Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Saddlebag gas tanks...for those having problems with gas pump shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 01:10 PM
shagz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddlebag gas tanks...for those having problems with gas pump shutoff

I've had this problem probably every third time I fill gas. The pump shuts off, with either half/quarter full or on one day after putting only $7 worth of gas. It's a brand new Shell station, so I know there is no problem with the pumps there. And I've tried in different stations too.
Anyway, I talked to the dealer about this. He called me back today and said that NNA asked them to do some tests on the gas tank. Apparantly, it's a new design of gas tank, he called the saddlebag, and Nissan has some concerns with it. I asked him if they were safety concerns, but he didn't know exactly. My car will be at the dealer all of next week, while they repaint the trunk lid (the paint was corroding off...Nissan is paying for it), replace the window rollers so I don't get the oil streaks, and test out the gas tank.
Have any of you heard of this saddlebag design of the gastank ?
I will keep you guys posted.
I have printed out all the threads here discussing the gas tank problem, and will give it to the dealer to pass on to NNA.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Z33Fan

The fuel tank actually sits below the space where the storage box and Bose/non-Bose factory location is.

Looking at the FSM, it's definitely saddlebag-shaped. I'm not aware of any safety concerns, however. It's right in the middle of the car.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:02 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

weight in middle = very good. makes it more manueverable, and keeps it balanced.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:16 PM
regis

I have 2k on my z and have had problems filling the tank twice.

brushed it off as just one of those things... have since filled at one of the "problem" pumps and it worked fine.

Maybe under certain conditions the gas just does flow freely from the filler side to the non-filler side. the "saddle" implies two tanks

anybody with the service manual see how the tanks are connected?

Please keep us informed....
Old 02-04-2003, 03:42 PM
shagz

I looked over the service manual. Looks like the filler pipe feeds into the right sidebag. I think the gas flows between the sidebags through a channel inside the gastank.
I have a strong feeling it's the Fuel Level Sensor. There was mention of not damaging the Float Arm. I'm not that tech savvy to know the details how the Sensor works but I have a feeling it's the sensor (and the Float Arm has a part to play).
If someone is willing to host the diagrams from the FSM, I can email the pages.