Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sluggish Response

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 AM
4mula1 Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sluggish Response

My 06Z has all of a sudden started responding strangely. No matter what gear, if I "step on it" the revs shoot up, then back down, and the engine sounds like it is trying to catch up to the revs, and I have no acceleration power at all. This is the best way I can describe it. Almost like the feeling of when my air filter was covered by a plastic shopping bag, and no air was getting to the engine. Someone told me all I needed to do was clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:11 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles are on it? But yea, a lot of times cars do this and you can clean the MAF sensor. Also, maybe you should look into doing a tune-up soon?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 4mula1 Z
My 06Z has all of a sudden started responding strangely. No matter what gear, if I "step on it" the revs shoot up, then back down, and the engine sounds like it is trying to catch up to the revs, and I have no acceleration power at all. This is the best way I can describe it. Almost like the feeling of when my air filter was covered by a plastic shopping bag, and no air was getting to the engine. Someone told me all I needed to do was clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
6MT?
Slipping clutch?
Mileage?
Ever replaced the clutch?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
4mula1 Z

Originally Posted by bmccann101
6MT?
Slipping clutch?
Mileage?
Ever replaced the clutch?
Sorry, I guess I should have provided more info. 63k miles, clutch pedal feels fine (nice and firm), I have not replaced the clutch. As per above reply, I guess I'll give the MAF cleaning a try and tune up.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:01 AM
mdztuners

might want to try replacing your air filters or if you have the K&Ns, clean and re-oil them
Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 AM
techtalk

Sorry, I guess I should have provided more info. 63k miles, clutch pedal feels fine (nice and firm), I have not replaced the clutch. As per above reply, I guess I'll give the MAF cleaning a try and tune up.
4mula,

If you need help cleaning your MAF sensor, I just cleaned my MAF sensor on my '03 and I followed the directions provided by CRC (the company that manufactured the MAF sensor cleaning agent I used):

1. With the engine off and cool, locate your MAF between the air box and throttle body. On our 350z, it is ref # 22680X in this air cleaner diagram

2. Unplug the MAF wire harness and then remove the housing. (Typically a screwdriver will work or you may need a T-20 TORX® Security bit.)

3. Place a shop towel or rag under the MAF housing to catch any run-off. With straw attached to nozzle, apply 10-15 sprays of CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner onto the hot wires or hot plate and thermistor inside the housing making sure all sides, wires and connectors are also cleaned.

4. Reassemble the MAF and allow to thoroughly dry before reactivating.

5. For optimum performance, clean the MAF sensor every time the air filter is cleaned or replaced.

All in all, it's about 20-30 minutes of labour. Not too bad for a quick fix
Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 AM
4mula1 Z

Originally Posted by techtalk
4mula,

If you need help cleaning your MAF sensor, I just cleaned my MAF sensor on my '03 and I followed the directions provided by CRC (the company that manufactured the MAF sensor cleaning agent I used):

1. With the engine off and cool, locate your MAF between the air box and throttle body. On our 350z, it is ref # 22680X in this air cleaner diagram

2. Unplug the MAF wire harness and then remove the housing. (Typically a screwdriver will work or you may need a T-20 TORX® Security bit.)

3. Place a shop towel or rag under the MAF housing to catch any run-off. With straw attached to nozzle, apply 10-15 sprays of CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner onto the hot wires or hot plate and thermistor inside the housing making sure all sides, wires and connectors are also cleaned.

5. For optimum performance, clean the MAF sensor every time the air filter is cleaned or replaced.

Excellent, thanks for the tip. I actually bought the CRC cleaner. Just a little intimidated about doing it myself. But, maybe I'll give it a try because this non-acceleration is bugging the heck out of me.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 AM
4mula1 Z

Originally Posted by techtalk
4mula,

Curious, were you having sluggish performance before you cleaned it? And, in either case, did you notice an improvement after cleaning it?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:32 AM
4mula1 Z

Default No Help

Well, I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body. Still performs with the high rev response then RPMs lower and engine catches back up. I guess it is off to Nissan dealer, see if they can determine the cause.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Itzcashew

Well, I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body. Still performs with the high rev response then RPMs lower and engine catches back up. I guess it is off to Nissan dealer, see if they can determine the cause.
Put the hand brake on. Slip it into 3rd and slowly let off the clutch. If the car doesnt die the clutch is gone.

