Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003 | 07:50 AM
Billy Teeple

Question Warranty Question

I am fortunate to live in SCal and near Stillen Motor Sports. I purchased an AEM CAI from Stillen several weeks ago and they installed it on the spot (excellent service and product knowledge). I asked the service tech if this would void the warranty and he stated that "IT WOULD NOT" and referred me to a web site that gave me my rights as a consumer for "add on's".
I just had a 4000 mile service at the dealer and they tell me that I have possibly voided my warranty by having the CAI installed!!!! I was blown away by this and consulted Stillen. They insist that I have rights as a consumer and that I should fight the dealer if they insist on voiding the warranty. Can anyone give me some advice here?
Old 03-10-2003 | 10:40 AM
CT-Z

I am dealing with the same issue. I ordered the Injen CAI but have not installed yet. My salesmen said it would void the warranty, but everyone else I talked to said that voiding it would be illegal. Supposedly, they can oonly refuse to repair things that they can relate to the aftermarket part. Let me know if you find anything more out.
Old 03-10-2003 | 11:01 AM
WashUJon

According to the FTC, no company can void your entire warranty if you use an aftermarket part. However, the language in the FTC law states that the aftermarket part must be comparable in specification and quality to the OEM part. I don't think a CAI would be considered comparable in spec, since its designed to alter the OEM spec. However, they cannot void the entire warranty of the car. They CAN, however, refuse to repair any damage that may be related to your CAI. If you had an air filter that was non-OEM Nissan, but built to the SAME specification, they couldn't refuse a warranty claim about damage that may be related to the part. Make sense? I hope so.

-Jon
Old 03-10-2003 | 11:02 AM
Billy Teeple

Thanks CT-Z for your reply. I will let you if I hear from anyone else regarding this issue.