Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tach stopped working!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Killermove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach stopped working!!

Or maybe "got stuck" is a better way to put it.

I was cursing up I-85 in stop and go traffic. I go from a stop once and notice the engine is revving but tachometer needle moveth not.

"Hmmm...I'm in thrid, moving 25 mph and the tach says 900 RPM's...now I'm braking and the clutch is depressed...the tach still says 900 rpms."

Not good. I went a little further...back through a few gears - the tach never moved. Fianlly, about 1/2 mile later it sprung back to life (after I started mving from a dead stop).

I was thought that was a bit odd. 4 or 5 miles down the road it happened AGAIN! This time, it was stuck at 1300 RPM's! This one lasted longer and I was approaching the dealer close ot my house. So I streaked acrosss several lanes of traffic (safely of course) and stopped at the top of the exit ramp -- just missed the light. Dealer is 1 mile away (Gwinnett Place Nissan). Sure enough...I'm sitting there, looking at my tach saying "1300" when it drops down to idle.

DANR IT! Just before I get to the dealer too!

Anyway...anybody else have this happen? I did stop at the dealer but they were packed and it wasn't doing it right then, so I just left.

This is the FIRST issue I've had with my Z. I got it Sept, 17 2002 and have a few short of 8000 miles.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 03-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Ozz

Ryan
Sorry to hear about the trouble with the tach. Haven't had any problems yet myself. I just wanted to say hi. I shopped Gwinette Place Nissan also, but they could not find the car I wanted. I ended up having to find the car myself and driving up to Chattahoochie to pick it up. I live in Duluth. I'm thinking about joining the Atlanta Z Club. Are you a member? If so maybe I'll see you at one of the meetings. I hope GPN takes care of that tach problem real quick for ya.
Later,
Ozz
Old 03-21-2003, 02:56 PM
cobf32

This happened to me once. It was "stuck" at about 900RPM for a few miles, started working again, and hasn't happened again. I don't know why??

Silverstone Performance
Phoenix AZ
Old 03-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Michael-Dallas

Yep, had that happen to me. The needle was jumping at 500rpm increments and just froze at 3000rpm. After a while, it started working again.

*shrug*

Michael.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:40 PM
350Z_Track

This also had happened to me. I was shifting from 1 st to 2nd and then to neutral. When I was in neutral the tach did not drop to idle but stayed at 2500 rpm. After like two shifts the tach came back to life. I did notice the engine was not revving at all when i was in neutral, despite what the tach was showing. I had my finance in the car and she witnessed the whole thing. The problem has not come back ever since. And that was a week ago.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:04 PM
Rob Nance

I have never had this happen in my Z. I did have this happen in my 2000 Eclipse GT with both the tach AND the speedo. It happened the same way most have said with both of them. Stuck once, came free, stuck again a minute or so later, then went, and then never came back *shrug*.

Sure someone knows why, anyone tried searching the 'net for a general comment about this happening on other cars?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 PM
MikeBit

Today I was cruising around in my 06 and I saw my RPM needle get "stuck" just like you guys have. It did this like 3 times. First at 2000, then went back to normal for a mile, then got stuck at idle, then back to normal, then got stuck at 900. Then worked again. Has anyone got any more info on this? I also noticed some slight rattling coming from within the center dash, where the cubby is. At first I thought it was the connector inside the dash that makes all your gauges work (thought it was coming lose), but I remembered that when I installed my HU on my old 03, ALL the gauges stopped working (forgot to plug that thing back in). So I figured, this RPM thing must be different because all the other gauges work. Hmmmm
Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 PM
omsin523

Dude you just bumped a 8 yr old thread!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 PM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by omsin523
Dude you just bumped a 8 yr old thread!
I know! But why start a new thread when one already exists? Anyway I'm hoping that, 8 years later, someone has some insight on this.