the average mechanic. [imho]
I agree with this statement. I'll add: My first set of tools were purchased by my folks back in 1973. I still use that same Craftsman set of tools today.
Matter of fact I had to fix the washer today with the same tools I worked on my first car with. With Craftsman you'll get more tools for your money. With Craftsman you'll still have to worry about your buddies walking off with the tool in their back pocket but, if you break it you can get a quick replacement at your local store. I haven't broken a craftman tool yet. I have hammered on the wrenches with 3lb sledges to get rusted off nuts and they don't round out. But, it is nice to know they will honor it if I ever break or damage one.

I will say if you are going to be using the tools 6 days a week, and at least 8 hours a day you might want to go for the snap-on tools. Most of the guys like the feel better. I actually like the feel of a craftsman tool better. They feel thicker and heavier. I have pretty big hands so they fit me better.

Make your choice wisely, either the Snap-on set or Craftman set will be with you for a long, long time.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Ep3

Originally Posted by alininger2001
Here's a link to the set......

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...0&tab=des#tabs

Here's what's in it......
http://www.sears.com/download/misc/33941DOC.pdf

You will need sockets and wrenches to work on your car the snap on sets you listed don't have much of either. I have this set with some pliers and some extra extensions. I have installed all the mods in my sig with this kit, some torque wrenches, and maybe $100 of additional tools that I needed here and there.
i would look at a set like this but build it yourself you know "upgraded" parts like replacing those standard wrenches with ratchet wrenches & adding a torque for starters
Old 12-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jackwhale
resolute: thanks for the info. I always thought the huge cost for professional tools was because they were forged.
The huge cost for the professional tools, at least the nice polished combination wrenches, is because they are made in the same plant as the Snap-On wrenches which is why they are longer than the standard craftsman forgings- different mill. The other professional tools they sell, it depends. The screwdrivers and pliers are all made by Western Forge, but the difference in the steel and handles makes them more expensive. For example, a standard craftsman handle with the clear handles, is more than twice as strong as ANSI standards, and has a high yield point. The Professional screwdrivers, are tested at more than three times as strong as ANSI standards for handle and tip strength, bt the yeild is not as high. The professional has a different steel to it that makes it stronger, and harder to chip, but won't bend very well before breaking. The standard will bend into a pretzel if you want it before breaking. Just different processes and steels make up the cost difference between the two.
Will
Old 12-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Jason333
hi

If you worked with your tools professionally i can see Snap on, but for home use i thinks thats OVERKILL. I worked in a bike shop, and it was nice to have the guy come by and deliver stuff , give a credit line and what not (snap on). I use craftsman at home, and like someone said earlier i even use some harbor freight.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

harbor freight: in an emergency and single use applications. aka. they'll break eventually. use them for like allen wrenches and screw driver bits.

i've been extremely happy with my metric and sae box set from craftsman i got like.. wow.. 8 years ago? still going.. the laser etched series are alot better nowadays. really all you need on the Z is like a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and a pivot joint. 22mm for the o2 sensors deep socket o2 variant..

craftsman came out with these flex head racheting, with mirco adjustment angled wrenches. woo i want these..

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ubcat=Wrenches

Last edited by Chebosto; 12-07-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chebosto
harbor freight: in an emergency and single use applications. aka. they'll break eventually. use them for like allen wrenches and screw driver bits.

i've been extremely happy with my metric and sae box set from craftsman i got like.. wow.. 8 years ago? still going.. the laser etched series are alot better nowadays. really all you need on the Z is like a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and a pivot joint.

craftsman came out with these flex head racheting, with mirco adjustment angled wrenches. woo i want these..

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ubcat=Wrenches
Those new ratcheting flex head ratchet are made in the U.S. and forged like the rest of the line, by the Danaher Group in this case, but the ratchet mechanism is made in Taiwan in the same plant as GearWrench. I would save yourself the money and buy the GearWrench set, as the mechanism is going to break long before the difference in the steel is an issue. Just my .02, since it's about $10-15 cheaper each, IIRC.
Will
Old 12-07-2005, 01:15 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a tool addict for almost 40 years , I'll add a few points. I started with Craftsman, and way back they were very good tools, then about 20 years ago they turned to cr*p.....look inside their sockets of that period. Their current tools look a LOT better! I've only broken a few......using a 6 foot pipe extension sometimes exceeds their yield strength! But they have been replaced at no cost.

Buy 6 point sockets over 12 points.

Flank drive sockets are great for not stripping nuts/bolts.

Proto also made/makes great tools. I bought a bunch of their metric wrenches for 80% off when I worked for Ingersoll Rand.

Don't know what to say about the new 6 point Craftsman combo wrenches. Buy only if you already have 12 points.

I'll suggest you to buy Craftsman to start, then, when they don't offer the specific tool you need, look into one of the companies that have vans. (But you can buy on-line.)

AND, finally, buy the best torque wrenches you can afford.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Jason333
hi

Originally Posted by EnthuZ

AND, finally, buy the best torque wrenches you can afford.
Amen to that!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:59 PM
alininger2001

I actually have harbor freight torque wrenches, they are not the best out there by any means but I very rarely use them, the intake plenum is a good reason to have a 1/4 in torque wrench, a pully upgrade and torquing down lug nuts is a good reason to have a 1/2. I have a 3/8 torque wrench and hardly ever use it. I mostly use 3/8 sockets when I work on my car, but for some reason the 3/8 torque wrench is either too big or too small.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:01 PM
alininger2001

Originally Posted by Lancaster
k, I'm over my brief Snap On fixation. Thanks for bearing with me The shiny red boxes are hypnotic! I think it was the $1500 dollars for a single set of combo metric wrenches that woke me up...
It doesn't seems like a hard decision. Craftsman standard tools are near or in some cases, at par with their Snap On counterparts...and can cost 1/10 of certain higher price tools Plus, a pretty much unbeatable warranty.

alininger what torque wrench(es) do you use for the Z? I have an antiquated line and rule torque wrench at the house. Not very accurate. Only ever used it for spark plugs and lug nuts though. What other aspects of mods/disassembly/assembly require torque for the Z?
I actually have harbor freight torque wrenches, they are not the best out there by any means but I very rarely use them, the intake plenum is a good reason to have a 1/4 in torque wrench, a pully upgrade and torquing down lug nuts is a good reason to have a 1/2. I have a 3/8 torque wrench and hardly ever use it. I mostly use 3/8 sockets when I work on my car, but for some reason the 3/8 torque wrench is either too big or too small.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:44 PM
sluggo20031

I scanned the thread -- If not mentioned Blue-Point are great too-- it is a snap-on company tool
Old 12-12-2005, 05:05 PM
idrmofs7

Id get MAC tools! thier great!