Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Poor Quality Paint Chipping Away on Hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 07:03 AM
03redline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '03 Redline and suffered approximately 12 paint chips on hood and fenders while driving last october. I suspect this was caused by hitting bugs at highway speeds(app.75 m.p.h.). Now I have 2 unexplained chips on the rear hatch cover. I don't follow gravel trucks and don't travel on gravel roads. I am old enough and experienced enough with cars to know this is not acceptable. I am currently working with dealer to see what response we get from NNA. Would like to hear from others with like problem.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:25 PM
joonur

I have a Pikes Peak White Z and have NUMEROUS chips on my front end. My hood is absolutely fine, no chips whatsoever but the front fascia is ridiculous. Dealer told me the same thing, all they would do is sell me touch-up or charge me small amount for them to touch-up. I just doubt they will do as good of a job as I will. Frustrating to have a car less than a year old with the front-end looking dirty because of all the tiny chips. Can't count them! Have used the Nissan bra much of the time from the beginning but when car is dirty or raining I remove it so as not to damage the paint further. Please let me know if you find satisfaction with a dealer or NNA. Thanks! joonur@hotmail.com
Old 02-29-2004, 09:13 PM
s9am_me

i have about 3 noticeable chips on the front and just found a new one at the rear... paint seems really soft to begin with... even my fingernail (light pressure) creates a deep scratch (tested it it under the car) probably gonna try some touch up paint... but i fear its gonna look worse
Old 02-29-2004, 10:55 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: What to do... what to do???

Originally posted by Sanderman
My only advice is to adjust to reality. All new cars use water based acrylic paints now due to new environmental regulations. These acrylic paints are far less durable and more chip prone than older oil based paints. Your old Honda had oil based paint so it was more chip resisitant. My old 300 twin turbo did as well so it was chip resistant too. My new 350 and PT Cruiser chip like mad. Blame the government and the environmentalists - not Nissan.

The olny way to really deal with this is to get a clear bra.

joe
Im surprised someone else here knows about this!

The EPA had pressured all car manufacturers that sell cars in the US to switch over to waterbased paints to reduce airborne VOC emmisions, since even after a cars paint dries the vapors from the paint curing will be released for weeks afterwards. These VOCs were the largest single source of air pollution generated from car factories.

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/es/etb/cetc/c..._paints_e.html

Its definitly not just you guys, I go to MANY of the major car forums and they have all been complaining about the paint. Search on Audiworld and Bimmerforums for similar problems. In time they will certainly refine the process, but for now we will all have aotumotive paint that is much weaker than in the past.

If anyone has any questions about paint protection film feel free to drop us a line!
Jeremy
Invisiguard@sbcglobal.net
Old 03-19-2004, 07:51 AM
03redline

Dealer says NNA won't do anything for chipped paint. Says to contact NNA myself, also says that NNA listens to the numbers of people complaining. Please post if you are having this problem and call NNA to let them know. Dealer also suggested emailing pictures of chips to NNA. NNA is replacing my front tires but that is another subject. This paint should not chip this easily,BUGS, and NNA needs to tend to this problem.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:19 PM
desiree27

This is incredibly frustrating. I just got back in from washing my Z and I wanted to scream when I noticed all these little areas with missing paint, let me elaborate. My car is red, and it literally looks like tiny pieces of paint came off and now a white area is exposed, its very disgustingly obvious.

I owned a Honda Accord before this, three years of sitting in the sun and rain and that cars paint looked nearly show room new. Here I am with a new Z, that sits in a garage, is washed and waxed by hand, and it looks like a 5 year old car with a crappy paint job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is simply a slap in the face to all Z owners to have to deal with this and get no help what so ever from NNA.

To those who arent experiencing this issue, count your blessings.

Why NNA wont deal with this is beyond me, anyone who approaches my car to take a look can immediatly see something is very wrong with the paint, anyone who asks me how I like my Z will get an earful.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:00 AM
scream z

I had the same problems with me red 350z also. I can feel your frustration. I followed the steps in owners and went through the BBB, I'm sure I'm one of the few. but they made Nissan buy my car back. I lost 5,000.00 in the process though. Now I have G35 coupe with same problem. The key to your complaint is gonna be orange peel, if your car has is noticable. They wouldn't do anything about the chips, which is crazy.
Good luck,
scream z
Old 03-21-2004, 05:08 AM
desiree27

I think the folks who lease their Z as I do are in for a major issue in regard to the paint. At the rate that the paint is deterioting on my car by the time the inspector comes to check it out for turn in (2 years from now) I will be liable for a whole new paint job.

