Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems
View Poll Results: Neutral or 1st gear when parked?
Neutral
30.39%
1st
64.22%
Whocares?
5.39%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Neutral or 1st when parked?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 09:24 PM
dbpoet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Ebrake also seems to be a little weak, but I think it might not be adjusted properly. I seem to remember the manual saying something about pulling it 4-5 clicks. I have to pull mine as far as I can to keep from rolling. Seems to be 7-8 clicks. I'll have it checked when I take it in for 1st service next month. In the meantime I just put in gear after I'm parked.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:40 PM
fuzzwart

Originally posted by dbpoet
My Ebrake also seems to be a little weak, but I think it might not be adjusted properly. I seem to remember the manual saying something about pulling it 4-5 clicks. I have to pull mine as far as I can to keep from rolling. Seems to be 7-8 clicks. I'll have it checked when I take it in for 1st service next month. In the meantime I just put in gear after I'm parked.
I too found that my e-brake was too weak as my driveway is sloped up-hill. So, I took it in within one week of purchase. I was told that the e-brake was set correctly and to use the recommended strategy in the owner's manual - 1st for uphill, rev for downhill.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:15 AM
OP Z

When I'm parked in the garage, I make a point of leaving it in neutral. I once started my car in gear (thinking it was in neutral), released the clutch and almost wound up in the kitchen.

I normally check to make sure I'm in neutral, but stuff just happens sometimes.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:18 AM
yzarCritS

One good reason to park in neutral.... remote starter.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:56 PM
DURSO

Originally posted by D'oh
Definitely leave it in gear!

I like the idea of double clutching to make sure the e-brake can hold the car and to make sure there is no load on the gears.

-D'oh!
Best Answer
A good habit for everyopne to get into that drives a stick no matter what kind of car.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:32 PM
hockeygabor

Been driving sticks since 1969...was taught to always leave it in 2nd gear with the EB always engaged
Have NEVER had any transmission or mechanical problems
Old 04-21-2003, 12:22 PM
phile

Well guys, I also have a very weak e-break. I've pulled it up very far, and had the car still slowly roll back on a slight decline. FOr this reason, when I park the car, I park it on reverse. If you're not on an incline/decline, putting it in any gear won't cause much wear that I know of....
Old 04-30-2003, 12:06 AM
G*Rated{350z}

i usually leave it in reverse. i cant stand the fact of knowing that some one can hit my car while its in gear.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:29 PM
n3z50

Holly smoke, guys help me out here i am in the point of getting a 6speed Z hopefully very soon. & as stupid this may sound i am actually learing how to drive a manual transmission so, i can get the Z sooner. And over here you guys are posting all this scary stuff about what could be the out come if the car is not parked @ the right gear

Allright then, will somebody please tell me, what is the safest & normal way to shift the gear when it's parked. And i live in FL, therefore thanks god, i don't have to worry about hills.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:12 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick shift cars have been around for 100 + years. I don't know why this thread keeps comming up; its easy. When ready to park the car:

1) Stop & put gear shift in neutral.

2) Pull up on the e-break

3) Take foot off brake pedal (so e-break is holding car in place)

4) Turn off engine.

5) Push in clutch & put car in 1st (uphill) or reverse (downhill); eithor one if level. Being in gear acts as a back up if the e-break fails for some reason.

If driving an automatic 99% of drivers would put tranny in "Park" when parking....not leave it in neutral with the e-break.
Putting a manny tranny in gear is essentially the same thing.

By the way, when parking with a auto tranny I follow the same procedure as above so the primary stress in holding the car is on the e-break instead of tranny.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:36 AM
takes12no1z

Talking Let me get this straight

A transmission that can handle repeated launches of the car and Hundreds of thousands of shifts in it's lifetime is "stressed"? by leaving it in 1st when parking? Give me a break. That's perhaps one of the silliest things I've ever heard. I recommend everyone who thinks this go read page 5-19 of the owners manual.

Maybe we should wonder why nissan made it so you can't start it while in gear with the clutch engaged, but lets you put it in gear while the car is turned off.

I think I'll go drive my z through an automated car wash now..that should really upset these types....
Old 06-19-2003, 05:16 PM
syf0n

Originally posted by YourMomma
I've pushed manual cars out of the way to get a parking spot (I was driving an '86 Ford LTD). Hope that doesn't add to your paranoia.
mostly it makes me think you're a ********.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Subbacultcha

Originally posted by ares
pushing the car would cause the pistons to turn, which is a HELL of alot of compression, and not easy to do. thats how it holds the car. also the engine wants to turn a certain way, by parking down hill and putting it in reverse, for it to roll it would have to turn the engine opposite its natural way. while this sounds bad.. it apparently does a better job of stopping the car, and doenst harm it.
I seriously doubt that when you shift into reverse, that your engine actually begins turning the "opposite its natural way". Thats what gears are for. The engine always goes just one way and a reverse gear changes the spin downstream from the engine....

so putting it in reverse vs. first gear when parked does not matter when you're on a hill. One should just always put it in reverse because it has the highest ratio of engine spin to actual movement....er something like that....