Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Wtf!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 08:39 PM
Shift_Speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wtf!!!

this car blows *** in the snow... i knew that already but... i have a question... when i braked to slow down my cars brakes didn't push in all the way... and it felt as if there was something preventing me from pushing the brakes down to the ground... it wasn't like abs where it holds and lets go of the brakes automatically... it just wouldn't go down and my car just kept moving... is this some sort of special braking method the Z comes with....

obviously im a newbie at rear wheel drive cars... and i found out today that driving it in a snow storm is a bad idea... my car is parked in the supermarket lot...half the time i was driving strait while my car looked like it was turning right...(drift) i need some advice on driving in bad weather.. n e suggestions... and does anyone kno what i'm talkin about with the brakes... please reply
Old 02-07-2003, 05:04 AM
ZpikeZ

Default Re: Wtf!!!

Originally posted by Shift_Speed
this car blows *** in the snow... i knew that already but... i have a question... when i braked to slow down my cars brakes didn't push in all the way... and it felt as if there was something preventing me from pushing the brakes down to the ground... it wasn't like abs where it holds and lets go of the brakes automatically... it just wouldn't go down and my car just kept moving... is this some sort of special braking method the Z comes with....

obviously im a newbie at rear wheel drive cars... and i found out today that driving it in a snow storm is a bad idea... my car is parked in the supermarket lot...half the time i was driving strait while my car looked like it was turning right...(drift) i need some advice on driving in bad weather.. n e suggestions... and does anyone kno what i'm talkin about with the brakes... please reply
LOL special braking method ... first of all you wouldnt want to mash the brakes all the way down to the ground in snow ... that's just asking for a slide. Do you have a pair of dedicated snow tires? If you don't, well, then get them. There are many threads on snow tires. Also, keep the car in a higher gear when driving slowly, and dont make any sudden movements with the wheel (unless you have too). But the most important thing is DRIVE SLOWLY. Hope this helps ...
Old 02-07-2003, 07:08 AM
WashUJon

Do NOT drive in snow with the OEM tires!!! They are summer tires ONLY!!! That point can't be reiterated enough here on this site, it seems.

The only snow my Z has seen is the little bit left in the alley a week ago. Its melted since, because the weather was warm last week, but I barely got ANY traction going 5 mph through a gravel alley covered in maybe an INCH of snow.

If you get stuck in a snow storm, leave the car! Otherwise, head home as soon as it starts snowing and drive REALLY slow. Don't make any sudden moves on the steering or throttle. Shift slowly and, as was said, stay in a high gear to keep the RPMs low. Downshift late to keep the RPMs as low as possible, as well. And when you do downshift, let the clutch out sloooowly to minimize any sudden power. Engine brake like this as much as possible and stay off the brakes as much as possible. The key is smoothness. Operate everything slowly and smoothly and plan ahead. Start slowing early for red lights and give plenty of distance behind cars. All of this should be intuitive to the experienced winter driver, but I'm saying it anyway.

The OEM tires are like hockey pucks even in the DRY cold. I had my car out last night when it was about 20 degrees and the tires were ok as long as I drove slowly and let them heat up a bit. I found that they have a very low "limit" when they're cold, so you have to watch out and pay close attention to the traction they give you. Even when its dry out. The tire compound is very soft but gets pretty stiff when the temperature is low, so be careful.

Snow tires or all-season tires are pretty much a must if you plan on using the Z as a daily driver in northern winters. I've held off on either because I don't need to drive my car daily this year. But come next fall, I'm getting snow tires.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:16 AM
phreezee

I took the car around the block last night... and wow... at 10km/h in my back lane.. the rear was dancing side to side. I treid to make a turn going about 15km/h it wouldn't steer into the turn... I had to brake to avoid hitting the stop sign.... so scary. 32.5km/h in 3 weeks of ownership
Old 02-08-2003, 05:18 AM
Shift_Speed

thanks for all the replies... i did have the car in high gears and was goin very slow... and some how when i reached a lil elevation in the road my z just did a u turn... i didn't move the steering wheel either... i dunno... it snowed yesterday and i was driving ok... i went up that same hill with ease... so basically i should change my stock rubbers... thanks for your help guys
Old 02-08-2003, 05:52 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default not just the z

BTW: This is not just the Z. It is any car with this configuration

I had a Firebird Formula WS6 w/ a 5 Liter V8, 5 speed stick and RWD. With the Egale GS-C summer tires I could not rive it in even 1/2 inch of snow. It wouldn't go up even a minor incline. And I grew up driving in snow!

Wide sport tires are the main culprit. High HP just makes it worse.

When it was my only car I got 4 mag rims from an old camaro and put 4 studded snows on them. After that it would go through snow no problem. There was still the thrill of "too much throttle and the back end kicks out" but in general is was managable.

If this is your only car and you need to drive it in snow I strongly recomend snow. The reason I used spare rims was to minimize rim damage at each seasonal change over.

AndyB
Old 02-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Intrepid

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=16874