Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

At Idle my Z seems to vibrate excessively

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 05:45 PM
holguie81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At Idle my Z seems to vibrate excessively

At Idle my Z seems to vibrate excessively- almost like it has a misfire. The needle bounces around on the tach allot more than I've ever seen on any other car and engine makes a chattering noise from time to time. It has done this since it was new, I've taken it to the dealer(s) (3 different dealers) 13 times over the past year. At first they told me it was due to my Greddy Evo 2 exhaust, so after several times of them telling me it was the exhaust I finally let them take it off, and sure enough it was still vibrating excessively. Then they told me there was a problem and that they were working on it with Nissan. After a couple of weeks they came out and told me there is nothing wrong with the car that I just need to get use to my car. At that point I called Nissan Motors and expressed my concern, so they dispatched an engineer who just finished looking at the car today. He also says there is nothing wrong with my car. I don't know what to think, I’ve driven other new Z's also 6 speeds and a couple used ones but none of there were 6 speeds like mine. Obviously I can't compare the new ones to mine, but I can't find a used one to compare my car with. I am not sure if I should just accept this have them put my greddy exhaust back on and call it a day or if I should keep fighting this. What kind of Idle does every one else have, am I the only one having this problem, and what do you guys or gals think?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:24 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

What RPM is your idle? I would have assumed that the dealers and the Nissan engineer would have check it. If you turn on your A/C, which bumps up the idle, does it run smoother?

I've noticed over the last few months that my idle is lower than usual, not sure why but it seems to be at least 100 rpms less. Mine seems rougher too and I attributed it to the lower idle. I had a problem where I noticed a metallic noice that seemed to coincide with a misfire. I was told by several knowledgable members here that it is normal, the noise is probably the pistons slapping the cylinder walls and that it happens at very low RPMs.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:03 PM
holguie81

I am not sure exactly what RPM my idle is at, I know it is supposedly with in specs, but it seems to move or dip as I call it and when it does that is when I get chattering noise. I've been told that noise is drive train chatter and is normal, but what bothers me is the stumble. The whole car vibrates and when the rpms dip it stumbles. The dealer and Nissan are always going to tell you nothing is wrong unless the engine falls out or if you can prove it. They keep telling me its normal or an idiosyncrasy as they called it but the were not able to show me on another car. I would love to compare with another Z if its the same I'll just accept it and have them put the greddy exhaust back on and call it a day, but my gut feeling tells me some thing is wrong.

Last edited by holguie81; 02-22-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:06 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You may be right that there is something wrong. It may only be a marginal problem and until it get's really bad so that it's obvious to the dealer, they probably won't do anything.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:46 AM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does the same thing dont worry you are not alone. I took mine to the dealer and they told me the idle was right where it needed to be, except this is my second Z so i know where the idle "should be"!! Mine idles around 600-700Rpms but it fluctuates as well...I did notice that when i swapped my exhaust the noise went away as i had an exhaust leak with my Stillen Exhaust. I also notice less noise when the clutch is in. The good thing is the performance is still there as i have tracked my car and i feel as though it is running really strong with just a custom exhaust set up. (13.8 @ 101.5)

Anyway keep plugging away and keep us posted if anything comes up on your side, I will do the same.

Chad
Old 03-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Dissolved

do you have an intake? what about aftermarket manifold? Sounds like an air leak
Old 03-05-2006, 01:19 PM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an intake ready to install but not on the car yet.. I think it was originally an exhaust leak... I will keep you all posted

Chad