Also check the fluid level in the cmc and see if there been any leak.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM
caaraa
Banned

That is good.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:50 AM
4mula1 Z

Originally Posted by Itzcashew
Put the hand brake on. Slip it into 3rd and slowly let off the clutch. If the car doesnt die the clutch is gone.

Also check the fluid level in the cmc and see if there been any leak.
I will try this, thanks. BTW, CMC level?

Last edited by 4mula1 Z; 08-05-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 AM
NissanZ03

Recently add some sort of ghetto cone filter without a heat shield?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 AM
4mula1 Z

Originally Posted by NissanZ03
Recently add some sort of ghetto cone filter without a heat shield?
Nope.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:57 AM
ncis350z

did you get your car fixed i have the same problem and cant fix it .
Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 AM
4mula1 Z

Originally Posted by ncis350z
did you get your car fixed i have the same problem and cant fix it .
Took it to Nissan. It is the clutch. It is there now getting fixed.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 PM
ncis350z

ok thanks . let me know if that fixes it . i have the same thing and the clutch did not fix it.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 AM
4mula1 Z

Originally Posted by ncis350z
ok thanks . let me know if that fixes it . i have the same thing and the clutch did not fix it.
Yes, new clutch fixed it. Have you tried any thing else to resolve yours?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Knuckles256

Default Article on cleaning MAF Sensor

How to Clean MAF Sensor
The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor in your car engine is one of those components that remain hidden from sight, tend to be ignored during the course of a normal servicing procedure, and yet play an integral part in ensuring that your vehicle performs optimally. The MAF sensor is responsible for determining the volume of air that is being sucked into the car engine. When it becomes dirty, mostly from microscopic pollen particles and soot, it causes the gearbox to malfunction, error codes being thrown up, and loss of the fourth gear. So, when you notice a drop in gas mileage or your car riding less smoothly, you can be almost certain that you will need to clean MAF sensor.
Removing the Sensor
To clean MAF sensor, you will need isopropyl alcohol in 70/30 proportion and a zip lock bag. You might also need a large crosshead or a flat blade screwdriver (depending on the model of your car) to remove the MAF sensor. The sensor will be found tucked away inside the air inlet trunk. To clean MAF sensor, remove it completely from the box taking extra care as you detach the hoses attached to it. Handle the sensor carefully because its internal wires are very fragile and may break if you accidentally drop it on some hard surface (such as your garage’s) or knock it against any object. Remove any bolts attached to it before you embark on your task to clean MAF sensor.
Cleaning this Car Part
Now put the sensor inside the zip lock bag and douse it with the contents of a full bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Then gently swish the bag to ensure the alcohol gets into every hole and crack of the sensor. Keep the sensor seated in the alcohol for about 20 minutes or till you are absolutely sure that all parts of it are thoroughly clean. Afterwards, take out the sensor and place it on a dry piece of clean cloth. After you clean MAF sensor and before you reinstall it, you must ensure that this engine part is absolutely dry. If it is not, water and/or alcohol can seep into other parts of the engine and wreak havoc with other sensitive vehicle components.
Another Method
There is another way to clean MAF sensor. You can use a brake or carb cleaner on the wires of the sensor. Just squirt a few drops of the cleaner on these surfaces and before long, the wires will look squeaky clean. The cleaner of course, evaporates. Make sure it is dry nonetheless before installing this sensor back into your car.
Lubrication
When you clean MAF sensor and before you reinstall it, also squirt some drops of oil on the rubber O-ring, just to ensure that the component can function smoothly and without creaking and groaning.
Attention to Detail
So, now that you know how easy it is to clean MAF sensor, make it a point to once in a while open the hood and peer inside to check that it is free from dirt and grime.