Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tranny Problem on 06 MT

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:11 PM
whitemikecn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Problem on 06 MT

Before I start this.... Yes I can drive MT very well.

So about a week ago i was merging into traffic and went all the way through 1st and up to 5.5 - 6k in second at that time I was up to about 55 MPH and went to shift into 6th.... I let the RPM's drop to about 1.5 k and put it into gear before it went into gear I hear this nasty grinding noise. This has happened numerous times since. I take it to nissan today to have a tech ride with me and then take a look at the car, and replicate the problem perfectly. The tech replies with "damn that sucks... That can't be good." So when we get back he basically sends me off to sit somewhere so the guy can talk to his service manager. They came back to me and say that there is nothing that they can do because it is my fault and this would not happen if the car was driven normally. Is there anything not normal about that? Meaning i have been driving MT for a long time and if I remember correctly the MT has not changed much in the past 50 years or so.

What should I do about this? I am very upset and feel that the service manager was very rude to me and basically did not want the hassle of fixing my car.

Chris
Old 02-20-2007, 06:18 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

Go to another dealer and get a second opinion.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:31 PM
whitemikecn

I should have added that I have an appointment on Friday of this week to take the car into another Nissan Dealership to have them look at it. Also would like to ask if anyone else on the forum has expierenced this problem.

V/R
Christopher
Old 02-20-2007, 06:36 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

you normally take your car to 6k in 1st and 2nd when daily driving?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:40 PM
whitemikecn

Originally Posted by dspiel
you normally take your car to 6k in 1st and 2nd when daily driving?

No Like I said before I was merging into traffic..... So I had to accelerate very quickly to get up to speed.

V/R
Christopher
Old 02-20-2007, 06:52 PM
infamous350

man thats bull that they said you did it i mean its a 2006 how many miles could you possibly have even if you pounded the **** out of it from day one the gears should not be grinding that would get me so pissed i would call nissan of a america and tell them the story

I mean my buddy works for nissan and i told him about 2 times since i owned my 2003 i had 3rd gear grind and he told me they would not give me a problem at all on replacing but to wait when its doing it more so they wont tell me they cant duplicate it but it hasnt seemed to do it again for about a year and a half now

Last edited by infamous350; 02-20-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Hustler904

which dealership did you take it to?if its coggin nissan on atlantic they're morons,the nissan at the avenues I heard is not too bad,they're doing an oil consumption test on another member on this sites 06 z
Old 02-20-2007, 07:17 PM
whitemikecn

Originally Posted by Hustler904
which dealership did you take it to?if its coggin nissan on atlantic they're morons,the nissan at the avenues I heard is not too bad,they're doing an oil consumption test on another member on this sites 06 z
Bought the car at Coggin on Atlantic and took the car for service at Coggin at the Avenues. My Appointment is at Coggin on Atlantic on Friday. I would be willing to take the car out of town if someone could tell me a better dealership to take it to for this problem. I am pissed to say the least. 38k car should not be having this issue or any at 5,000 miles.

Christopher
Old 02-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Hustler904

yea,from what I hear the mt's suck,let us know how it all goes,and I'd definitely do something about maybe filing a complaint or something on that dealership,they cant really say you messed up your tranny just by listening to it,they better pull that tranny out and checkout all the parts inside or something
Old 02-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Cyp

47k miles on my 03' and no transmission issues. I've had maybe three grinds from first to second at 6krpm's. However, that has happened to me with other cars too. I don't think that means your transmission is bad.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 PM
whitemikecn

Originally Posted by Cyp
47k miles on my 03' and no transmission issues. I've had maybe three grinds from first to second at 6krpm's. However, that has happened to me with other cars too. I don't think that means your transmission is bad.
no this is when i go from 2nd at about 6500 RPMs and 55mph into 6th while rev matching.

