Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

To those who've cleaned your window motor, any rattle issues??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Jcolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To those who've cleaned your window motor, any rattle issues??

Did your window make any rattling noises prior to cleaning the motor? The reason I ask is my motor has been acting up and I'm planning on taking apart the door to fix it (as per the most excellent thread describing this procedure) however my window is now rattling when it goes up or down.

Another thread stated that the dealer told him the problem was caused by his window tint. I've got tint as well and wanted to know if I'm wasting my time fixing my motor if my window is gonna continue to rattle.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:02 PM
jeffw

This probably isn't the problem that you're having, but one time I took my car in under warranty to have the motor replaced, the mechanic forgot to connect the cable for the door lock mechanical switch. This made an annoying rattle until I took the door apart to reconnect it.

I guess even if your mechanical door lock works, it could still be that cable. My cable was covered with foam to keep it from making rattle sounds. Maybe the foam fell off?

I'm sure there are plenty of other things that could be rattling like the wiring harness for the switches and the cables for the window regulator.

Good luck tracking it down.
--
Jeff
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by jeffw
This probably isn't the problem that you're having, but one time I took my car in under warranty to have the motor replaced, the mechanic forgot to connect the cable for the door lock mechanical switch. This made an annoying rattle until I took the door apart to reconnect it.

I guess even if your mechanical door lock works, it could still be that cable. My cable was covered with foam to keep it from making rattle sounds. Maybe the foam fell off?

I'm sure there are plenty of other things that could be rattling like the wiring harness for the switches and the cables for the window regulator.

Good luck tracking it down.
--
Jeff
Thanks Jeff but I don't think it's that cable. The window only rattles when I raise or lower it. Hopefully I'll find the problem when I take the door apart.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did right before it stopped working. It shuttered kinda. When I took apart to replace the motor, the greased parts were bone dry. I suppose its part of the reason the motor craps out or gets dirty.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by VandyZ
mine did right before it stopped working. It shuttered kinda. When I took apart to replace the motor, the greased parts were bone dry. I suppose its part of the reason the motor craps out or gets dirty.
that makes sense. I assume that you ended up lubing the tracks again?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:57 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, lots of lube. . .made my window streaks worse so I had to reclean the part that causes the streaks.