Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

One last try to fix rattle....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006 | 10:05 AM
tenpenniesz

Intersting - that's a strange thing to have happen. What a pain!

Last edited by tenpenniesz; 05-10-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-10-2006 | 06:22 PM
jomaxum

Originally Posted by JMS350Z
Ok folks, here's the story. I posted a few weeks ago that I had an annoying rattle comming from the back of the car. I have narrowed it down to the hatch since when I raise the hatch and drive around, there is no rattle. As per the dealerships suggestion, I tried moving the lower latch around to see if that would fix it, no luck. I've moved it left, right, up, down, etc. I pulled off the plastic piece on the underside of the hatch, nothing loose in there. It has to the latch that is causing this problem, it is not loose or anything. Hopefully someone has figured this out. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
-jason
I know what it is!!!!!!!!!!!! $50 and I will tell you how to fix it!!!!!!! Just kidding. It is the disc brake backing plates on the rear wheels. It took me two months to find that noise. Everytime I drove over bumps on the freeway with the right wheel I heard this tinny metal rattle sound coming from the rear hatch area. It turned it to be the backing plate. I bent the plate away from the wheel just enough to stop the noise. Never heard it again after 15,000 miles of sweet silence.
Old 05-15-2006 | 07:53 AM
JMS350Z

jomaxum- How exactly did you do this? At this point I'm willing to try just about anything.
-jason
Old 05-15-2006 | 02:57 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

^ werd...i have this (loose change) sounding like rattle @ the back of my hatch...sounds like it's coming from the rear strut bar, what a PITA to hear the annoying sound everything you hit a bump
Old 05-16-2006 | 07:19 AM
Sevs2k

Originally Posted by stogey420time
^ werd...i have this (loose change) sounding like rattle @ the back of my hatch...sounds like it's coming from the rear strut bar, what a PITA to hear the annoying sound everything you hit a bump
Sounds like my problem.

I have yet to receive any news on mine!
Old 05-29-2006 | 10:33 AM
Tsyle

I have a 2006 and i have a little rattle... its not noticable unless i completely turn off the radio... is that the same noise you guys are hearing?
Old 05-29-2006 | 07:20 PM
jomaxum

jomaxum- How exactly did you do this? At this point I'm willing to try just about anything.
-jason

Remove the rear wheels. The backing plate is the thin metal plate between the rotor and the axel. Bend the plate away from the the rotor slightly, just enough to clear everything then give the plate a tap. The ringing, metallic sound should be gone.
Old 06-01-2006 | 06:42 PM
Cyp

Great!!!(sarcasm) I installed my tein suspension three weeks ago, and about two weeks ago I have this noise on the back passenger side. Only makes noise when going over bumps. When I hit a hard bump, it sounds like something is about to fall off. I hope there is a fix, cause I'm considering getting rid of the car because of it. I am seriously alergic to that kind of noise!!! ARRRRRRRGH!!!!
Old 06-01-2006 | 10:08 PM
Cyp

Ok folks, here's the story. I posted a few weeks ago that I had an annoying rattle comming from the back of the car. I have narrowed it down to the hatch since when I raise the hatch and drive around, there is no rattle. As per the dealerships suggestion, I tried moving the lower latch around to see if that would fix it, no luck. I've moved it left, right, up, down, etc. I pulled off the plastic piece on the underside of the hatch, nothing loose in there. It has to the latch that is causing this problem, it is not loose or anything. Hopefully someone has figured this out. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
-jason
Did you lower your car? @ how many miles did your problems start to occur?
Old 06-01-2006 | 10:32 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by Cyp
Great!!!(sarcasm) I installed my tein suspension three weeks ago, and about two weeks ago I have this noise on the back passenger side. Only makes noise when going over bumps. When I hit a hard bump, it sounds like something is about to fall off. I hope there is a fix, cause I'm considering getting rid of the car because of it. I am seriously alergic to that kind of noise!!! ARRRRRRRGH!!!!
It could be the top bolt on the rear shock tower is loose. Is your tein flex? If so, is it an older used unit? It seems to be a common problem among the older flex models?
Old 06-02-2006 | 06:54 AM
JMS350Z

Did you lower your car? @ how many miles did your problems start to occur?
No, my car is not lowered. I guess I started noticing it around 10,000 mi.
-jason
Old 06-02-2006 | 07:13 AM
Cyp

Originally Posted by gt3
It could be the top bolt on the rear shock tower is loose. Is your tein flex? If so, is it an older used unit? It seems to be a common problem among the older flex models?
I swapped the rear shock from left to right and the noise is still on the right side. So its not the shock. What I think it is is the rubber perch the spring is pushing up against. That rubber part up top is mounted by these metal claw type things. I don't know how to describe it. I will be taking that apart today and see if that is it. Next thing I'm going to do is have my brother drive my car and Ill get in my trunk to try to pinpoint it.
Old 06-02-2006 | 07:14 AM
Cyp

Oh, I'm running Tein Basics. I purchased them about three weeks ago
Old 06-03-2006 | 10:28 PM
Cyp

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....08#post2453608

Solution is on post #7 by Z talker which I quote.
Old 09-21-2006 | 02:22 PM
schimmel1977

I have had that damn rattle in the back forever as well. Nissan had some special engineer come out and look at it. Basically the roof liner was misaligned and was rubbing on the rivets. So they re-alignend it, problem is it has gotten mis-aligned twice since than. Did your metal clicking rattle start out small and beomce more noticeable cause that's what happened to me. Not sure if that's your same issue, but could be a possible solution.
Old 09-21-2006 | 08:20 PM
Cyp

hmmm, havent heard that one yet. You comming to the Treasure Island meet oct 1st?
Old 09-26-2006 | 05:57 AM
MaxZmus

I have the same rattle, it has been there from day 1. I have had it worked on and it got slightly better but I gave up trying to get it corrected (which is Nissan's favorite solution).
Old 09-26-2006 | 06:24 PM
Cyp

Originally Posted by MaxZmus
I have the same rattle, it has been there from day 1. I have had it worked on and it got slightly better but I gave up trying to get it corrected (which is Nissan's favorite solution).
Yeah, mine only makes a noise when I hit a big dip, or something hard on the road. Its not as bad as it was before I remedied it.
Old 09-26-2006 | 06:35 PM
glowz825

Originally Posted by MaxZmus
The way I fixed my rattle/ticking noise I pulled the trunk striker off of the trunk lid and put a shim in between the trunk lid and the striker in between the two bolt holes this will create a uneven surface and when tightend down will compress the multiple layers of crappy spot welded metal together thus getting rid of the MOST ANNOYING SOUND IN THE WORLD!!!!!!Ever since I did this I can love my Z again
Old 09-26-2006 | 07:38 PM
MaxZmus

Thanks cyp, wish I would have mentioned sooner -- I just sold my Z this evening! That does seem like the a perfect solution! I guess I should pass on your fix to the new owner, but I lived with it for 4 years...

Quick Reply: One last try to fix rattle....