Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

$9000?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 01:38 PM
damnnit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well GOOD LUCK to you. Same thing happened to me before, they claimed it was a dead clutch and tried to charge me $1k for clutch and labor, can you believe that??? Well I didnt have my car for a month while arguing wit them, at least I got a new clutch and install for free. My TCS, SES, SLIP lights were on also, so after about 2 weeks with teh car back in my hands, sadly it went back into the shop. Turns out it was a electical short. Might be that.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:40 PM
damnnit

Oh yea, Im not sure but having them build you a motor would be about the same time as Nissan getting you another motor no? They seem to lag it all the time and theyre charging you a hell of a lot more money. Maybe someone can chime in with their built motor time and results. So unless you get a rental car while your car is with nissan, i think you should go elsewhere.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:01 PM
godmans

Subscribing...
Old 03-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Nitzotrem

You could buy a used motor out of a wrecked Z for a 1-2G's and have an independent mechanic install it. This would be cheaper than a rebuild and/or a new motor from Nissan, this is what i did in my celica.

Last edited by Nitzotrem; 03-10-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:52 PM
yeperra

Subscribing
Old 03-10-2006, 03:11 PM
KwanZito

I agree that since the bolts themselves are on the outside of the plenum, it would be nearly impossible for one to come loose and fall in. HOWEVER, what worried me while I was installing mine were those little rubber donut spacer things that stuck on with double sided tape in the center of the plenum cover, then you put the bolt through them to secure it. I was so afraid one of those was going to fall in. But I don't see how one of those could have taken out 5 cyl's.

Good luck man, I hope a better mechanic finds you a simpler solution.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Beer Goggles

Rubber wouldn't kill and engine. Also WHY WHY WHY do people not take aftermarket parts off the engine when they have issues like this. Take the stuff off and go to another dealer. Slip the other service guy $100 bucks to forget that you brought it to them.

But I don't buy something taking out 5 cyclinders either. I'd be asking for some proof and be contacting a lawyer.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KwanZito
I agree that since the bolts themselves are on the outside of the plenum, it would be nearly impossible for one to come loose and fall in. HOWEVER, what worried me while I was installing mine were those little rubber donut spacer things that stuck on with double sided tape in the center of the plenum cover, then you put the bolt through them to secure it. I was so afraid one of those was going to fall in. But I don't see how one of those could have taken out 5 cyl's.

Good luck man, I hope a better mechanic finds you a simpler solution.
+1

Pretty impossible! Unless during the install or down the road, the 6 rubber spacers fell off then eventually fell into the motor causing problems to 5 of the 6 cylinders???

Conclusion... VERY UNLIKELY!

I feel bad for you ... GL fighting Nissan!
Zquicksilver
Old 03-10-2006, 04:07 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

Originally Posted by Beer Goggles
Rubber wouldn't kill and engine. Also WHY WHY WHY do people not take aftermarket parts off the engine when they have issues like this. Take the stuff off and go to another dealer. Slip the other service guy $100 bucks to forget that you brought it to them.

But I don't buy something taking out 5 cyclinders either. I'd be asking for some proof and be contacting a lawyer.
Yeah, i had hoped to be able to take some stuff off to take the car in, but it was dark and in the cracker barrel parking lot, and i had no tools or anything. I will be getting thier written statment on it as well as from the independent mechanic, and depending on what he finds we'll see about a lawyer.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Mike
Old 03-10-2006, 04:08 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

Originally Posted by Nitzotrem
You could buy a used motor out of a wrecked Z for a 1-2G's and have an independent mechanic install it. This would be cheaper than a rebuild and/or a new motor from Nissan, this is what i did in my celica.
Yep, thats exactly what i plan on doing if the motor does actually need to be replaced and isnt covered by the factory warranty, because 4g's is better than 9.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:58 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you drop a bolt into the engine, wouldn't the bolt sit on top of the piston. And when you start the car wouldn't it make one hell of a racket? Please explain.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:22 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

Yesterday I sent my fiance to go get my parking pass out of the car, because she lives about 15 mins from the dealership while i live about an hour away, and when she went in there she said the car looked fine, except there were five guys standing around the engine bay just looking at it... this strikes me as odd for some reason... they weren't working on it, and from the best she could tell it was taken apart a little bit... man i am so uneasy about leaving my car there for a minute longer... i would really be interested to know what has actually be going on, especially during the "two hours" of work they have put into it for the 36 hours they had an opportunity to work on it for.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:12 AM
iyah

Subscribing, hope everything works out.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:15 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

Had the car towed Monday to the new shop, and they wont be able to look at it until the beginning of next week because of other cars ahead of me. When the owner looked at the report Nissan wrote up, he seemed to think it could be the timing belt, which could cause the no compression issue. I would think this would be covered under warranty, correct?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Should be
Old 03-16-2006, 03:38 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

Supposing I do have to replace my engine, and its not a warranty issue, would this be a good choice for a replacement?

http://www.z1motorsports.com/product...oducts_id=1446

In the end I think it would only cost 3500 plus shipping for the motor... or is that for FI? They have some other engines there I just dont know what I need (i don't plan on going FI anytime soon)
Old 03-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by mrpratt
Had the car towed Monday to the new shop, and they wont be able to look at it until the beginning of next week because of other cars ahead of me. When the owner looked at the report Nissan wrote up, he seemed to think it could be the timing belt, which could cause the no compression issue. I would think this would be covered under warranty, correct?
lol...i don't think the Z uses a timing belt...
Old 03-17-2006, 01:21 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't. We use a timing chain.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:31 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

hey man, where's your car right now?
Old 03-17-2006, 05:14 AM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

Originally Posted by Armitage
It doesn't. We use a timing chain.
Oh, i didnt know that, thanks. The dealership called it the timing belt, just more proof they didnt know what the hell was going on, and i think that is what they wrote on the report so thats what the other mechanic said. When he gets to it monday or tuesday I'm sure he will figure that out.

Originally Posted by ZIABLO
hey man, where's your car right now?
Its in richmond, at the new mechanics shop. can't remember the name off hand, but i've got his card layin around somewhere, my room is just a little messy right now. Yeah I've seen you a couple times drivin around town, my fiance always says "hey look a Z that works" just to make me feel better. I get a little jealous, even though I'm drivin a sweet 99 silver volvo s70, but hey at least i have something to drive for now.

Quick Reply: $9000?