Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2nd to 3rd upshift grinds when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003 | 06:19 AM
WashUJon

My 2nd gear shifts very hard, almost grinding, until the gear oil warms up no matter what the conditions are. It did it in 65 degree weather yesterday.
Old 03-17-2003 | 04:27 PM
zogan

Mine just started grinding in 3rd gear at 5500 miles. I am going to try and take it to the dealer tomorrow. I have CAI and flowmaster exhaust, do you think that will have any complications with getting it to covered under warrenty???? Thanks for the help
Old 03-18-2003 | 07:31 AM
hwj

This morning it's 55 degrees here in Pa. and the first time I've driven the car now that the snow is all gone and the roads are not salt covered in about 6 weeks.

Because to the temp. today = no grinding on the way into work! I' ll see what happens on the way home at 5:30PM.

I think I'm going to just spring for the RedLine gear oils and hope for the best. They couldn't hurt.
Old 03-18-2003 | 07:55 AM
WashUJon

Do any of you guys have any gear whine? I can hear some whining when accelerating in 1st and 2nd and decelerating in 1st and 2nd. I can't hear it when I go faster than like 30 mph, because the road noise drowns it out. My clutch didn't rattle starting out in 1st today, at least I didn't HEAR it. I'm starting to get paranoid about the drivetrain...
Old 03-18-2003 | 09:03 AM
walesinc

I had the 2nd to 3rd grind when cold, but after 9000 miles, it has almost gone away.

I do have the whine through certain rpm ranges. More noticeable than that, if I shift from 2nd to 3rd at 4000 rpm I can hear a loud screech or squeel outside the. This has happened since 1000 miles were on the car. I took it in awhile back and they said they were going to have a Nissan tech to come look at it. I left it, then I got a call saying that it went away. When I got the car back, it was gone.. but the shift was stiffer (they must have adjusted something and not told me).

Now it is happening again, so I just took it to the dealer last night. Other symptoms of transmission trouble.... slight grind when downshifting to 2nd, sometimes a quick grind when engaging the clutch in 3rd.... and one thing I don't quite get. When I got the car, the clutch caught really close to the bottom. Now it is catching higher.

Other than that I love the car, but I want to get this resolved before I put too many miles on the car. They will probably call back and say... "we can't hear the screech or what grind" as luck usually works.
Old 03-18-2003 | 11:32 AM
hwj

At 3400 miles today, no whine noises ever.
Old 03-18-2003 | 11:52 AM
WashUJon

I went for a joyride at lunch and the wine sounds like a belt. It whines no matter what state the drivetrain is in, so I'm sure its just dust on a drive belt or something. I'll check it out later. Unless its a severe tranny prob, it should just be belt noise.
Old 03-18-2003 | 01:21 PM
hwj

Good Luck. A belt is easy.

Now it's almost 5:30; we'll see what happens. If I'm back in the AM screaming and ranting again, everyone will know it's back grinding.
Old 03-18-2003 | 03:58 PM
zogan

I hear the wind sometimes, but not always. It freeks out my wife.
Old 03-18-2003 | 04:10 PM
zogan

oh yeah, i went to the dealer today, and they shot me short about the tranny, they said they would call me.
Old 03-20-2003 | 02:32 PM
zogan

Originally posted by zogan
Mine just started grinding in 3rd gear at 5500 miles. I am going to try and take it to the dealer tomorrow. I have CAI and flowmaster exhaust, do you think that will have any complications with getting it to covered under warrenty???? Thanks for the help
does anyone have the answer to this question?
Old 03-20-2003 | 02:37 PM
themyst

The transmission has nothing to do with your intake... they'll only screw you if they don't like you, so just be cool about it.
Old 03-21-2003 | 05:41 AM
hwj

Gentlemen:

What's a CAI?
Old 03-21-2003 | 03:02 PM
zogan

Originally posted by hwj
Gentlemen:

What's a CAI?
COLD AIR INTAKE/Induction
Old 03-22-2003 | 10:20 AM
hwj

Thanks.

PS:
I'm screaming again...the other night, coming home from work, it did it immediately upon start-up and once almost 30 miles out [45 minutes drive time] and certainly warmed-up. Dealer gets a call again Monday.
Old 03-24-2003 | 08:18 PM
mcduck

I also have started to experience the 3rd gear grind problem. Taking my car in tomorrow for the first look by the dealership.

I have noticed mine grinds when I am shifting hard or when the motor is at high revs (either upshift or downshift).
Old 04-06-2003 | 12:22 AM
Slexis200

soon going for my second replacement......... the first replacement was good for about 2 months, then the problem happened again....... going in this tuesday
Old 04-07-2003 | 05:15 AM
John
Premier Member

By law, your warranty cannot be voided unless they can prove that the modification caused the problem. If the dealership gives you flack, simply pull up the law (it's on the internet and not to difficult to find) and show it to them in writing. It's as simple as that.
Old 04-07-2003 | 08:31 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by Hedonist
By law, your warranty cannot be voided unless they can prove that the modification caused the problem. If the dealership gives you flack, simply pull up the law (it's on the internet and not to difficult to find) and show it to them in writing. It's as simple as that.
The FTC code is pretty vague with the causal relationship. The aftermarket part just has to be related to the problem, though pretty directly. And the manufacturer has to satisy the FTC that the aftermarket part is related to the problem raised by the consumer. They definitely can't show any direct relationship between a transmission or drivetrain part and a CAI. If your ECU acts up, for instance, the CAI will definitely be flagged.

I'll have to find the warranty code again, as I haven't read the actual language in a few months. I may be wrong, but as far as I recall, that's the language...
Old 05-03-2003 | 03:44 AM
hwj

Update:

Dealer has had car for the last 2 weeks and Nissan advised them to replace the Clevis pin. Well that took the dealer 10 days to find this out and order the part. It took until yesterday afternnoon to discover the part is on back-order and I won't find out the ETA until after this weekend. Nissan also advised my dealer to replace the trans if the pin replacement doesn't cure the grind/rake problem.

So after 2 weeks without my car I have:
1) No tranmission repaired
2) No Redline oil in the trans and rear diff
3) No scratch fixed [from one of my kids]
4) No extra key cut

But, I do have:
1) an open service ticket at the dealer
2) one dent repaired on the driver's door [kids the suspects here]
3) a filthy car that's been sitting outside for two weeks
4) a standing appointment to return and do this all over again

My car is now home so at least I can get a bit of enjoyment out of my investment for a week or so.

Quick Reply: 2nd to 3rd upshift grinds when cold