Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Help My DASH STOPPED Working!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 11:16 AM
qirex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help My DASH STOPPED Working!

Well, I went outto my car yesterday. I was kinda groggy from a tuff night on call. I turned the car on, finsihed my phone call and was about to start herup again - as the rev said "0". Upon closer inspection, I could feel (see) the shifter vibrating. The BRAKE, VDC, SLIP, LOW TIRE monitor and ABS lights were ALL on and the tire monitors wer offline. I tried warming the car up and turning her off on to no avail.

Lucky for me I dropped by the dealer and had them look at it. AT first they were telling me that the problem went away - but mid sentence the tech busts in and sez its going on again.

Either way - it seems that the NAV install may have something to do with it, They got the installers there and are still working. I had my car there overnight and STILL they cant figure it out.

I think that its got to do with the speed sensor as computers all need to see the vehicle speed to do anything. Interestingly, even though the car ran...the HIDs fired on/off intermittently, the dash illumination was offline and the VDC was OFFLINE as I could spin dem tires!!

I'm so happy that I let the dealer install my NAV option. I can already see the crap btw a private installer saying its not his prob and a dealer voiding the warrantee. Ultimatel, I dont know what the problem is yet, but word to the wise...be careful installing stuff that involves messing with the Zs computer!!
Old 02-25-2003, 06:45 PM
rouxeny

Hmm, keep us updated. It sounds like something shorted out.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:16 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

What Nav did you have the dealer install? Was it the factory Nav or some other kind?
Old 02-26-2003, 02:27 PM
qirex

well I got the car back today....everything was fine except that they (the autosound guys contracted by the dealer) forgot to hook up the external speaker...GRRRR.

Bonz, the nav is an alpine unit c an alpine 6.5" screen.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:06 PM
abz123

Hmmmm. Why would not hooking up external speakers make you dash not work? That makes little sense. Anyone?

Well, anyways...I glad it was an easy solution and you got your Z back.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:03 PM
qirex

no there was a loose ground or something...

However, when they put the dash back - they forgot top hook up the external nav speaker - so now I have to go back...