Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ode to my ailing Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 08:07 PM
aggie300zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ode to my ailing Z

It was warm spring evening as I drove down the road, humming to the rattle of my passenger visor and equally to the bounce of my ride. As I approached the corner I glanced to the left to peer through the grease streaks on my window. While I make the graceful turn the slipping feeling that my car possess overwhelms me. I mean I really only have two tires and some change actually touching the asphalt. As I finish my turn, the sudden shifting of my seat is synchronized with the creaking sound of my passenger window that has somehow come off its track. The whole experience comes to a rest once I realize that I only traveled about 50 yards and yet I experienced all of the joy that I now have when I drive my beloved Z.

Drive it, Love it, Break it!

Scott

ps-sorry for the rant, but I actually just experienced this and I needed to vent!
Old 04-01-2003, 08:43 PM
oSoFastFerU

Whoa..... some of these stories are really scary..... i might not be getting my Z after all....
Old 04-02-2003, 05:20 AM
Kraigman

This is the first time I've seen this reported:

"While I make the graceful turn the slipping feeling that my car possess overwhelms me. I mean I really only have two tires and some change actually touching the asphalt."

Is this a reference to the 'quality' of our stock tires?
Old 04-02-2003, 05:31 AM
350zSpeedRacer

I'm sorry, Scott. But you know Nissan's GOTTA step up soon, or Brad will really be on their asses.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:53 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
I'm sorry, Scott. But you know Nissan's GOTTA step up soon, or Brad will really be on their asses.
You know it, kiddo!

Goddamnit, Scott. I hate to hear about multiple problems, much less one. Sorry, pal. I'm working feverishly to get multiple solutions figured out. Nissan is never going to step up and fix the front suspension like they should, but I'm trying to find alternatives for those that do wish to keep their cars.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:59 AM
aggie300zx

Yeah, for the first time these issues in a compounded method are taking away from my enjoyment of the Z. That's what bothers me the most is that it has beat me down to this point.

As for the reference to "two tires and some change actually touching the asphalt", it's all about the tire feathering issue. My front tires are crap so to me they are considered the "change" side of the statement.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:14 PM
Kraigman

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Thanks for the clarification - I'm with you now. I just put on some new shoes (some proxes) recently - so my corners are doing a bit better than yours I think. But for how long? That is the question.
IMO only birds should be feathering this time of year.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:26 PM
DaKine-Z-

Default ....

Scott,

I know exactly how you are feeling. I just got my tires realigned and remounted last week and the damn road noise is 10x worse than it was before!!!! I feel like I am driving an off road moster truck! I'm ashamed to take the ladies out on the town because I get constantly questioned why the road noise is so G*$ DAMN NOISY!!!! WTF NISSAN???? ANd these god awful rattles that keep popping up??? You think you fix one then another just pops up out of the blue. Hell, my 1992 Mitsu Eclipse GS is 11 years old and I have yet to hear rattles coming from the interior? You people can't tell me that this is normal for a 36k sports car, so don't bother bringing that bullsh%# up.

This SH$% is definitely hindering my driving experience along with my satisfaction with the car as well as Nissan.............. I
sure as hell hope that we all see a fix for this stuff ESPECIALLY the tire feathering!!! Good thing I am a DIE HARD Z fan otherwise I would have traded her in weeks ago for God knows what?????

Very concerned and pissed Z owner,
-Ricky-
Old 04-02-2003, 05:34 PM
350zSpeedRacer

Sick 'em, Brad! For you, Scott, and Ricky. (Not to mention all the other people who are going through tires every 3000 miles.)

This is really getting disheartening, since Nissan hasn't REALLY addressed this issue.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:43 PM
DaKine-Z-

I sure hope they do Christy! Hope your car was further along in production to were they weeded out the problem!! Make sure you keep an eye on your tires and keep us posted. So what did you say was next on your mod list???

-Ricky-
Old 04-02-2003, 06:06 PM
aggie300zx

She's droping in a Viper engine into the bay, might have to remove somesheet metal, but no big deal in the quest for performance!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 06:11 PM
350zSpeedRacer

You guys crack me up!

I'm actually in the middle of putting on my NISMO spoiler (the stock one was a ***** to get off!) and Friday, I think I'll do my InJen CAI. I wanted to rip this car up anyways.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:07 AM
zpeedDemon

Sorry to say this but I think this thread really made my mind up. I am not purchasing a Z after all. I am anticipating the release of the next generation Supra. This suks ****!
Old 04-03-2003, 05:53 AM
oSoFastFerU

Originally posted by zpeedDemon
Sorry to say this but I think this thread really made my mind up. I am not purchasing a Z after all. I am anticipating the release of the next generation Supra. This suks ****!
Any idea as to when this next gen supra will be released?
Old 04-03-2003, 08:08 AM
aggie300zx

Not trying to sway your decision, but as us current Z owners knew going into this, all first year models have problems. The supra I'm sure when it comes out will have problems as well, it's just the nature of the beast. What I try to focus on is not the problem, but how quickly and efficiently it is solved. It's unknown that if Toyota comes out with the Supra and it has problems they will respond any quicker than Nissan has so far.

One of my favorite movie quotes from Cocktail is, "Coglin's law: Anything else is always something better!". Becareful not to get caught up in that and I hope you enjoy what ever you end up driving!
Old 04-03-2003, 11:29 AM
zpeedDemon

Originally posted by aggie300zx
Not trying to sway your decision, but as us current Z owners knew going into this, all first year models have problems. The supra I'm sure when it comes out will have problems as well, it's just the nature of the beast. What I try to focus on is not the problem, but how quickly and efficiently it is solved. It's unknown that if Toyota comes out with the Supra and it has problems they will respond any quicker than Nissan has so far.

One of my favorite movie quotes from Cocktail is, "Coglin's law: Anything else is always something better!". Becareful not to get caught up in that and I hope you enjoy what ever you end up driving!

Maybe if Nissan improves and fixes the issues that the 350Z has I will probably change my mind. But so far I will adhere to my decision...until the 2nd year of production I guess. Hopefully Nissan will be up to the tasks.