Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

curb rash, wheel touch up question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:53 PM
antennahead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default curb rash, wheel touch up question

My '06 rubbed the curb today. My fault backing up on a curving curb to avoid a bunch of screws and nails workers left in an area close to one of my companies buildings (typical idiots).

Question:
1) what is the paint color on the '06 touring wheels, and
2) is a touch up available?

Anyone tried sanding the rash to smooth it out? Is that even possible? Thanks.
John
Old 11-14-2006, 06:57 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

I haven't seen a touch-up paint for the wheels. As far as the sanding goes depends on how bad the wheel was curbed. There are shops out there that repair wheels. Maybe you could lightly file them down, but not too wild with it though. Don't want to change the wheel too much.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:59 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ZCARBANDIT
I haven't seen a touch-up paint for the wheels. As far as the sanding goes depends on how bad the wheel was curbed. There are shops out there that repair wheels. Maybe you could lightly file them down, but not too wild with it though. Don't want to change the wheel too much.
Yea, I might be able to do a light file with a finishing file to smooth it out, but would like to then touch up the paint to match. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:05 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

If it is indeed paint, maybe a paint store could match up some touch-up paint for you. But if it is what I think it is a chromed type wheel you may have to find somewhere to get it re-dipped. I use luxury wheels in colorado but we get discounts.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 PM
rmerrida

Default Anyone find this yet?

I have the same question. In my case I picked up a nail (no mater how hard you try not to get one...) and the moron who patched the hole also scratched my wheel. I also have an '06 Z and I think the color is a gunmetal grey metallic. Anyone know where we can find touch-up paint?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:05 PM
apharmdb

Check this out. Same thing happened to me a while back and I fixed it using this guy's guide. It was a fair amount of work but the results were very good. Sorry I don't have a paint code for you as the wheel was an aftermarket set. Good luck.

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/949926.phtml
Old 03-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Phantom Menace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antennahead
My '06 rubbed the curb today. My fault backing up on a curving curb to avoid a bunch of screws and nails workers left in an area close to one of my companies buildings (typical idiots).

Question:
1) what is the paint color on the '06 touring wheels, and
2) is a touch up available?

Anyone tried sanding the rash to smooth it out? Is that even possible? Thanks.
John
I don't think 06 wheels are painted with anything other than, maybe, a clearcoat. The rim looks like brushed aluminum to me. With painted wheels, you can do a fix with wet-sanding and touch-up paint but with "naked" rims? I think you'd have to have them professionally fixed. Some places fix curb rash for about $75-$150/rim. For that much, IMHO, I'd rather have them either chromed or powder coated for a bit more. Or you can always use them till they're curbed all to be damned, sell them and then buy some Nismos or what ever your flavor is.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:10 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by Phantom Menace
I don't think 06 wheels are painted with anything other than, maybe, a clearcoat. The rim looks like brushed aluminum to me. With painted wheels, you can do a fix with wet-sanding and touch-up paint but with "naked" rims? I think you'd have to have them professionally fixed. Some places fix curb rash for about $75-$150/rim. For that much, IMHO, I'd rather have them either chromed or powder coated for a bit more. Or you can always use them till they're curbed all to be damned, sell them and then buy some Nismos or what ever your flavor is.
Old thread but I thought I'd respond back I had a local wheel repair professional fix it. It was small, and would usually cost about $75 dollars. Turns out we knew a lot of the same people, mutual friends, and he did it for $40. Best money I have spent on a repair. It came out looking like new. he sanded, painted, and clearcoated, blending in a little past the area on both sides. According to him, the color is what he terms "ghost chrome", similar to some BMW and Mercedes stuff. All I know is he used a couple of different color coats to get the look and depth right before the clear, and it looks perfect. I highly recommend a pro to all who need a rash fixed.

John
Old 03-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Notthd

I recently had a curbing incident and the wheel took such a hit I replaced it from detroitwheelandtire.com for only $150. Now I am going to try to rapair the damaged one with some sanding and buffing.....their number is 248-545-8862 because they are moving thier website presently. They often are on e-bay....
Old 03-25-2007, 06:32 PM
photog

Took my car to the dealership and they repaired my wheel for $69. Couldn't tell where the damage had been after the repair. Great job! Took them approx. 3.5hrs to fix it.

I had turned into a driveway too short and hit the rising curb with the passenger rear wheel. Damage was about an inch long on the wheel lip.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:57 PM
I1DER

It's surprising how easy it is to rash a wheel when you are used to an SUV. The high side curbs are killers when you're backing out.