Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

A word on stereo upgrades, and maintenance...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003 | 02:48 PM
onecoolee

Default A word on stereo upgrades, and maintenance...

Since this is a multi-purpose thread, I will post it in the A/V technical thread as well...

I decided to do all of my own stereo work on my CS Touring w/ NAV. I am a little picky when it comes to installs, and I feel its better to save the money, and claim that I did the work myself, and that always makes me feel better, and gives me more cash to put towards a nicer system.

Never before have I worked on a car with so much sophistication. This has lead to a couple of issues for me. Here is what I did...

I started the work by rolling the windows down and disconnecting the ground wire on the battery. I needed to do this to complete the power cable (4Ga) routing for my amps. I also installed a new interface (not complete yet) for the audio, and video upgrade portion for the factory navigation system, which incorporates a PS2 for DVD play capability. In the process of these upgrades, I left the ground disconnected for about 48 hours. This is not something that you would think could cause any issues, but it did for me. Once I got the work partially done, I decided to connect the ground wire on the battery again, and do some initial testing. I first noticed that my tire pressure sensors were no longer working. After some investigation, I found a blown fuse, which I replaced, and fixed that problem. I still don't know how that happened as I did not touch anything involved with that portion of hte system. However, now, my service engine soon light has been lit ever since I connected the battery ground again. It is not a fuse, and I cannot track down any issues. I even put the MIL sensor into diagnostic mode, and reset the memory (thanks God for the Factory Service Manual--its incredible). I still have the Service Engine Soon light (not flashing, but on). According to the owners manual, a solid light means a malfunction in the emmisions portion of hte car, and is not an emergency, but if the light doesn't go out after a couple trips, then take the vehicle in for service. I have been out for a few trips and the light is still on, so I am taking her into the shop tomorrow.

One other word of advice...this car has intelligent manageability. In other words, if it detects a problem, then it stores that info and essentially tries to shut down that portion of the system. Here is an example. If you remove a seat from the Z with side airbags, with the battery connected, it gets pissed off. So it will disable the complete SRS system thinking a harness has been cut, disconnected, etc. Trust me, this happend to me. The only way to fix it is to put the system into diagnostic mode II and clear out the warning. This was easy to do, but without the FSM, I would have been lost. Your best bet is to work on the vehicle with the battery cable disconnected to prevent issues like this, but I still have yet to determine the casue of my Service Engine Soon warning. So, there will be more to come...

A word of warning, be very careful when doing any work on this car, as you could get into big trouble. If you aren't careful, you will be at the dealership quite a bit for Diagnostics check-ups, and resets.
Old 01-23-2003 | 11:39 AM
pinkie

Default Service Engine Soon Light on

Since my Sirius Radio was installed my Service Engine Soon light is on. How did you get yours to turn off? E-Mail shaliburton@***.net