Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Wheel Bounce When Cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 06:29 PM
venom2xk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bounce When Cold

Ok, it seems like this just started happening. do not know if its the cold weather or if i have a problem. When i pull out my Z at the beginning of driving especially on turns, it feels like my rear is hopping. This only happens for a couple minutes of driving and then stops. But when the Z is cold, it seems like the whole car is vibrating when im making small turns.

Any input greatly appreciated
Old 02-08-2007, 08:10 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends on several factors such as temperature and how long the car has been sitting. In freezing weather after the car has been sitting for 8 hours plus, the tires have a flat spot. They are out of round. For the first several hundred feet, it feels like you are driving over big rocks: the rubber is trying to conform to a round shape. After they are warm, they will be round again.

Agressive driving on summer tires when the road surface is below freezing is not wise.

Last edited by davidv; 02-09-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:26 PM
drivenCSZ

Originally Posted by davidv
Depends on several factors such as temperature and how long the car has been sitting. In freezing weather after the car has been sitting for 8 hours plus, the tires have a flat spot. They are out of round. For the first several hundred feet, it feels like you are driving over big rocks: the rubber trying to conform to a round shape. After they are warm, they will be round again.

Agressinve driving on summer tires when the road surface is below freezing is not wise.

+1 especially if you're rolling on stocks...they arent meant for cold temperatures and will skate and act funny in cold weather especially if they arent warmed up. Be careful, stock tires are not for driving in the cold and while they will do alright if its dry out in the cold, you're likely to kill yourslef if you encounter freezing temps+wetness
Old 02-09-2007, 07:25 AM
imjdoggie

Originally Posted by venom2xk
Ok, it seems like this just started happening. do not know if its the cold weather or if i have a problem. When i pull out my Z at the beginning of driving especially on turns, it feels like my rear is hopping. This only happens for a couple minutes of driving and then stops. But when the Z is cold, it seems like the whole car is vibrating when im making small turns.

Any input greatly appreciated
Thank you for asking this question man, I have had the same issue.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:55 AM
venom2xk

thanks a lot of the replies. yea winter and stocks is horrible i try to avoid driving as much as possible.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:12 AM
joegengsta

oh wow, phew.. when this first happened i was soooo nervous.. i got out in (-25 F windchill of minnesota) and checked all 4 wheels.. i thought i was dragging something or my axles were messed up.. drove a big longer and it went away.. hehe,
Old 02-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Fluid1

Your stock tires don't start performing well until they are at about 80*
If they don't hop, they will spin.