Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Anyone Clean their MAF (mass air flow sensor)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:51 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

dont need a special cleaner to do this, working at a shop that did mostly emissions work(we did other stuff we where just right down the street from the echeck station so they directed most people to us.) we just used brake cleaner and if it was really bad a small screw driver. just be sure to hold the can about 6 inchs from the element and use one of the plastic tubes they come with so its not a huge mess.(6 inchs from the end of the tube of course ). if you do need a screwdriver then it needs to be very very light, as in barely touching the element to scrape it clean. did this alot to pass cars that where barely failing emissions, 10 mins work hour charge flatrate. everyone was happy only paying 70 bucks vs 70 bucks+price of part which sometimes hit as high as 600.

brake clean is great since it will dissolve the gunk on there, wash it away, and the maf is dry in like 30 seconds max.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:55 PM
04DaytonaZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
dont need a special cleaner to do this, working at a shop that did mostly emissions work(we did other stuff we where just right down the street from the echeck station so they directed most people to us.) we just used brake cleaner and if it was really bad a small screw driver. just be sure to hold the can about 6 inchs from the element and use one of the plastic tubes they come with so its not a huge mess.(6 inchs from the end of the tube of course ). if you do need a screwdriver then it needs to be very very light, as in barely touching the element to scrape it clean. did this alot to pass cars that where barely failing emissions, 10 mins work hour charge flatrate. everyone was happy only paying 70 bucks vs 70 bucks+price of part which sometimes hit as high as 600.

brake clean is great since it will dissolve the gunk on there, wash it away, and the maf is dry in like 30 seconds max.
Do not use brake cleaner on the element of a Mass Airflow Sensor. It is extremely harmful and will corrode the element with enough use. The MAF Cleaner not only leaves no residue, which could interfere with accurate readings, but also is not corrosive enough to damage the elements used by manufactures.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 PM
hyuk28719

Don't try to use brake cleaner on electronic parts. There is electronic part cleaner for a reason..
Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 PM
jerryd87

ive done this on hundreds of maf sensors and NEVER had a problem and i guarantee you take your car to a shop they WILL grab a can of brake or carb cleaner ive not been to a shop that even used "electronic parts" cleaner. dealership is the same way i know since they get all there cleaning supplys from parts dept and ive worked in several dealerships parts dept as either a driver/part time parts salesman or full time parts salesman.

also the ONLY brake cleaner ive ever encountered that leaves a residue is the advanced auto house brand stuff no idea whats in it but i had to hot tank my heads when i used it porting a set of small block chevy heads because it left a oily film. definately wouldnt use it on brakes since oily film on brake parts is a no no. all the rest of them ive encountered the brake cleaner and carb cleaner where the same thing.

your going to have a hard time damaging anything with normal brake or carb cleaner unless your filling a bucket and dumping it in since it takes about 20 mins of constant exposure to start eating anything and brake or carb cleaner evaporates in seconds. thats like telling someone "dont run e85 because it will eat your plastic fuel lines!" uhhhhh yah sure it will after about 10 years, but then again gas will do it in about 12 which is why everything is nylon now. if your cleaning your maf so much that you damage it using brake cleaner you have a different problem and its def not the maf. unless of course you get too close or scrape it too hard but that can be done with any cleaner.

btw go look at the msds the active ingredient in both brakleen(crc's brake clean) and lectra-motive are the same thing. the brakleen has a little bit of petroleum distillates added, the tetrachloroethylene is just as corrosive as the petroleum distillates though. stick a piece of plastic in a heavy duty cup of both outside and bet you will find the melt about the same speed. basically they are charging you triple the price for pretty much the same thing as you can find brake clean that is 95% tetrachloroethylene for 3-4 bucks a can which is the exact same thing as the lectra-motive.

my bad ops link is broken i see the product you guys are talking about now, eh even still considering everyone has been using brake clean,carb cleaner, the overpriced lectra-motive since mafs have come out with zero issues i hold my stance. no need for over priced crap when there was zero problems using the other stuff, and if its safe for the 02 sensors which they say they are right on the can the maf will be fine since the elements inside the 02's are just as sensitive mayby even more so hence the heavy cage around them.

