Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

What to do after 1200 miles??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 04:38 PM
s9am_me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do after 1200 miles??

since i'm bout to finish break-in... is there anything i should do to the car? Like change the oil or anything?? Just wondering cuz this is my first MT and first brand new car. Right now i'm at about 1135 miles. Been trying to keep it under 4K rpm but sometimes i just get carried away
Old 01-24-2003, 07:09 PM
Intrepid

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change the oil and oil filter for sure. You can now drive over 4,000 RPM.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:24 PM
hwj

Don't wait - Mobil 1 and a Nissan Filter Now, at 2500, then at 5000.

Let this first oil change drain, drain, drain; to get as much [sand and metal shavings] as possible out of the oil pan.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:51 PM
redz32/bluez33

Talking What to do? As fast as you can!

Do what I did...Find an empty road and crank it on! At 1250 miles I did 138 MPH, and let me tell you, that's why we all bought this car. Smooth, no shimmy, no twitches, only 5000 RPM, and it felt like it had plenty left. Yeah, I know I'll get flack from people saying that I was probably damaging the engine or something, but I figure, if 1200 miles is good enough for Nissan, it's good enough for me. Have fun, be safe.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:18 PM
iboost

Instructions for fun with your newly broken in Z.
by iBoost

Your newly broken in Z is quite the performer... if you allow her to be. You see: she's both an athlete and classy girl. She's very willing to please so long as you treat her right. Here are a few steps to get you started on the road to a long lasting, mutually beneficial relationship:

1) Change her oil & filter (Foreplay: tease her).

2) After the oil change, allow her to warm up her engine to normal operating temperature (More foreplay. Only this time, she's teasing you).

3) Get inside her, take her somewhere you two can be alone and open her up. Take her all the way up and down her rev range all the while listening to her seductive growl as you manipulate her and push her farther than she's ever been.

4) After she's whet your appetite and made you hunger for more, come to a complete stop and pause for just a few seconds as you both catch your breath. Don't stop too long, you don't want to cool down too much either.

5) Get on her again -- aggresively this time -- launching her... She will claw the road for all she's worth. Don't worry if she barks while launching -- that's her way of telling you she's having a good time.

6) You're approaching the speed limit. Things are becoming dangerous. You can slow down... but we both know what you're not going to anyways.

7) Find a couple of winding roads and push her to her limits. You'll be surprised at how far she can go. You may soon realize that she can do more than you expected and that perhaps YOU won't reach HER limits on this journey. Its okay though. Learning her limits comes with time and tonight is your honeymoon.

Enjoy the ride.

-iboost
Old 01-26-2003, 11:56 PM
s9am_me

hahaha.. funny stuff.. thanks for the imaginative descriptions
Old 01-28-2003, 07:47 PM
dogpatch

I informed service mgr. that i was going to change oil @ 1200mi. He offered that the oil put in by Nissan very light weight, "but don't call it 'break in' oil", would be fine until first change. he did not like idea of synthetic - keep contaminants in the engine too long- i don't either - clean out the crap-. As to not going over 4000 rpm for break in, he said "drive it like it's yours". good idea and attitude. i'll follow the mfg instructions for break in since my Z easily will do 100mph under 3500rpm in 6th, but can't wait until 1201miles. currently have 300 - got car last friday. 1st night 100!!! No complaints. Only 1 suggestion - keep the rubber side down.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:30 AM
OverDriven

Originally posted by iboost
Instructions for fun with your newly broken in Z.
by iBoost

Your newly broken in Z is quite the performer... if you allow her to be. You see: she's both an athlete and classy girl. She's very willing to please so long as you treat her right. Here are a few steps to get you started on the road to a long lasting, mutually beneficial relationship:

1) Change her oil & filter (Foreplay: tease her).

2) After the oil change, allow her to warm up her engine to normal operating temperature (More foreplay. Only this time, she's teasing you).

3) Get inside her, take her somewhere you two can be alone and open her up. Take her all the way up and down her rev range all the while listening to her seductive growl as you manipulate her and push her farther than she's ever been.

4) After she's whet your appetite and made you hunger for more, come to a complete stop and pause for just a few seconds as you both catch your breath. Don't stop too long, you don't want to cool down too much either.

5) Get on her again -- aggresively this time -- launching her... She will claw the road for all she's worth. Don't worry if she barks while launching -- that's her way of telling you she's having a good time.

6) You're approaching the speed limit. Things are becoming dangerous. You can slow down... but we both know what you're not going to anyways.

7) Find a couple of winding roads and push her to her limits. You'll be surprised at how far she can go. You may soon realize that she can do more than you expected and that perhaps YOU won't reach HER limits on this journey. Its okay though. Learning her limits comes with time and tonight is your honeymoon.

Enjoy the ride.

-iboost
LMFAO!!!

-Joe
Old 01-29-2003, 11:35 AM
DJDaizzy

When I was talking to my service manager, he told me him and his machanics does not buy the whole baby the car during break in period thing. He said drive normal, it will not hurt a thing if you get on it everyones a while, just don't go racing in it before 1000 miles. He also said, if you drive your car like a grandma when it's new, it will always perform like a grandma.