Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

One last try to fix rattle....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006 | 01:58 PM
Sevs2k

Originally Posted by JMS350Z
Sevs2k- When you say "hatch shocks", do you mean the ones that keep the hatch up, or the two small black ones that cushion the hatch when they come down?
-jason
yes, the ones that hold it up.

I am still unsure thats the source of the noise. That's what the dealer thinks.

Anyways, I will know in a few days.

Sev
Old 03-29-2006 | 12:24 PM
JMS350Z

I wonder why the ones that hold the hatch up would cause the hatch to rattle when it is closed. If you think about it, they are really not doing anything when the hatch is down, you would think it would rattle with the hatch open if this was the problem.
-jason
Old 03-29-2006 | 12:27 PM
Sevs2k

I wonder why the ones that hold the hatch up would cause the hatch to rattle when it is closed. If you think about it, they are really not doing anything when the hatch is down, you would think it would rattle with the hatch open if this was the problem.
-jason

It sounds like someone is moving a plastic pen inside a metal tube. Like, tick, click, tick, click.

Kind of sounds like it might be the metal shaft of the shock on the plastic shock body...

I am not sure that is the source of the problem. Dealer thinks so.

I hope it is, the noise makes me .

Sev
Old 03-29-2006 | 03:53 PM
JMS350Z

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, let me know how it goes.
-jason
Old 04-03-2006 | 06:12 PM
Sevs2k

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, let me know how it goes.
-jason
Went to the dealer today. Noise is still there. I am going back on April 17th so they can continue searching. I can't stand the noise.

I think it is either coming from the passanger side rear suspension or area behind the rear storage box.

Old 04-08-2006 | 06:09 AM
havok72

I also have a rattle in rear of car poss under car.
Old 04-20-2006 | 07:34 AM
JMS350Z

Sevs2k-Any luck getting the rattle taken care of?
-jason
Old 04-20-2006 | 09:35 AM
Sevs2k

Sevs2k-Any luck getting the rattle taken care of?
-jason
They replaced the hatch shocks. Noise is still there.

Reviewed panels and stuff touched during fuel shutter valve install. Noise is still there.

They replaced rear bar end links, noise is still there.

They think the noise is coming from the rear passanger shock. Shock is on order. Praying

Sev
Old 04-20-2006 | 09:37 AM
ANXIOUZ

Dang. You're going to have a whole new car piece-by-piece before they find the noise. lol.
Old 04-21-2006 | 08:01 AM
tenpenniesz

Not sure if this is the same rattle or not. I had a problem with my rear hatch rattling so i went to the store and bought a few of the adhesive rubber stoppers/feet that you put on the bottom of pitctures, artwork, vases, flower pots, etc. when they are sitting on top of nice wood as to prevent scratching. You can get them at any retail store. I got my at target in the tool section by the different glues and velcro adhesives. They usually come in small pack of 8. Anyway I glued a stopper down under each for black hatch springs on the side of the rear hatch and it took care of the problem right away. Apparently the build quality is not that great and the rear hatch can develop a metallic rattle due to the lose fit. Drove me crazy until my $2 fix. The stoppers come with an adhesive backing but make sure you use something to glue them down as well. I ended up using Gorilla glue and it worked great. Before you glue them down though try driving around with the stoppers in place just with the adhesive backing and see how that works. Best of luck, it took me a long time to figure this one out.

Last edited by tenpenniesz; 04-21-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-21-2006 | 03:23 PM
JMS350Z

tenpenniesz-Good idea I assume you mean the small "accordian" looking things on either side of the hatch, not the shocks that hold the hatch up, correct?
Old 04-24-2006 | 10:08 AM
tenpenniesz

Correct! Just go ahead and add the rubber stopper right under the hatch springs (accordian looking black springs) and see if that works out.
Old 04-24-2006 | 10:55 AM
JMS350Z

Thanx man.
-jason
Old 04-24-2006 | 01:56 PM
tenpenniesz

Good Deal, let me know how it turns out.
Old 05-08-2006 | 01:18 PM
Sevs2k

Still no solution on this. Dealer replaced the shock and the noise is still there. I spoke to the tech and he said that they drove the car without the shock and the noise was gone and with the new shock, the noise was back. They've had the car since last Thursday, they've pulled the whole rear interrior apart, they have no idea. The tech thinks it might be a broken weld in the shock tower.

I am starting to get worried!

Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 05-08-2006 | 02:32 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by Sevs2k
Still no solution on this. Dealer replaced the shock and the noise is still there. I spoke to the tech and he said that they drove the car without the shock and the noise was gone and with the new shock, the noise was back. They've had the car since last Thursday, they've pulled the whole rear interrior apart, they have no idea. The tech thinks it might be a broken weld in the shock tower.

I am starting to get worried!

Anyone have any experience with this?
i had exactly the same problem the first month i bought the Z back in 03. It took the dealer a whole month to figure it out. They changed one of the rear hatch strut and changed the left rear suspension strut also. It was actually the left rear strut hitting the shock tower. There was too much of a gap in between (due to poor build quality) that was causing that tapping/clicking noise. The tech used a shim or gasket and took care of the noise. i hope this help.
Old 05-08-2006 | 11:05 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by OutsiderZ5
Yeah wondering here too. I got some funny rattle (sounds like a loose bolt or washer sometimes). Curious to see if your issues may be the same. I only hear the rattle when accelerating from a stop in first gear and very rarely at the beginning of second gear. but it doesn't happen all the time!?!?!?!?
I have same thing

tryied a bunch of stuff... rear fender liner, hatch, shocks, latch, plastic stuff in boot, no luck. THere are like a bizzilion things that could click

Last edited by Nano; 05-08-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2006 | 11:41 AM
Sevs2k

Originally Posted by Ztalker
i had exactly the same problem the first month i bought the Z back in 03. It took the dealer a whole month to figure it out. They changed one of the rear hatch strut and changed the left rear suspension strut also. It was actually the left rear strut hitting the shock tower. There was too much of a gap in between (due to poor build quality) that was causing that tapping/clicking noise. The tech used a shim or gasket and took care of the noise. i hope this help.

You had your noise from day 1?

I only got my noise after 3 years and about 45k miles of owning the car. I will tell the tech about your fix and see what he thinks. I still haven't heard from them today, doesn't look good.

Thanks for your help.
Sev
Old 05-10-2006 | 08:15 AM
Sevs2k

Not so good news from the dealer today. Looks like the noise was coming from a gap that was created between the rear strut bar and shock tower. Maybe from normal wear and tear, maybe from a bump, i don't know. Part of the strut tower needs to be replaced and some stuff have to be rewelded. Total is 2100 CDN. Waiting on Nissan's approval. Will take about a week to do. Holding my breath.
Old 05-10-2006 | 09:36 AM
Nano

that's crazy

you should take pictures if you can

Quick Reply: One last try to fix rattle....