Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:38 AM
YourMomma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HJSILVERMAN
I have an early production 03 touring which I picked up in September of 2002. I had the problem, went through the tire swaps, alignments etc. and it did become manageable. I got 42,000 miles out of the first set of tires, and changed them primarily because the rears wore out, but also because Nissan offered, based on tread life left, a partial rebate on new front ones. I now have 70,000 miles on the Z, so that's 28,000 on the 'new design' Bridgestone tires, and have no issues. I guess I'm just lucky. I have had no alignments in the three years since the new tires were put on. I don't have an answer; some cars have the problem, and some don't.
I was thinking the same thing until last week. I changed my rears b/c the wear on the front looked ok. I had failed to check the front passenger inside of the thread. Its completely gone. I too have been through the swaps, alignments etc. and nothing seems to resolve the issue from nissan. BTW, my vehicle is early too... around number 6600.

I just put on Bridgestone RE760's all around. I'm getting an alignment. We'll see what happens.

Bottom line... my Z is my stripper girlfriend. She's fun to ride, but expensive to keep.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by YourMomma
I just put on Bridgestone RE760's all around. I'm getting an alignment. We'll see what happens.
Keep us updated on how Bridgestone RE760 performs.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:34 PM
ladyzed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the RE960AS Pole Position, little harder compound than the 760's.

RE760's UTQG - 340-A-A < softer compound, less traction (BRAKING) summer tire
RE960's UTQG - 400-AA-A < harder compound, better traction (BRAKING), all season

I'd say for a little more the 960 would be better.

Last edited by ladyzed; 11-05-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Master Shake

I have Discount Tire's Yokahama 520's (very hard 520-A-A) and have seen the return of tire feathering after 10 months and 12k miles. The last tire change included an alignment at a Nissan dealer as well. So I'm not sure if harder tires alone (960's, etc.) will make much of a difference, or even getting an alignment ever year (or even 6 months). This is just something many of us have to live with.

Last edited by Master Shake; 11-18-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:33 AM
gyotar

So I just put a down payment on a 2003 350Z Touring and was wondering should I get this car? Have they solved the feathering problem yet? I read the majority of the posts and can only come to the conclusion that no they haven't. I think I may have to take my downpayment and apply it to another car in the showroom. What kind of percentage of people have the feathering problem?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:32 AM
ladyzed

Originally Posted by gyotar
So I just put a down payment on a 2003 350Z Touring and was wondering should I get this car? Have they solved the feathering problem yet? I read the majority of the posts and can only come to the conclusion that no they haven't. I think I may have to take my downpayment and apply it to another car in the showroom. What kind of percentage of people have the feathering problem?

I can't say the 2003 won't have it, but the 03 and early 04's were the major ones that had the problem. I have the 04.5 and I thought I was safe until I noticed my tires doing stupid noises and feathering.

I think if you do get it, it's something you must live with. You can get the best alignment in the world and still have this problem.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:59 PM
gyotar

Originally Posted by ladyzed
I can't say the 2003 won't have it, but the 03 and early 04's were the major ones that had the problem. I have the 04.5 and I thought I was safe until I noticed my tires doing stupid noises and feathering.

I think if you do get it, it's something you must live with. You can get the best alignment in the world and still have this problem.
I just can't imagine how it's not possible to align this car so it doesn't chew through tires...

I went ahead with the purchase because I fell in love with the car. I will drive this winter with my winter tires. If there's not much left of the tires by summer I will drive for the summer and switch to a cheaper/smaller size tire to replace. I currently have 20" rims on the Z and have no intention of buying those size tires too often!

What is the average lifespan of an all season tire? I don't drive hard enough to warrant the extra sticky/soft tires for summer.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:02 PM
gyotar

I spoke with a friend of my parents who is a nissan mechanic and he pretty much told me to stay away from the Z among others from Nissan...Apparently the feathering is due to the weak frame (I think it is aluminium) and its inability to hold the alignment after even one bump or pothole. Too agressive of a suspension without the strength to resist warping. I fell in love with that car in about 5 seconds and it crushed my cruising dreams in the same day...glad I read about it on the forums.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 AM
USMCkang

I got my 2006 Z 5 months ago Certified/used

Everything is stock except xo2 exhaust/5/16 plenum spacer and my car is pulling to the right out of nowhere.