I have leased cars before and know the process well, I know what will pass and what wont.

I dont know how to convey to the leasing company that this is a defect in the car's paint. Im thinking of taking the car to numerous paint shops to get professional opinions and perhaps get it in writing to submit to the leasing agency.

Its just so upsetting when you take such good care of your car, especially when your busting your behind washing and waxing and all you see is these little white paint chips..........ahhhh its crushing.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:35 PM
baileygirl_25

Default Re: Poor Quality Paint Chipping Away on Hood

Originally posted by KeepRT
All owners please check your bumber & hoods!! I have counted 19 chips or flakes ranging from less than a pinhead in size up to a sharpie marker tip. I am exremely pi$$ed!! I contacted the service manager at my Nissan dealership and he said the only bulletin he has seen about the paint is that it was blistering or bubbling and the cure for that was prolonged exposure to the sun @ high temperatures. He said he is aware that the paint would chip at speeds in excess of 60mph and that was caused by debrise and would not be covered. Not wanting to go through the hastle of arguing with the dealership in what would end up in NNA's hands anyway I called NNA this afternoon who told me that I had to go through the dealership before I could escalate the claim.

First of all is anyone else experiencing the same problem? If so please post your response & contact me @ eheidl@aol.com so we can exchange information. I will be getting letters from several body shops confirming that the paint should not chip that easily. I can't understand how I drove a Red Civic Si with a 4" drop (so basically the same profile) & only had one rock chip in 3 years. And the chip was very obviously just that. I am not so sure that the what I call chips weren't actually paint blisters at some point that were knocked off during washing. I am actually considering getting rid of the car because I am growing too concerned with all the problems. I read the results of the survey regarding issues that other owners have & must have answered yes to over 80% of them.

Someone, anyone please help!! There are only two solutions to my problem, either NNA says that is normal & I say give me money back because if I am going to spend 35k on a car I don't want such a $hi^^y paint job

or

They admit that there is a problem and fix it.

I have been told that other companies such as Mazda with regard to the Miata have actually admitted there was a problem & repainted hoods in the past.

PLEASE HELP : )
I am having the same problem with paint chipping, but have done nothing about it yet. I'm just glad that my Z is silver, so you can't tell unless you are up close.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:03 PM
rokhal

Have same issues with my Silverstone Z. I assumed it was the 80 highway miles a day I travel along with the low front on the car. I have countless small knicks in the front bumber cover and a few in the forward part of the hood. Even backing off a couple hundred yards from the trucks on the turnpike here don't seem to help stop the paint damage from pebbles and sand. I am sorry I did not visit forums like this b4 I bought my Z, otherwise I would have gotten one of those clear paint protective films installed the second I took delivery of the car.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:21 PM
03redline

NNA says it makes no difference if rocks or bugs cause the paint to chip, both are the same to them, they will not cover it. VERY aggravating to have a 10 month old car that looks worse than my '92 Accord. Very disappointed in Nissan, thought they were a quality company.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:02 PM
krinkov

Originally posted by 03redline
NNA says it makes no difference if rocks or bugs cause the paint to chip, both are the same to them, they will not cover it. VERY aggravating to have a 10 month old car that looks worse than my '92 Accord. Very disappointed in Nissan, thought they were a quality company.
If you read a few posts above your own you will see that the new water based paints are much softer than the older solvent based paints and this is no fault of Nissans, ever car manufacturer is having the same problems. Search on Bimmerfest.com or Audiworld.com for 'paint chips" for the same complaints of cars made in the last few years.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:42 PM
zeroday

well here's my 2 cents...when i bought my z (new) the dealer had scraped the front bumper during prep. I had them repaint the entire bumper at a reputable body shop. I now have 5k miles on my car and I have exactly one pinhead sized chip on my bumper. I assume they used the new water based acrylic...but I don't seem to have the same problem others here do. Draw your own conclusions. Maybe i'm just good at dodging rocks.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:45 PM
krinkov