Last edited by jerryd87; 03-31-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:20 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The problem with brake cleaner is that it sprays a stream of liquid. MAF cleaner sprays a light cloud of mist. Too much liquid impinging on the delicate wire element inside the MAF assembly can break it. You know what it means if that happens
Old 04-01-2012, 03:28 PM
jerryd87

yah thats why they def need to hold it so the end o the hose is about 6 inchs away from the element. just a couple quick like half second sprays should clean all but the dirtiest elements. not sure how strong the spray is on this stuff since like i said ive never seen a shop use it be it one ive worked at or visited, but if you have to touch the element with anything its just as risky.

was just trying to share my experience, hate it when people buy overpriced junk when they can do the same thing, just as good for alot cheaper. i simply take it for granted that people would be careful, not just grand a can hold it right up to the element and douse it with brake cleaner. thats the type of thing i would expect from the honda crowd
Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 AM
04DaytonaZee

Do not use brake cleaner on a Mass Airflow Sensor. Period.
It is inappropriate to be distributing this false sense of security for using brake cleaner as an acceptable delicate parts cleaner. While brake cleaner may "work fine" for some people, exposing the element to brake cleaner carries a high amount of risk with it. MAF cleaner is as expensive as any other over-the-counter parts cleaner.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 PM
jerryd87

ok dude funny how all electronics are considered "sensitive" yet the cleaner is the exact same thing per the msds they have the same content. maf cleaner might be a different formula, but it is also a newer product introduced 15+ years AFTER maf sensors existed and had been cleaned with other products. the ONLY reason the maf sensor spray exists is because some guys sat in a room and said. "ok our job is to make products to make more money what can we come up with." so they came out with a $10 product to do the same exact thing people have been using a $3 product for, for years.

sorry but im just putting the truth out there like i said go to ANY shop, sure if you ask them if they use brake cleaner or maf cleaner the will say maf cleaner. but if you go on there shelf there will not be a single can of it, also if you simply ask them what they use they will say "parts cleaner" which is brake clean or carb clean. the product only exists to make money off those foolish enough to not know the effects on parts and that is there is no effect. you have to be pretty fail to damage a maf cleaning it since a little common sense goes a long way. again sorry but anyone saying "never do that omg your dumb!" has never worked professionally in a shop like i have because thats exactly what is done.

Last edited by jerryd87; 04-02-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM
j3tt2

Originally Posted by P3rcoc3T
Well... I am a idiot ... I had installed a new filter, piping and I ended up putting the sensor backwards so it was getting no air flow. Fixed the codes. Car runs wayyy better. Cleaning with crc works wonders.
lmao i did the same thing!! noob problems i guess
Old 08-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Knuckles256

Default Directions that I found

How to Clean MAF Sensor
The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor in your car engine is one of those components that remain hidden from sight, tend to be ignored during the course of a normal servicing procedure, and yet play an integral part in ensuring that your vehicle performs optimally. The MAF sensor is responsible for determining the volume of air that is being sucked into the car engine. When it becomes dirty, mostly from microscopic pollen particles and soot, it causes the gearbox to malfunction, error codes being thrown up, and loss of the fourth gear. So, when you notice a drop in gas mileage or your car riding less smoothly, you can be almost certain that you will need to clean MAF sensor.
Removing the Sensor
To clean MAF sensor, you will need isopropyl alcohol in 70/30 proportion and a zip lock bag. You might also need a large crosshead or a flat blade screwdriver (depending on the model of your car) to remove the MAF sensor. The sensor will be found tucked away inside the air inlet trunk. To clean MAF sensor, remove it completely from the box taking extra care as you detach the hoses attached to it. Handle the sensor carefully because its internal wires are very fragile and may break if you accidentally drop it on some hard surface (such as your garage’s) or knock it against any object. Remove any bolts attached to it before you embark on your task to clean MAF sensor.
Cleaning this Car Part
Now put the sensor inside the zip lock bag and douse it with the contents of a full bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Then gently swish the bag to ensure the alcohol gets into every hole and crack of the sensor. Keep the sensor seated in the alcohol for about 20 minutes or till you are absolutely sure that all parts of it are thoroughly clean. Afterwards, take out the sensor and place it on a dry piece of clean cloth. After you clean MAF sensor and before you reinstall it, you must ensure that this engine part is absolutely dry. If it is not, water and/or alcohol can seep into other parts of the engine and wreak havoc with other sensitive vehicle components.
Another Method
There is another way to clean MAF sensor. You can use a brake or carb cleaner on the wires of the sensor. Just squirt a few drops of the cleaner on these surfaces and before long, the wires will look squeaky clean. The cleaner of course, evaporates. Make sure it is dry nonetheless before installing this sensor back into your car.
Lubrication
When you clean MAF sensor and before you reinstall it, also squirt some drops of oil on the rubber O-ring, just to ensure that the component can function smoothly and without creaking and groaning.
Attention to Detail
So, now that you know how easy it is to clean MAF sensor, make it a point to once in a while open the hood and peer inside to check that it is free from dirt and grime.