Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How do you remove the third brake light cover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003 | 07:56 PM
DEMOman

Question How do you remove the third brake light cover?

I have an appointment for next Tuesday to have the windows tinted.
The guy loved the car so much (first one in Mountain Home, ID.) that he told me he'd take $50 off what he normally charges just so he can say he's done a new Z car.
I thought that was cool.
We're going with 20% all 'round... even though it's technically illegal here... no one ever gets pulled over for it.

So, anyway... as far as the rear glass is concerned. I just wanted to know how to remove the plastic from around the third brake light so he can tint it.

Does it just pop off?

I also showed him how the windows lower slightly when the door is open.
I'm glad I told him because he even mentioned how if he hadn't noticed there could have been a gap at the bottom.
I grabbed a 6" C-clamp and that works like a champ to hold the door buzzer switch closed (and windows up) while he's working on it.

And while we're at it... what has everyone elses tint guy done on the front windsheild?
Do they remove the rear view mirror or just cut around it.
I'm a little worried about those dots all around the rear view mirror. I don't want them to interfere with the tint.

Thanks in advance,
Old 02-14-2003 | 08:15 PM
vova151

Just want to restate that you don't need to take it off.
Old 02-16-2003 | 08:42 AM
DEMOman

Can you clarify?
Why doesn't it need to be removed? How do they get the film under there without taking it off...
I've tried a search and have come up with nothing.
Old 02-16-2003 | 11:02 AM
vova151

You can do a search by username for vova151 and there is a post on tinting. I have pics and info.
Old 02-16-2003 | 11:22 AM
DEMOman

Will do... thanks for the tip.
Old 02-16-2003 | 06:52 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

yeah, the brake light cover is like a squeegy, it can be pulled down. not nescesarry to take it off, it might be easier for them, but not required.

also, they need to get lower then the window seal even when in the up position. they need to pull that seal away too.

honestly, if theres another tint shop in your area, or maybe someone can reccomend one here for you, your guy seems a little inexperienced.

they cut around the rear view mirror, and the dots shouldnt cause a problem, you might get an air bubble on a 1 or 2, in which case he should fix it for you.
Old 02-16-2003 | 07:31 PM
vova151

I couldn't agree more with ares. Go for experiance. The windows going down a little is nothing new. I would find someone that has a history with luxury cars that have this feature. Don't know about you but I would rather save myself $50 in headaches to have it done right.

My $.03
Old 02-17-2003 | 09:35 AM
DEMOman

Easy for you guys to say! You don't live in "Bumwater", Idaho!

Pickin's are slim around here. The guy doing my windows has been doing tint for 15 years. Or so he says... I looked at several cars in the shop and they all looked very nice.
I', just overly **** about things like this and in my opinion, a little pre-work research, can only help.

I've fiddled with the brake light cover and still can't seem to get it off. I feel like if i pull any harder, I'm going ot break something.
I just want to make it as easy as possible for him to tint it. less chance for a screw up.

I searched and searched, vova... I found a couple threads that talked about removing the brake light, but none that actually said how it was removed.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 02-17-2003 | 09:56 AM
abz123

Haven't done it myself, but I think the whole plastic cover surrounding the window has to be removed before you can get to the brake light cover.
Old 02-17-2003 | 11:00 AM
vova151

None of my post will show how to remove it because you don't have to. It's very flimsy and they just slid the tint under the cover and used the sqweege (sp?) to smooth it down.

And the final result:
Attached Thumbnails How do you remove the third brake light cover?-cornersmm.jpg  
Old 02-17-2003 | 11:01 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic
Premier Member

You can remove that piece of finisher material going across the top. I think it is held by maybe 4 clips. Just pull I think.

Then, there are a handful of screws to get the piece out over the lights.

As for removing the whole door panel to get the side windows, I don't think it is required. I've had tinted windows on probably 6 or 7 cars and trucks over the last 15 years, and have not had any shop have to remove a door panel to get tint, and never had to have any cars that were done right the first time fixed after time.

Not saying it is wrong to do it by removing the doors, on the other hand, it doesn't mean your installer is incompetent if they leave the door panels on.
Old 02-17-2003 | 11:01 AM
vova151

One more
Attached Thumbnails How do you remove the third brake light cover?-breaklightsm.jpg  
Old 02-17-2003 | 02:58 PM
DEMOman

Ok, thanks for the info.
Much of my ignorance stems from the fact that I do not know how tint is applied. I always thought it was sticky. I didn't know they could "slide" it.

Vova, thanks for the pics.