Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sorry newbie here... what do you mean by grinding when you shift???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 02:39 AM
Z350Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry newbie here... what do you mean by grinding when you shift???

Sorry... I am a newbie to the manual transmission... only got to drive my friend's WRX and RAV4 for serveral times only...

I just got the car today and wondering to know what do you guys mean by grinding noise when you change the gear??? I always fully depress the clutch while I change, and somehow I feel that there is a grinding sound when I lift my foot up from the clutch (without depressing the gas padel).... is that the noise? or is that normal at all???

thanks for all the helps everyone!!!

cheers,

richie
Old 02-14-2003, 06:42 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe it is. grinding is when you lift the clutch prematurely, and then put it into gear, you will feel and hear a grind, which is the gears rubbing togehter. it just means you didnt have the clutch out when you actually did the shift.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:58 AM
2003z

or in the case of some of us, it is like the clutch isn't fully engaged when going from 2nd to 3rd, eventhough the clutch is all the way down.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Z350Lover

Mmmmmmmm.... interesting.... thanks everyone!!! but I always make sure that I depress the clutch fully before I move my stick though!!! then only lift my foot up on the clutch when the gera is entirely engaged.... and the car only has around 66km on it!

cheers,

richie
Old 02-15-2003, 11:48 AM
hwj

The grinding some of us here in the US are experiencing seems to be related to colder tempratures of the gear oil. It's summertime for you in Australia, so you may not experience this problem until the weather changes [does it ever get cold where you live?].

Right now, here in Pennsylvania, everything is covered with snow and my Z hasn't been out in weeks. I'm still waiting for better weather to bring it in to the dealer, for them to see the problem first hand. The problem was not apparent from the start since my car was delivered in early September/late summer. I began to notice it in late October when the temps fell into the 40's F [-10's C].

Keep your eyes and ears open, tell your dealer at once if you experience this problem. This has been the only flaw in my car to date.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:44 PM
cpfury

Live in NJ here - got my car in January - hasn't been warm since I've had the car - no grinding at all here - just so people know not EVERY Z has this problem. One complaint tho - when reving in first gear just doesn't seem as smooth as the other gears.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:28 AM
Z350Lover

Thanks guys!

Ture... we never get the snow down here in Melbourne! The lowest it can get will be around 1 or 2 degrees in the early morning during the winter season! I hope we will not have that sort of gearbox problem!!! Will keep you guys posted!

cheers,

richie
Old 02-17-2003, 07:02 AM
hwj

Given that it does get down to just about freezing in Melbourne, be aware that the problem may surface.

Also, I agree: NOT ALL Zs EXPERIENCE THIS PROBLEM and to date [my first posting on this subject in early January] there doesn't appear to be any consistent pattern to the problem.

"Either you have it or you don't" is all I can say so far.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:12 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

I seem to have a few more instances of this... Tell me if this is normal

1. Reving high in first and then going into second: sometimes requires a good amount of effort, or waiting for the gate to let you in. I try not to force it.

2. Revving up and down on 1st and then hitting the clutch produces a clunk/bang sound occasionally. Seems only to happen when its cold.

3. Shifting:

2nd ---> 3rd
4th ---> 5th

Both cases occasionally feel a clunk or two when shifting into the gate.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:00 PM
jackwhale

Look at the long string under 'Technical Forums' entitled "2nd to 3rd upshift grinds when cold" started by HWJ for a full discussion of this topic.