Christopher
Old 02-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Sleeper01

ahhhh Jacksonville FL my second home =]......JACKSONVILLE ROCKS =]....good luck on the Tranny man
Old 02-21-2007, 06:38 AM
ryan350z

Originally Posted by whitemikecn
Before I start this.... Yes I can drive MT very well.

So about a week ago i was merging into traffic and went all the way through 1st and up to 5.5 - 6k in second at that time I was up to about 55 MPH and went to shift into 6th.... I let the RPM's drop to about 1.5 k and put it into gear before it went into gear I hear this nasty grinding noise. This has happened numerous times since. I take it to nissan today to have a tech ride with me and then take a look at the car, and replicate the problem perfectly. The tech replies with "damn that sucks... That can't be good." So when we get back he basically sends me off to sit somewhere so the guy can talk to his service manager. They came back to me and say that there is nothing that they can do because it is my fault and this would not happen if the car was driven normally. Is there anything not normal about that? Meaning i have been driving MT for a long time and if I remember correctly the MT has not changed much in the past 50 years or so.

What should I do about this? I am very upset and feel that the service manager was very rude to me and basically did not want the hassle of fixing my car.

Chris

Well, I am in the same boat with my girls Z. We had it at one dealer could not duplicate, second dealer said a synthetic oil change in the trans, then they denied they heard the problem, last dealer on the way there we lost 5th gear (with in 5 miles of leaving dealer number 2). So dealer number 3 has it easy no 5th gear but they are by far and away the most friendly and polite to work with.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....8&goto=newpost

Read about my problems with Nissan and Nissan Dealers .

Ryan
Old 02-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Fluid1

Do a search on this forum about tranny problems. There is a sticky thread on it. Print out parts of it where people are speaking of getting their crappy trannies replaced under warranty. Mine was.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 AM
whitemikecn

Originally Posted by ryan350z
Well, I am in the same boat with my girls Z. We had it at one dealer could not duplicate, second dealer said a synthetic oil change in the trans, then they denied they heard the problem, last dealer on the way there we lost 5th gear (with in 5 miles of leaving dealer number 2). So dealer number 3 has it easy no 5th gear but they are by far and away the most friendly and polite to work with.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....8&goto=newpost

Read about my problems with Nissan and Nissan Dealers .

Ryan
Ryan,
I have been following your posts regarding your transmission. Congrats by the way on getting it is to a dealer that ACTUALLY cares about their customers. So I called Harbor Nissan today and spoke with Rob (service guy). Funny part is.... The first thing he mentioned to me today was your car. I laughed. I have a beach house in Venice Florida and told them that if they would actually take the time to look for the problem that I would drive it down there to them. If I have to do that and in fact there is a problem with the car then I am going to send NNA a bill for my gas and other expenses accrued while making the trip. I think that might get NNA attention. To cut this short I have a call in to John (Service Manager) and I am waiting on a call back. I will let you know how this turns out.

Chris

Oh yeah. Ryan I am going to PM you.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Hustler904

If this dealer is any good and gives you no problems I wouldnt mind taking mine there if I ever experience any problems with my z,it'd be worth the trip just to save on aggravation from crappy dealers and bad service
Old 02-21-2007, 02:09 PM
ryan350z

they are awesome!!! I can tell you how Happy I am with them.

Ryan
Old 02-24-2007, 09:45 PM
whitemikecn

So I took the car back to the same dealership on friday bc the service manager finally called me back after I threatned to send them my bill if I had to end up going to Harbor Nissan. They are putting a new tranny in my car on this comming Wednesday.

Just wanted to say thank you to Ryan and also the Service manager at Harbor Nissan (John). You guys helped me out a lot and if anyone needs service call John over at harbor. I can assure you that he will take care of you.

Christopher M Peters
Old 02-25-2007, 05:57 AM
ryan350z

no problem.

Ryan
Old 02-25-2007, 06:19 AM
Hustler904

sounds good,hopefully this tranny will be better than the first one