Originally posted by zeroday
well here's my 2 cents...when i bought my z (new) the dealer had scraped the front bumper during prep. I had them repaint the entire bumper at a reputable body shop. I now have 5k miles on my car and I have exactly one pinhead sized chip on my bumper. I assume they used the new water based acrylic...but I don't seem to have the same problem others here do. Draw your own conclusions. Maybe i'm just good at dodging rocks.
nope, just the oposite. Body shops here still use solvent based urethanes(though they are trying to change that here in Cali, but not yet!) So your situation makes perfect sense
Old 05-17-2004, 07:31 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by krinkov
nope, just the oposite. Body shops here still use solvent based urethanes(though they are trying to change that here in Cali, but not yet!) So your situation makes perfect sense
hmmm...so maybe instead of shelling out all that $$ for clear bra people should just get the hood/bumper re-painted at a good body shop and be done with it? I know that sounds a bit rediculous but the cost is about the same and you won't have razor marks or the seam lines..??
Old 05-17-2004, 08:05 AM
krinkov

Originally posted by zeroday
hmmm...so maybe instead of shelling out all that $$ for clear bra people should just get the hood/bumper re-painted at a good body shop and be done with it? I know that sounds a bit rediculous but the cost is about the same and you won't have razor marks or the seam lines..??
heh, yeah that would acctually help a bit, although it would likely cost you about 2-3 times as much as a clearbra to get a decent paint job(unless you like macco ) and urethane paint still isnt majic, go walk around a parking lot and look at the front ends of cars made 5-10 years ago, they will still get pretty beat up, just not so quickly.

On the other hand, I know a couple people here that had there 350s repainted because they were sick of the orange peel and mismatched finish, so maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea
Old 05-17-2004, 09:11 AM
shortcut3d

I had my hood and rear bumper repainted. My front bumper is holding up really well. The body shop was honest and told me to hold out on repainting the front until I was confident that their paint was not chipping as fast as the Nissan paint. Of course, I regret not having the front bumper repainted because so far (knock on wood) the body shop paint is holding up better.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:10 PM
ahagist

Had my Z for about 3 months, with 4k miles. I have more chips than I can count. I have them all over the front bumper, a few on the hood, about 4 on the roof, and even some on the rear and the doors. It reminds me of my face in high school! WTF?? I wax the crap out of it on the weekends, and I dont tailgate, and get the hell out of the way for trucks and such. What should I do about this, can I just go to the dealer and have them inspect the paint as well? My old neon looked better than this and it was 6 years old. I love this car but the longer I have it the more I feel like its kinda cheap. Oh and is the Shifter suppose to vibrate constantly and move just a little bit as you accelerate?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:12 PM
baileygirl_25

Default chipping paint

I was told that I should have had a clear coat put on it as soon as I bought it. I stupidly declined it. As for the vibrating shifter, there was a service bulletin put out that all Z's need to have the toe alignment checked out, b/c the specs were supposedly all wrong when manufactured. This cause my shifter to vibrate, as well as the rest of the car when driving, and the dealership replaced my front tires for free. The misaligned toe cause my tires to wear unevenly, causing the vibrations. New tires have stopped that completely.

Originally posted by ahagist
Had my Z for about 3 months, with 4k miles. I have more chips than I can count. I have them all over the front bumper, a few on the hood, about 4 on the roof, and even some on the rear and the doors. It reminds me of my face in high school! WTF?? I wax the crap out of it on the weekends, and I dont tailgate, and get the hell out of the way for trucks and such. What should I do about this, can I just go to the dealer and have them inspect the paint as well? My old neon looked better than this and it was 6 years old. I love this car but the longer I have it the more I feel like its kinda cheap. Oh and is the Shifter suppose to vibrate constantly and move just a little bit as you accelerate?
Old 06-25-2004, 04:24 AM
03redline

I don't believe the "new" paint theory because the other make cars I see in parking lots are not nicked as is my Nissan and I baby my car. Park in the furthest reaches of parking lots, don't go down gravel roads, etc. Just got back from vacation trip with the 350z and have to get out the touch-up paint again. Never had to do this with any other car and no of NO ONE else doing this with other makes of new car. This is a problem only with Nissan from what my personal experience shows me.