Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car pulling to the right fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Art Vandaleigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car pulling to the right fix?

I've been having this problem since i bought my car but never had the guts to leave my car in the dealers hands for an extended period of time. I've also tried searching a bit but have not come up with anything decent, search is being a PITA today. Anyway my 05 has been slightly drifting to the right since i purchased it back in feb 05, and i've about had it with the constant annoyance. I also may purchase the nismo suspension soon, so i would like to have it resolved before that is installed.

Basically the first time i went to the dealer, they tried to diagnose it has a tire pressure issue or extreme crowns in the road... but it pulls no matter if the road has a crown or flat. I tried to live with it for about a year, but it has been getting on my nerves. Also recently i had my alignment checked and it was severely out of spec, they put it back into spec but oddly the right front suspension could not be adjusted into the proper range no matter how much they tried. I'm just a bit learly having the dealer tear apart my car and whatnot after hearing some horror stories, but i may have to. I know many have had this problem before, so has anyone actually had this corrected, and how so? I recall there being a fix for a compression rod but i'm not sure it dealt with 05 model cars. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:11 PM
IronMedic

yeah i had the same problem. i thought it was my alignment. my local shop said my specs were in limits and no adjustments were needed. i dont know whats up either!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:33 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Does it drift to the right on straight flat roads at highway speeds? If so...even though it's an '05 sounds like you need the new tapered sleeve fitting & compression rod.
Take into the dealer.TSB# 03046 This bulletin came out on 9-16-04...so it could involve some '05 models. lol
Old 06-20-2006, 06:54 PM
FloridaZman

I have experienced the same constant pull to the right since the day I bought my 05 Silverstone Anniversary on memorial day last year. I took it back at 2500 miles and the dealer replaced the right front tire stating it had a radial pull. When I got it back, it was much better and pulled only slightly to the right. It has gotten worse since and seems to fluctuate with the outside temperature in how much it pulls. It it not very noticable in cool or colder weather, but now that the temperatures have risen for the summer in Florida, its much worse. I have noticed the tire pressure in the tires fluctuate as well. I can set them all to the exact PSI when the car has been sitting idle and the pulling seems to be less noticable when the tires are cold. After driving it and heating up the tires, the right rear always rises 2 to 3 PSI higher than the the others and the pull gets stronger. If I adjust the air to bring it back down to the PSI of the other three tires, the pull fades until continued driving causes the same tire PSI to rise again and the pulling returns. It's as though something is causing that tire to heat up more than the others and exagerates the problem.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Ztalker

i would flip the tires over and rotate them from left to right if they are directional tires. My wife's Armada pulled to the right from day one, the dealer gave me the BS saying it was supposed to be like that due to the pavement. i went home and swapped the right front tire with the left front tire and solved the problem. Radial pull is more common than you think with new tires nowadays.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:58 PM
boma

Compression Rod!!! ARg. Too late to get that done on my '03 without selling $$$. Stupid Z.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:19 AM
350z300zxtt

I have an 06 and it is about 1 1/2 months old, Mine pulled to the right since I first picked it up, it was back in the second day I owned it and they said the alignment was out, and they put it back in spec, ALTHOUGH the pulling did NOT STOP, sooooo I took it back in 5 days later, this time they said the steering was out of center, and that they fixed the problem, the problem was now more vague, BUT still slightly present, and I have access to an airport runway so i put the car on cruise control at 45mph, and headed straight down the PERFECTLY FLAT runway, and she slowly inched her way all the way to the right side. So I went back to my dealership and the service manager had the nerve to say to me that they have already had the car in twice and the alignment and all other specs are set correctly and they WILL NOT service my vehicle for this problem. So I politely controlled my temper and said to him that my car is still under the factory BUMPER-to-BUMPER warranty and "I THE OWNER OF THE VEHICLE" feel there is still a problem and would like it looked into further, he then proceeded to tell me that he will not take it back in so that I cant claim lemon law. I am currently waiting on a response from nissan customer relations on this topic as they confirmed for me that under the full warranty they cannot refuse service to me, at the LEAST they have to take the car in and return it to me with a work order stating the problem could not be duplicated when tested. Oh yeah he also tried to tell me that my injen CAI voided all sections of my warranty and Nissan themselves said that it does not.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:46 AM
boma

stick with it man. good luck. dont give up.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Leslie

Originally Posted by 350z300zxtt
I have an 06 and it is about 1 1/2 months old, Mine pulled to the right since I first picked it up, it was back in the second day I owned it and they said the alignment was out, and they put it back in spec, ALTHOUGH the pulling did NOT STOP, sooooo I took it back in 5 days later, this time they said the steering was out of center, and that they fixed the problem, the problem was now more vague, BUT still slightly present.
Had the same problem like that on our Z, they would align it and such, but you could ever so slightly still feel it pull. Dont exactly know what caused it but after we switched out the oem wheels, tires and suspension(I know not the most economical fix, hubby didnt like idea at all) . But It was like night and day, no drift, handles a 100 times better and now? almost a year later still no pull, still drives like its on rails.

Another option one could choose to go with.

Last edited by Leslie; 06-21-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Art Vandaleigh

Yes i may bring the TSB number for that compression rod to the dealer and see what they say. I wonder if the nismo suspension will fix this all together, or is the compression rod another peice of the suspension? I dont have the cash to swap out the tires at this point seeing as they have about half the tread left.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Desimale

Yeah mine heavily pulls to the right, if I take my hand of the wheel on the hwy I change lanes in like 4 sec.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:06 AM
arejohn

What does the modified compression rod change?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by Desimale
Yeah mine heavily pulls to the right, if I take my hand of the wheel on the hwy I change lanes in like 4 sec.

i'd rotate the tires first and do a four wheel alignment. Pulling to one side or the other ain't normal.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:25 AM
cruddydude

Same problem here... My '05 drifts slowly to the right, even on flat roads. I had the alignment checked (at my own expense), but it was fine. I've been tolerating the problem for the last year and a half.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:54 PM
arejohn

Nissan considers drift as changing lanes at 60mph in 7sec. (about 600ft.) on road with less than 1% crown.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:26 PM
cruddydude

Originally Posted by arejohn
Nissan considers drift as changing lanes at 60mph in 7sec. (about 600ft.) on road with less than 1% crown.
I saw that in the TSB. Mine takes a bit longer, maybe 10-12 seconds at 60, which is one of the reasons I've been hesitant to take it in.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:48 PM
boma

I changed the wheels and it still drifts. My 03 VW didn't drift at all when I sold it with 25K miles.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:35 PM
ZedNewbie

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=12

Apparently this is a more common problem than a lot of people think.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:22 AM
brigz

I thought this would be a simple alignment fix
Old 06-22-2006, 04:40 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The modified compression arm changes the caster on the right front wheel. This makes the car track straighter, but you MAY find after the fix that the car doesn't seem to take right-hand corners quite as easily as it does left-hand ones.

Quick Reply: Car pulling to the right fix?