Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2nd to 3rd upshift grinds when cold

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003 | 05:34 PM
Importlife.com

I have had 3rd gear grind since 3000 miles. My vin is in the 500s. I have been living with it because mine seems to be off and on. Cold temps or whenever the problems wants to arise, i grind 3rd.

It's not just going from 2nd to 3rd. It's also grinding from a rolling stop, press the clutch to the floor, and go to thrid from the neutral position.

Very annoying and embarrassing. But as i said, it comes and goes. I may bring it into Smithtown this week.

But we'll see how it does tomorrow at the track.
Old 05-04-2003 | 05:07 AM
hwj

To Importlife:

Go back to page three of this posting and see how mine will grind, on occasion, without even moving.

Does yours do this or just on a rolling basis? I've never had anyone reply to this part of the problem. You're closest to date.
Old 05-04-2003 | 06:38 PM
mb27

Has anybody had a grind develop out of nowhere going into 5th? I have 6000 miles on mine and no tranny problems besides a very slight clunk when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and downshifting into second. This doen not happen all the time, I would say maybe 25% of the time.

The other day I was driving, shifted up into 5th and got that unmistakeable grind. It happened again later that night but hasn't happened since. The thing is, I don't know if it's the tranny or me just being lazy with the clutch. I might not have pushed it in all the way to the floor. 5th is usually the last gear I get into for everyday driving around, besides highway driving, so that shift might get lazy. I'll keep an eye out and post if it happens again.
Old 05-04-2003 | 08:42 PM
themyst

importlife.com, sorry to hear that man. I took my car to Amity Nissan, however, they have acknowledged and authorized warranty work on two 350zs on this forum (including mine). Since Amity's a bit closer than Smithtown, this may be your best bet.
Old 05-26-2003 | 11:32 AM
hwj

New replacement trans is being ordered and my case is the test case at my dealer. Clutch pedal clevis pin/rod replacement didn't cure the problem [which everyone suspected would be the case anyway].

Another lucky soul has the same problem; dealer's going to wait to see how mine fixes up before curing the next guy's.

Not only did I have the first car delivered off the truck, but I get to have my car experimented on first as well.

Could be worse... trans could have dropped dead entirely.
Old 05-27-2003 | 06:30 AM
themyst

Got my new tranny last week. Feels lighter on the foot, shifter requires a lot less effort... I'm still hesitant to comfortably shift into 3rd (still traumatized from the last tranny). Hopefully this tranny will last... I am definitely not beating on the tranny now... since I am more aware of my shifting.
Old 05-27-2003 | 07:47 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

good to hear the new tranny is working fine so far.. I just called my service advisor and left a message about my tranny, mine is grinding from 1st to 2nd sometimes, not all the time. It's hard to get into the gate though.

THere's a thread about transmission recall? is there any truth to that?
Old 05-27-2003 | 08:52 AM
hwj

To themyst:

Since you were the first person to reply, how many miles do you have on the new trans today?

Also, what is the "redline AX6" in your signature line mean? Is it a RedLine Oil product? I just noticed this today.

Thanks,
Henry
Old 05-27-2003 | 08:56 AM
themyst

Originally posted by hwj
To themyst:

Since you were the first person to reply, how many miles do you have on the new trans today?

Also, what is the "redline AX6" in your signature line mean? Is it a RedLine Oil product? I just noticed this today.

Thanks,
Henry
I have about 700 miles on the new tranny. Redline AX6 is in reference to the paint code
Old 05-27-2003 | 06:51 PM
hwj

Yes, I had forgotten about that part... I've become so "tunnel visioned" over this trans issue I immediately thought it was something I missed from RedLine Oil's product line.
Old 11-27-2003 | 04:58 AM
hwj

Here it is 4+ months and 5ooo miles after the replacement and the weather is now cold here in Pa.

I can happily report to everyone the replacement trans. is perfect without any slop, grind, noise, etc. The part # for the replacement trans. is: 32010-CD005. I don't know which sequence for the various transmission part numbers this one is.

Now I can put the RedLine trans oil in [it's been sitting on my garage shelf since April, waiting] and get some fractional mpg increase.
Old 11-28-2003 | 10:17 AM
manrey

Originally posted by hwj
Here it is 4+ months and 5ooo miles after the replacement and the weather is now cold here in Pa.

I can happily report to everyone the replacement trans. is perfect without any slop, grind, noise, etc. The part # for the replacement trans. is: 32010-CD005. I don't know which sequence for the various transmission part numbers this one is.

Now I can put the RedLine trans oil in [it's been sitting on my garage shelf since April, waiting] and get some fractional mpg increase.
Thanks for the update! WHat part number was your tranny? Cd00x?

Defective trannies i beleive are cd001-cd005
Old 11-28-2003 | 10:53 AM
Yielar

Mine is grinding from first to second mostly but sometimes second to third. Again it happens usually when it's cold which can be a pain in the a$$ when the service department tries to create the sound. Guess I'm going to have to leave it with them over night so they can hear what I mean. They told me that if they did do anything about the problem it would be a rebuild and not a new tranny. There is no way my new 50k ( Canadian ) car is getting a rebuilt tranny! I think it's time for us to put together a petetion form and send it to Nissan. They don't even have a TSB out for the grinding issue yet! I hope this gets resolved sooner than later.
Old 11-28-2003 | 05:08 PM
hwj

manrey:

I don't know what the part # was on the original trans. Given that my car was the 161st built, I suppose it would have been cd001.

yielar:

They have to keep it overnight in order to see what it will do when completely cold. Forget driving it in for a look see later on during the day at the dealer.

They should replace it, and most likely that's what will be done. Rebuilding transmissions is some sort of black magic from my perspective and they'll do and R&R.
Old 12-04-2003 | 02:21 PM
OptimusP517

hmmm the dealer says they can't replicate the problem, i guess i'll have to go in tomorrow and drive the car myself to show it to them, jeeze!
Old 12-05-2003 | 02:43 AM
hwj

Optimus:

Been there; done that.

You'll need to bring it in and leave it overnight, only to return the next morning and take it for a ride with the service writer or tech.
Once they either hear the noise or feel it through the shifter, they'll agree at once.

Somewhat inconvenient, but it's better to just do it this way and not have your car sitting for a day without resolution.

You may also have to endure the wasted time of getting the clevis pin replaced first, only to come back and then leave it for a "Trans.plant".
Old 12-22-2003 | 12:49 AM
jeffrey

I have the same problem right now.

Going to see the dealer tomorrow.

2nd to 3rd grinds regardless of engine temp. I can "ease" it in slowly or shift below 2500 rpm (approx) with no grinding.

~22,000 mi on the car atm.