Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

NNA, you better STEP THE F**K UP and address this feathering issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 09:07 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is another

Old 03-28-2003, 09:13 PM
guerojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rodH
here is another

Its normal on 4x4's. the dealership use to say it was because it was a four wheel drive. the tire shops said alignment. I would get it aligned and it would still do that. I got used to it and finally gave up fighting and would replace front tires every 20k miles or so. I have had 4x4 for the last 15 years and I have a 2003 z71 and it does it to after about 8 or 9k miles if i dont rotate it. I only have 3700 on my z. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the pics.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:29 AM
Dutchy

3000 miles tires look good vin:110500 or something
i do bounce though, and wonder what other cars think when they see me bouncing on highway, pretty embarrasing.install Eibach,i guess.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Stone Z

Lightbulb

500 miles

Steering wheel is off-center and car pulls to the right. I'm gonna make an appointment to have an aligmnet done next week. Hopefully this will prevent any tire feathering that might occur.

Vin: xxx10981
Old 03-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Vincey2kr1

Stone Z sorry to burst your bubble but your alignment isn't going to get anything fixed from feathering. I've had my alignment checked and its within NIssan specs from day 1, my car does not pull left or right and my tires are still Feathering. People have had there car tires rotated and aligned to have there tires feather down the road again. Something is wrong with the suspension on this car.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Stone Z

Originally posted by Vincey2kr1
Stone Z sorry to burst your bubble but your alignment isn't going to get anything fixed from feathering. I've had my alignment checked and its within NIssan specs from day 1, my car does not pull left or right and my tires are still Feathering. People have had there car tires rotated and aligned to have there tires feather down the road again. Something is wrong with the suspension on this car.
Well, at least I'll be able to get the pull fixed and the steering wheel straightened out. If the tires are going to feather, then they're gonna do it. Not much else I can do about it.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Vincey2kr1

YOu could file a customer complaint at NIssan to get the ball rolling. Have you checked your tires for feathering yet? 1800nissan1 is the number. Were making a list(currently at 16) check the other thread for the email.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:52 PM
Z_Dragon_Lady

Default Possible Fix? Getting to NNA!!!

I hope I don't get to carried away here but here goes. Tire feathering @ 7000K miles,Jan 13th. after Droidekaus and a few others post. At Dealership @ 9500K miles. Called NNA. They called the dealership and the fat boy service personnel told them that I had caused the problem, so there was no reason to replace my tires. The fight was on. I lost a couple of battles, but won the war. Boomer, call NNA and don't use Steve's ext.#. Yes, start all over with the story with someone else and then tell them you can't get Steve to return your calls. Then call Steve so you have it on re-dial. Every 10min. leave another voice mail. Buzzword for the problem, MEDIA. (It worked for me.)
When I took my car to the dealership I just told them about my tire feathering issue.My toe-in was toed-out. They also said my wheel was off center. The dealership fixed the toe-in and the wheel off center issue. Here's where it gets really crazy. They never swapped the tires. The handling was really bad, I thought my tires were going to come off. 6 weeks and 3K miles later I got my tires. The great tight steering was now gone and felt like power assisted rack and pinon, although the handling of the vehicle improved and is good.
I took the car back and told them they messed up my steering and there was play in the wheel. The dealership told me the spec. was 35mm for play in the wheel and my car was within the limits. Stone Z you may want to get more info before they fix yours.
If anyone has info on this issue I would appreciate it. The only other thing is I now have 3.7K on the new front tires and no tire feathering. (I have been putting on 500 miles a week on the car and have been checking the tires constantly.)
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:00 PM
HouZton

I haven't posted in a helluva a long time because I have been enjoying my Z. However, I noticed the other day when washing in the wheels wells that the inside of my tires are feathered.

I came back out here to see if anyone else was experiencing this and what do you know. I have 4,600 miles, my VIN ends with 1000, and it is a Touring MT. It does not pull, it runs straight.

I will call my Nissan dealer and NNA tomorrow morning to add my name to the complaint list. I make a good living, but I don't want to go through tires this fast. They shouldn't be this bad.

A also own a 2000 Dodge Durango, and I use it to pull a 5,500# boat and to also travel to and from work. The tires, with that kind of towing and use, lasted 40,000 miles with even wear. And I use the boat at least twice a month taking it 90 miles each way to Freeport.

Add me to the list of wanting action on this.

On the lighter side, damn the car sure is fun to drive.

Greg

Last edited by HouZton; 03-31-2003 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:10 PM
zeelee

Default Re: NNA, you better STEP THE F**K UP and address this feathering issue!!!

Originally posted by droidekaus
This is DISGRACEFUL!

Feathering Thread #1
Feathering Thread #2

I called on Tuesday, March 18 to address the return of feathering and you have yet to call me back. It appears that no one else can get you to act either. You might have f**ked Touring owners on the Bose, but YOU ARE NOT GETTING AWAY WITH THIS! Too many people are going to feel the pain of going through tires at an accelerated rate, and then YOU ARE GOING TO FEEL THE PAIN of an angry mob of owners.

I'm with you Brad! I am going to the dealer tomorrow to get an alignment and DEMAND new tires. That should last me another 5 months till I have to do it again - which I will until they (nissan) come up with a final fix.

One thing that puzzles me. The TSB on Tire Road noise when braking applies to Vehicles built before Sept 19, 2002. What did Nissan do different to vehicles built after Sept 19, 2002? Why are vehicles built after Sept 19, 2002 immune to the tire feathering? What happened different on Sept 20, 2002?
Where would you like us to start with letting consumers know that you DO NOT stand behind your precious Z car? Automotive media outlets? A class-action suit? We are an intelligent, affluent ownership base, not a bunch of dolts who buy into your marketing hype. Many of us placed a HUGE AMOUNT OF TRUST in your company to deliver a quality product, leaving deposits for new Zs seven, eight, ten even twelve months in advance.

The choice is yours. Step up, or reap what you sow.

Sincerely,
Brad W.

P.S. If you've had it with this issue as a 350Z owner, simply add your name to this list of dissatisfied consumers.

P.P.S. If any of you apologists with perfect cars don't like what you're reading, move along.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:53 AM
Boomer

Default Feathering

This my 2nd post on the unresponsiveness of NNA CONSUMER/CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND MY 4TH COMPLAINT W/O A CALLBACK OR ANY CONTACT OF ANY KIND FROM NNA.

BOOMER--0 HELP, 0 USEFULNESS.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Z_Dragon_Lady

Default Lack of NNa to Callback!

Boomer, call NNA and don't use Steve's ext.#. Yes, start all over with the story with someone else and then tell them you can't get Steve to return your calls. Then call Steve so you have it on re-dial. Every 10min. leave another voice mail. Buzzword for the problem, MEDIA.

If anyone has any info on the steering wheel be off center and what the fix entails I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 04-01-2003, 11:29 AM
RobJames

I don't have time to read yet another huge thread on this topic, but I have to join the list of those demanding a quick fix to this, even if it costs Nissan $2000 a car to give us all S-tune suspensions. I am on my second set of front tires now, at Nissan cost, but I'm going to be very pissed when the dump truck ride comes back in 6000 miles. It won't be so pretty and polite then. It won't be some walk in the park, day at the beach, nicey nicey, lets not hurt anyone's feelings. I'm going to go bolistic on someone's ***.

BTW, I'm a litigation attorney, mostly commercial, defense related . . . work for a lot of big companies. But, if there isn't any fix for this in a couple of months, I might be willing to start signing some of you up for multidistrict litigation and/or class action against this unappreciative giant. I just want my damn car fixed. I love it otherwise.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:29 PM
fotodad

Default to RobJames:

Originally posted by RobJames
I don't have time to read yet another huge thread on this topic, but I have to join the list of those demanding a quick fix to this, even if it costs Nissan $2000 a car to give us all S-tune suspensions. I am on my second set of front tires now, at Nissan cost, but I'm going to be very pissed when the dump truck ride comes back in 6000 miles. It won't be so pretty and polite then. It won't be some walk in the park, day at the beach, nicey nicey, lets not hurt anyone's feelings. I'm going to go bolistic on someone's ***.

BTW, I'm a litigation attorney, mostly commercial, defense related . . . work for a lot of big companies. But, if there isn't any fix for this in a couple of months, I might be willing to start signing some of you up for multidistrict litigation and/or class action against this unappreciative giant. I just want my damn car fixed. I love it otherwise.
RobJames,
Please put my name at the top of any litigation petition against Nissan concerning the, as you eloquently and appropriately put it, "dump truck ride" and tire wear issue. The only way to have an impact on these huge corporations who insult us with their petty and pointless customer service surveys and patronizing customer reps on 800 numbers is to hit them hard in the pocketbook. They can pay a little now or pay a dump truck load later.

Come on Nissan, prove to all those customers who have invested a huge amount of money in your product that you DO care about their satisfaction, that you WILL take immediate action to correct what is quite obviously a design flaw. If you've been reading these posts, Nissan, then you can vividly see that most Z owners are pleased with their car, but they refuse to be treated like idiots. They refuse to spend this amount of money on a car, ANY CAR, which isn't operating properly. FIX THE SUSPENSION ISSUE, NOW!

And for those of you who are happy with your Z, great! I hope you do not experience these issues. But please do not belittle the views of those who rightfully have issues with the Nissan 350 Z.

Michael
Old 04-01-2003, 08:37 PM
kawataworks

Rod -

Can you help me write the petition? I am on my second draft and I could use help.

Ian

And for those of you that want to be a part of the petition write me and send me your VIN# & NNA Case#

mindfuliivin@yahoo.com
Old 04-01-2003, 08:39 PM
zeelee

Mr. James,

Please add my name/sign me up to the (soon to be) long list. I would rather pay a attorney then buy tires every 6 months.
I called Nissan and they said take it to the dealer. I called the dealer for an appointment and he said bring it in at 7:30 A.M.
Told him about the roar coming from the tires - told him I wanted him to give me an alignment and new tires and the dealer would have to push Nissan to get any results (i.e. new tires). He said that he would only switch the front tires and align them. I told him that would not fix the problem and I would have to keep bringing the Z back and bringing the Z back and bringing the Z back until they fixed the problem. He would not relent and said that my car would be ready at 5:00 P.M. He called at 5:00 P.M. and said they had not finished with the car and he would call me tomorrow. Now tell me how long does it take to switch the front tires and do an alignment? The battle is on!!!!!!!!!!
Tell me about the lemon law - if you take your car back for the same problem three of four times don't they have to give you a new car?
Old 04-01-2003, 08:47 PM
kawataworks

Default correction

Rob -

Correction on my email.

mindfullivin@yahoo.com
Old 04-01-2003, 09:24 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by kawataworks
Rod -

Can you help me write the petition? I am on my second draft and I could use help.

Ian

And for those of you that want to be a part of the petition write me and send me your VIN# & NNA Case#

mindfuliivin@yahoo.com
I could help with ideas, I think ROB is the one you want to help. YGM.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by zeelee
Mr. James,

...He would not relent and said that my car would be ready at 5:00 P.M. He called at 5:00 P.M. and said they had not finished with the car and he would call me tomorrow. Now tell me how long does it take to switch the front tires and do an alignment?
Sounds like you have a crappy dealership. I'm off today to visit my "trusted" dealership. Let's see if I fair any better. I've already given them some background on the problem.

I think the biggest issue facing even the best of dealerships is not knowing how to fix the problem. No dealership is going to start swapping out suspension stuff without Nissan directing their efforts (and paying for them). As bad as some of the Nissan dealerships are, it's NISSAN that is screwing us over.

Keep this up NISSAN and I promise you there will not be three more Nissans sitting in the driveway. You will have lost a very loyal customer.

Fly
Old 04-02-2003, 09:43 AM
ebaygriff47

Default I.m with you guys. Nissan Canada doesn't have a clue!

Hello everyone,

I really would like some advice. The noise from the feathering is driving me crazy, and I refuse to pay for new tires! What should I do? I have spoken to my dealership, and Nissan Canada Customer Service, and they both say that it is not replaceable because they are not a result of a road hazard. This is ridiculous!!!

Please anyone help!

By the way, I have Nissan Motor Corp. Japan's fax number. Maybe we should send 1 big fax of letters to the Chaiman and President. Just a thought.

Feel free tro email me at matthew@davidcigar.com

Later,

Matt

Quick Reply: NNA, you better STEP THE F**K UP and address this feathering issue!!!