Will this be covered by warranty? Is this a warning that my car might have the tire feathering issue?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:45 AM
inanabhay

I spoke with a friend of my parents who is a nissan mechanic and he pretty much told me to stay away from the Z among others from Nissan...Apparently the feathering is due to the weak frame (I think it is aluminium) and its inability to hold the alignment after even one bump or pothole. Too agressive of a suspension without the strength to resist warping. I fell in love with that car in about 5 seconds and it crushed my cruising dreams in the same day...glad I read about it on the forums.
absolute rubbish

i've got mine almost 5 years - the tyre feathering/ suspension is not a major issue
Old 12-03-2008, 05:43 AM
ladyzed

Originally Posted by USMCkang

Everything is stock except xo2 exhaust/5/16 plenum spacer and my car is pulling to the right out of nowhere.

Will this be covered by warranty? Is this a warning that my car might have the tire feathering issue?
I believe your 3 year warranty covers bumper to bumper, but I could be wrong.

Does it pull on newly-paved roads? It could be the crown pulling.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:39 AM
Master Shake

Originally Posted by USMCkang

I doubt this would be covered under the 3/36 warranty, as it is generally considered user maintenance -- unless someone can prove that something suspension related failed. Some manufactures will adjust the alignment under the initial adjustment warranty (if offered), but that usually only lasts for a year or less.

The original tire feathering recall has already been closed out and is no longer honored.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:57 PM
gyotar

Well I ended up buying it anyways! I loved the car too much to pass it up. The window stopped working the day after I drove away from the lot but it's still driving like a champ. I have to punch the door and it'll work again ahahah! I found some camber kits for the 350z. If I get the camber kit is there a good chance I can reduce my tire feathering issue?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:17 AM
airmike1

Originally Posted by inanabhay
absolute rubbish

i've got mine almost 5 years - the tyre feathering/ suspension is not a major issue
I am the original owner of my '03 Touring. As I recall, I began to notice an annoying tire growl noise somewhere around the 20k mileage mark. Nissan replaced the two front tires and realigned the front end. No problems with tire feather until now...the problem has arrived again at the 53k mile mark. Not only has the tire growl noise returned, the inside tread edges of the front tires are feathering/cupping. I inspected the tires because I thought I had a nail in one of the front tires since my steering wheel is rocking slightly side to side at slow speed. To make matters worse, not only did I discover the uneven wear of tire feathering, but my right-front Bridgestone Potenza has a bubble (tread separation) on the inner edge.

I wonder if I could still see if there is still a warranty left for this issue? I am thinking that I am way out of warranty at this point.

When I eventually replace all four tires, the Z will once again handle the way it is supposed to. Ever since the age of the front and rear tires were of different vintages, the handling has always been off enough to annoy me a little.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:21 AM
airmike1

Ooops. the tire feathering warranty has come and gone...just read Master Shake's statement...thank you, Master Shake.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:28 AM
ladyzed

Originally Posted by airmike1
Ooops. the tire feathering warranty has come and gone...just read Master Shake's statement...thank you, Master Shake.
JUST about to say that lol
Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to punch the door and it'll work again ahahah!
Sounds foolish but it works about 50 percent of the time. Soon your left forearm will ache.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

Owners of 03-04 350Z's having feathering issues need to contact Nissan regarding the class action suit. The suit has been settled and Nissan is giving "Dealer Shopping Cards" to those that apply. $225.00 for 03 models and $150.00 for 04 models.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM
cal_z

How do I get Mine Mr Tim !??? What is a those that apply deal????
Old 01-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

Any other questions/inqueries need to be directed to Nissan North America. I don't know all the specifics on how to become part of the suit. From what I do know it is only for 03 & 04 models experiencing the tire feathering issue.

Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI