Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

NNA, you better STEP THE F**K UP and address this feathering issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 02:02 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down NNA, you better STEP THE F**K UP and address this feathering issue!!!

This is DISGRACEFUL!

Originally posted by Vincey2kr1

Well its been a rough day of going back and forth between NIssan dealership, Nissan headquarters and Bridgestone and Yet i have anything to get accomplished. I went to 3 Bridgestone reps and all put in writing that "I do not have a defected tire, caused by mechanical wear/alighnment."The will not replace my tires because the feathering problem will just reappear. The NIssan dealership refused to put my car on the alignment machine because it was not pulling left or right, so there service tech believes its not an alignment problem, its a "tire problem". I called NIssan customer satisfaction #(1800nisssan1)(some ignorant Judy lady) and I have gotten no were, they refuse to replace my tires because Nissan does not warranty tires, it is done through the tire manufacturer and that my car is within NIssan specifications. I had one of the bridgestone dealers put the car on the alignment machine and gave the #'s to Nissan, according to them they are within specs. I'm tired of this dealership and I guess I'll move to the next one, sounds like Rob your having better luck with the Tulsa dealership I'm about a 2hour drive from there.. sooo I'll be giving them a try. Is there anything I can do from here?? Obviously its the car, NIssan will not stand behind there product wich is down right shameful.
Feathering Thread #1
Feathering Thread #2

I called on Tuesday, March 18 to address the return of feathering and you have yet to call me back. It appears that no one else can get you to act either. You might have f**ked Touring owners on the Bose, but YOU ARE NOT GETTING AWAY WITH THIS! Too many people are going to feel the pain of going through tires at an accelerated rate, and then YOU ARE GOING TO FEEL THE PAIN of an angry mob of owners.

Where would you like us to start with letting consumers know that you DO NOT stand behind your precious Z car? Automotive media outlets? A class-action suit? We are an intelligent, affluent ownership base, not a bunch of dolts who buy into your marketing hype. Many of us placed a HUGE AMOUNT OF TRUST in your company to deliver a quality product, leaving deposits for new Zs seven, eight, ten even twelve months in advance.

The choice is yours. Step up, or reap what you sow.

Sincerely,
Brad W.

P.S. If you've had it with this issue as a 350Z owner, simply add your name to this list of dissatisfied consumers.

P.P.S. If any of you apologists with perfect cars don't like what you're reading, move along.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:12 PM
jelledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Count me in

Count me in for any action on the tire issue.

I have owned 6 Nissans over my life 4 of which have been Z cars.
This will probably be the last Nissan I own if they don't step
up and do something.

The new Toyota Supra is coming out pretty soon......
Old 03-21-2003, 02:22 PM
macam308

COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll pay money if i had to. i just want a permanent fix to this feathering issue.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:52 PM
cobf32

Count me in!

This MUST BE FIXED BY NISSAN

Can you say lemon law!
Old 03-21-2003, 02:59 PM
DaKine-Z-

I'm in and agree with you 110%

I am going back monday so the dealer can swap and re-mount my front tires along with fixing various rattles that i still have. I have 8500 miles and vin #172. Don't ge me wrong people, I ABSOLUTELY STILL LOVE THIS CAR but, NNA needs to address this issue and find some kind of resolution besides the half *** one they have come up with currently!!

Ricky
Old 03-21-2003, 03:12 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Me too. As matter of fact I am going to take my Rays with Toyo's off the car and put back on the 17's since they replaced the two front tires finally, they would not give me the choice of getting diffeent tires or paying gor the 18's because that would be a modification even though they are also Nissan wheels.

NNA has their head so far up their *** they wont see daylight for a long time.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Boomer

Default Alignment/Bounce

I have 2 problems with my car VIN#...1434.

1. Alignment issues and the prospect of buying new tires every few thousand miles have me afraid to drive my new sports car. Why is this continuing to be a glaring problem for so many owners? The car is under warranty, why is the warranty and the problem being ignored by Nissan and many of their dealers? Could it be because dealers know the fixes are just bandaids and Nissan has ceased paying them to perform the task? A TSB was issued on January 23, 2003, "Tire Road noise when braking" C: WT03-001, Ref: NTB03-006 for vehicles built before: JN1...004958 AND JN1....104023. This is a bandaid, not a resolution of the problem.

2. Bouncing/porpoising/harshness in the ride are simply unacceptable in a modern sports car that costs as much as the 350Z. A change in the shocks/springs was made as a running change in later cars and should be available to correct the earlier cars. Why is it not available? Why are preorders like myself not given a choice of participating in a dollar for dollar repair of the problem? Instead, we are told we are not perceiving the problem correctly and that no problem exists. Absurdity, many of the preorders owned earlier Zs and like myself, owned a 240Z.

We know a poor ride from a good one and the stock components do not produce an acceptable sports car ride, much less a good one. Make us an offer, figure out your repair and let us examine it; some or all might be willing to negociate a compromise. I would certainly be one who would be open to such an enterprise. Continued silence on a major problem with a company icon such as the 350Z is ridiculous and harms your company's reputation and damages my resale value. We need a solution from Nissan that solves a negative situation for owners and our/your company.

Boomer aka Keith Hammer
Old 03-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Enforcer

Nissans "fix"...isn't.

Enforcer
Old 03-21-2003, 05:16 PM
jmark

Default Re: Alignment/Bounce

Originally posted by Boomer

1. Alignment issues and the prospect of buying new tires every few thousand miles have me afraid to drive my new sports car. Why is this continuing to be a glaring problem for so many owners? The car is under warranty, why is the warranty and the problem being ignored by Nissan and many of their dealers? Could it be because dealers know the fixes are just bandaids and Nissan has ceased paying them to perform the task? A TSB was issued on January 23, 2003, "Tire Road noise when braking" C: WT03-001, Ref: NTB03-006 for vehicles built before: JN1...004958 AND JN1....104023. This is a bandaid, not a resolution of the problem.

2. Bouncing/porpoising/harshness in the ride are simply unacceptable in a modern sports car that costs as much as the 350Z. A change in the shocks/springs was made as a running change in later cars and should be available to correct the earlier cars. Why is it not available? Why are preorders like myself not given a choice of participating in a dollar for dollar repair of the problem? Instead, we are told we are not perceiving the problem correctly and that no problem exists. Absurdity, many of the preorders owned earlier Zs and like myself, owned a 240Z.

We know a poor ride from a good one and the stock components do not produce an acceptable sports car ride, much less a good one. Make us an offer, figure out your repair and let us examine it; some or all might be willing to negociate a compromise. I would certainly be one who would be open to such an enterprise. Continued silence on a major problem with a company icon such as the 350Z is ridiculous and harms your company's reputation and damages my resale value. We need a solution from Nissan that solves a negative situation for owners and our/your company.

Boomer aka Keith Hammer
Boomer,
Where did you find out a running change has been made in the shocks/springs package? What was the change? I need this info for my dealer inquiry. I'll take a running change. How bout the NISMO suspension??????

Thanks, Mark
Old 03-21-2003, 05:17 PM
mcduck

I have not had a problem with this... how much mileage did you have before noticing it? I'm at 6700 now and see no unnatural wear on my tires...
Old 03-21-2003, 05:49 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: Alignment/Bounce

Originally posted by jmark
Boomer,
Where did you find out a running change has been made in the shocks/springs package? What was the change? I need this info for my dealer inquiry. I'll take a running change. How bout the NISMO suspension??????

Thanks, Mark
Mark, I am guessing they made a change because most of the gripes about the ride have come from folks with lower VIN#s. I will wait for their response; did they make one, if so, when? If they have not made a running change, why not??

With all the complaints about the ride, a running change should have been done or needs to be done. If they have done nothing in this regard, we need to call them on it. If they have, We want it? Don't we? A NISMO installation would be a viable resolution to some of us. Why don't we talk about it? Capiche?

Consider it, think about it, use your current info and ask some of these questions, or not, as the dialogue continues.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:57 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by mcduck
I have not had a problem with this... how much mileage did you have before noticing it? I'm at 6700 now and see no unnatural wear on my tires...
What's your VIN#? I'd like yours to see how it fits with a TSB, please.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:27 PM
sands

Has there been a consensus about the cause of the problem? I have read shock to spring matching and the inability to adjust camber. Is there any indication that the Nismo S-Tune suspension will solve this problem? If so it could pay for itself if it takes Nissan a year or more to fix this.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:31 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: Alignment/Bounce

Originally posted by Boomer

Boomer aka Keith Hammer
I have the problems, with 2 being lessened somewhat with the new tires, probably due to stiffer sidewall but it still does it. As for 1 it makes sense why the Nissan rep said that the first few months the Z was produced with toe out, which has caused the wear we have experienced, but what is different after VIN JN1...004958 AND JN1....104023, his comment was that it was expected to wear tires on a sports car, and I told him not every 5000 miles!!!. Does the alignment really fix it or just push it back slightly. If I remember Brad you got your first indication around 4-5K and now at 7K, this really sucks, they need to produce a control arm to adjust camber and a revised suspension, I would be happy with the control arm, anything NNA. I have VIN 573.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:38 AM
Flyingscot

I just replied to the other thread on this topic but I wanted to go on record here to. I totally agree with droidekaus. This situation is intolerable given the cost of tires these days.

This is my third Nissan. Could be my last if they don't handle this situation appropriately.

From a long term perspective, we should be able to fix the problem with aftermarket parts. We'll also be making the car handle like a sports car and not a pickup truck (BTW, it's begining to sound like a pickup truck now due to the tires).

If Nissan wanted the Z to sound and ride like a pickup truck, the very least they could have done is give it an 8ft bed.

Anyway, I believe we already have enough history here to move directly to class-action lawsuit. I say we should start a poll, and email it to Nissan Consumer Affairs.

I'd also like to see Nissan offer a coupon to be applied to the Nismo suspension assuming it fixes the problem.

Fly
Old 03-22-2003, 07:04 AM
rodH

Originally posted by Flyingscot
I just replied to the other thread on this topic but I wanted to go on record here to. I totally agree with droidekaus. This situation is intolerable given the cost of tires these days.

This is my third Nissan. Could be my last if they don't handle this situation appropriately.

From a long term perspective, we should be able to fix the problem with aftermarket parts. We'll also be making the car handle like a sports car and not a pickup truck (BTW, it's begining to sound like a pickup truck now due to the tires).

If Nissan wanted the Z to sound and ride like a pickup truck, the very least they could have done is give it an 8ft bed.

Anyway, I believe we already have enough history here to move directly to class-action lawsuit. I say we should start a poll, and email it to Nissan Consumer Affairs.

I'd also like to see Nissan offer a coupon to be applied to the Nismo suspension assuming it fixes the problem.

Fly
guys, if you think you are going to get a Nismo suspension kit out of it, Nissan people have to look at your remarks and scratch thier heads wondering if your true intention is to get a Nismo kit or GET the STOCK car fixed. They could be extra nice and do what you are asking, BUT franking if the problem is as bad as many of you say, I think 99% of you would be happy with a FIX (change in valving or oil viscocity for increased damping or a changed control arm angle, etc.......WHATEVER is NEEDED to FIX it!!!), 2 new front tires, free labor (and a coupon for a free oil change/tune up thrown in). The Nismo thing isn't going to happen. They could produce a correct part (likely they all ready are on the higher VINs) for MUCH MUCH less than Nismo suspension.

HOPE THIS ALL GETS WORKED OUT!!

Last edited by rodH; 03-22-2003 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:07 AM
jmark

Originally posted by rodH
guys, if you think you are going to get a Nismo suspension kit out of it, Nissan people have to look at your remarks and scratch thier heads wondering if your true intention is to get a Nismo kit or GET the STOCK car fixed. They could be extra nice and do what you are asking, BUT franking if the problem is as bad as many of you say, I think 99% of you would be happy with a FIX (change in valving or oil viscocity for increased damping or a changed control arm angle, etc.......WHATEVER is NEEDED to FIX it!!!), 2 new front tires, free labor (and a coupon for a free oil change/tune up thrown in). The Nismo thing isn't going to happen. They could produce a correct part (likely they all ready are on the higher VINs) for MUCH MUCH less than Nismo suspension.

rodH,
I don't think any of us expect a free NISMO susp. kit. I do think we deserve a fix for both problems. I do expect Nissan to address both issues. Your solution sounds reasonable. I hope Nissan offers the preorder people a special deal on the NISMO products.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:20 AM
rodH

Originally posted by jmark
rodH,
I don't think any of us expect a free NISMO susp. kit. I do think we deserve a fix for both problems. I do expect Nissan to address both issues. Your solution sounds reasonable. I hope Nissan offers the preorder people a special deal on the NISMO products.
I agree 100% with what you said, those that have this issue (or we who potentially have this issue) shouldn't HAVE to worry about this situation at ALL, it is NISSANs fault and they should do whatever NEEDS to be done to fix it.

one thing people might want to consider, Autoweek is CURRENTLY looking for comments from Z owners for thier review
Old 03-22-2003, 10:25 AM
kawataworks

Default Class Action

I agree with all of you. I feel it is a major hassle to deal with this issue on a new car. And many of us, put our faith in Nissan by ordering the car sight unseen. We put deposits down and waited 8, 9, 10 months to recieve our cars. We are the ones who should get the best treatment from Nissan being that we are the RD arm of their product. I still believe this is an awsome car for the money, but none of us should have to go through this hassle.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Flyingscot

guys, if you think you are going to get a Nismo suspension kit out of it, Nissan people have to look at your remarks and scratch thier heads wondering if your true intention is to get a Nismo kit or GET the STOCK car fixed....The Nismo thing isn't going to happen. They could produce a correct part (likely they all ready are on the higher VINs) for MUCH MUCH less than Nismo suspension.
You make a good point here. I would not want NISSAN, or anyone else for that matter, to think my intentions were not above board. I was just throwing out a crazy idea that NISSAN give people the choice of a replacement part or a voucher to be used for NISMO parts. I say "voucher" because from what I understand, NISMO is not part of Nissan. Anyway, like you say, the NISMO thing is highly unlikely and we haven't yet proven it solves the problem.

I stopped by my local Goodyear shop (since they were closest) to get the service manager's advice. He confirmed that while the rears are fine, the fronts are beginning to feather. The inside tread appears to be worse than the outside tread, despite what I first thought. I have 4000miles on the car. Overall, the actual tire wear is not that bad, although I've been told I drive the car like a Granddad.

I deliberately didn't mention any issues with the car to see what his reaction was. He immediate spotted the feathering on the front tires and suggested it was an alignment issue. He also commented that around town driving would probably worsen the feathering more so than highway miles. I found his final comment interesting but not unexpected given our little problem. He said that based upon the work he does for dealers in the area, he estimates that 7 out of 10 cars driven of the lot have alignment issues from the factory. Both domestic and import.

So there you have it. I'm going to try the alignment first and go from there. I never intended to get more than a years worth from the tires anyway. I'm also going to log a complaint.

I'll report back if and when I have something worthy to report.

Fly

Last edited by Flyingscot; 03-22-2003 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: NNA, you better STEP THE F**K UP and address this feathering issue!!!