Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Heritage

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

This thread is enormous, but in scanning it I didn't see this addressed, so I'll ask.

Has someone investigated if the OEM bushings on the control arms is the issue here? I can see how this chop/feather on the inside tread of the front is scalloping due to bushing load & release on turns/with loaded torsion from the tires. An oscillation in those bushings would result in this type of wear.

If it were just due to camber, or just due to toe, you could get a milder version of this, as the car 'skips' a bit - as is common on SUVs @ full lock. More likely, though, bad toe/camber adjustments would simply cause inner block wear - but it would be relatively even.

If the bushings are the issue, firmer bushings would result in a stiffer ride, but would definitely even out/severely lessen the tendency of the inner tread to scallop, which can only be due to a load/release oscillation. Stiff enough bushings would force the wear to literally 'cut off' the top edges of those scallops, instead of forcing the bushings to 'give' and then release, as the tread literally bites into the road until it reaches the flex limit of the bushing - and it pushes back at the tire, forcing it to skip a hair - and then rinse/repeat in harmonic interval. I hope I'm getting the concept across adequately.

This could be confirmed by placing a camera inside the wheel well, focused at the bushings, to see if that actually takes place. Another possibility is to place sensors which detect off-center shifts in the relationship of the bushing to the control arm itself.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Heritage; 03-17-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I firmly believe tire feathering is an issue with the OEM bushings. I observed my tire feathering disappearing when I switched to SPL compression rod bushings and Whiteline LCA bushings. However the feathering came back on a new set of wheels/tires when I switched back to OEM compression rod bushings (SPL were clunking and making god awful noises).
Old 03-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Heritage

Originally Posted by Row2K
I firmly believe tire feathering is an issue with the OEM bushings. I observed my tire feathering disappearing when I switched to SPL compression rod bushings and Whiteline LCA bushings. However the feathering came back on a new set of wheels/tires when I switched back to OEM compression rod bushings (SPL were clunking and making god awful noises).
Has this possibility not been thoroughly investigated? I am thinking about changing to Energy Suspension Bushings to determine if this is the issue. It sounds like you've done this, and discovered something.

Hasn't anyone else?

I get a lot of mileage out of my tires, and I do switch the left to the right after a certain number of miles to extend wear, but the noise is aggravating. This type of tire damage can only be caused by oscillation, and oscillation can only be caused by wear or weakness.

The bushings make sense as being the logical weakness.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the softest tires I could find, get 8 to 9K miles, and buy new ones
Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 7000 mi on my new tires (08) and show some feathering on the outer blocks up front . Fortunately, I have Cooper Zeon RS3-s which are NON directional and I rotated side to side. BTW..here's a good pic and explanation. Yes, I'm aware of the *Z* feathering issue...this is still a good description of this problem.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-car-9#slide-9

Heel-Toe
It Looks Like: Feathering, only the ramps run front-to-back along the tire rather than side-to-side. The leading edge of the tread blocks will be worn smooth while the trailing edge will be sharp.

The Diagnosis: "[It's] definitely one of the most common conditions we see," Rogers says. "Because it's so common, a lot of people think it's normal." Heel-toe wear is typically a symptom of insufficient tire rotation intervals. So check your car's maintenance schedule and make sure you keep up. Misalignment or worn or damaged suspension bushings, ball joints, and wheel bearings can also cause heel-toe wear.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Heritage

Originally Posted by ronn1
I have 7000 mi on my new tires (08) and show some feathering on the outer blocks up front . Fortunately, I have Cooper Zeon RS3-s which are NON directional and I rotated side to side. BTW..here's a good pic and explanation. Yes, I'm aware of the *Z* feathering issue...this is still a good description of this problem.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-car-9#slide-9

Heel-Toe
It Looks Like: Feathering, only the ramps run front-to-back along the tire rather than side-to-side. The leading edge of the tread blocks will be worn smooth while the trailing edge will be sharp.

The Diagnosis: "[It's] definitely one of the most common conditions we see," Rogers says. "Because it's so common, a lot of people think it's normal." Heel-toe wear is typically a symptom of insufficient tire rotation intervals. So check your car's maintenance schedule and make sure you keep up. Misalignment or worn or damaged suspension bushings, ball joints, and wheel bearings can also cause heel-toe wear.
Well, that doesn't address what I'm becoming more firmly convinced is the real issue: the bushings. I think the OEM bushings allow the center guide to 'wander' under load within the overall constraints of the bushing itself, which results in the chop everyone with older Z's see. I've had it since the first day I bought the Z brand new, and now I have 178K miles on it.

Time for new much harder bushings to see what happens.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 AM
slmdchvy05

I had really good luck with mine, I changed all of my bushings in the front of my car about 6 mths ago with the Energy Suspension bushings and got it aligned and have no more tire feathering. Now that my car is my DD as of 2mths ago I drive 120 miles round trip to work every day, 30 miles to college 4 days a week and a lot of running around on the weekends. I am putting about 4k miles a month on my car now and still running strong with no tire issues and I am running the BFG KDW's.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

^ Any updates from either of the two previous posters?

@ronn1,
That's an excellent picture you added.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which would I get to fix this problem?

WHITELINE

Front Upper Control Arm Bushings

Front Lower Control Arm Bushings - Inner Position

Front Lower Shock Mount Bushings
Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by solidsnake
Which would I get to fix this problem?

WHITELINE

Front Lower Control Arm Bushings -
That and the compression arm bushing ( also available from Whiteline) are what you need
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^thank you
Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 PM
BROKE

Is this thread still alive? I got rid of my 2003 350Z because of this issue. Replaced it with a 2006 STI.. then upgraded to a 2009 Porsche C2. STI is the best of the bunch!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Michael_mgm

went to get my tires mounted and seemed to have this same problem, but everything seems fine on the car except the upper ball joint seems to be cracking. could that be the reason?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:39 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_mgm
went to get my tires mounted and seemed to have this same problem, but everything seems fine on the car except the upper ball joint seems to be cracking. could that be the reason?
RE: the cracking, are you talking about the ball joint itself or the boot? I doubt there's any correlation between the ball joint and the tire feathering, but you should absolutely get it fixed if it's cracking. If the ball joint brakes when you're driving, you will lose control of the car.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:57 AM
Michael_mgm

Seems to be just the boot, sorry about that. But if everything else is fine then all I would need to fix the proble is an alignement correct?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:38 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

No, I think the gist of this 205 page thread is that there really is no satisfactory permanent solution to the issue, though an alignment does reduce the feathering a bit.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:38 AM
slmdchvy05

I have noticed that I am getting a lil feathering back since I have been slacking on having my tires rotated. When I was having my tires rotated about every 4k miles and randomly getting my alignment checked & corrected if need be from a friend that does alignmets at Nissan for $20 I was not having any issues with it.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Now what do you mean having tires rotated because we have staggered wheels...
Old 06-12-2013, 02:37 PM
slmdchvy05

I go down to discount tire and have them dismount my tires and swap sides L to R or R to L, I have the lifetime rotation on my tires
Old 06-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Heritage

A couple of posts ago, a poster asked if I had any update on this. No - I don't. I have new tires on the way, however, and I plan on taking my Z to a shop to have all the bushings replaced as is suggested on this page. A couple of posters have now testified to seeing this problem go away by replacing the OEM bushings with something aftermarket.

It makes sense that this could be the permanent solution to this damn tire eating problem.

Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI