Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

3rd Gear Messed up

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:29 PM
joe645733

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gear Messed up

hey guys. i have a good warranty until 60k miles of my car. and 44k miles are on it now. and i wanted to kinda wear the clutch a bit so i can get a brand new one to start clean with.

so today with my cousin, i went to a parking lot and a few other friends were there with their cars.

i did a few donuts, i and shifted 1st through 3rd in them.
smoke was everywhere. smelling like crazy. then i got out of it, and was driving, and i noticed when i was beginning to push the shifter into third, i heard/felt grinding. i can put it in third, if i push hard enough, but im just driving without 3rd right now.

is this what slipping clutch is. or is this a new tranny?

it only happens to 3rd gear. so im driving without that gear.

but either way, my warranty will fix this. i have the engine and drivetrain warranty.

i called my friend and he said it was a mistake to shift to 3rd gear. i just shifted to 3rd cuz i didnt wanna keep hitting the limiter on 2nd.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:59 PM
joe645733

up.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:38 AM
joe645733

up.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Saikou

for my experience with warranties from Nissan dealers, the clutch is considered a wear and tear item thus it is not covered under warranty. the engine and transmission are going to be covered but as far as the clutch is concerned its not covered just as windshield whippers, tires, and other "wear and tear items" i recommend reading my thread on my story about my clutch and how i discovered this, the hard way. But hey maybe your warranty is different never know just read it carefully.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:08 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

ye like he said ^^. I was just at the nissan service yesterday and thats exactly what they told me^^ " wear and tear item"... if ur car is grinding 3rd... I would think its the tranny. Could be a "clutch front bearing" that is covered by the warrnty.. but the pressure plate and clutch disc are not.
Does ur car make any weird noises? and when you press down the clutch does it go away? if yes , then you gotta gotta geta new front bearing. If I were you Id get it checked out asap. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:55 AM
VQLOVER

Why would you **** your car up on purpose? If you wanted a new clutch....buy one.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:20 AM
joe645733

Originally Posted by VQLOVER
Why would you **** your car up on purpose? If you wanted a new clutch....buy one.
cuz its free.

how do i know how much the guy before me abused my car? although he was a lawyer, but still. what if something happens at like 65k miles? my warranty would be expired and id be f*cked big time. idk, its better i start with something fresh and new, starting from 60k miles. so i dont have the problem in the long run when i have no warranty.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:21 AM
joe645733

Originally Posted by Saikou
for my experience with warranties from Nissan dealers, the clutch is considered a wear and tear item thus it is not covered under warranty. the engine and transmission are going to be covered but as far as the clutch is concerned its not covered just as windshield whippers, tires, and other "wear and tear items" i recommend reading my thread on my story about my clutch and how i discovered this, the hard way. But hey maybe your warranty is different never know just read it carefully.
hmm...well what does the "drivetrain warranty" cover? cuz i know i have the engine/drivetrain warranty. but isnt the clutch a pretty big item under the drivetrain subject?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Fluid1

The clutch is a wearable item. They don't replace your brake pads under warranty do they?

Do a search, there's a giant sticky thread regarding this issue.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Lo$t

I hate seeing things like this. Bring it to nissan and they'll replace your tranny. I hope your clutch is ruined as well as the transmission. I also wish i was there to see the look on your face when you bring it to nissan and they replace your transmission but don't replace the clutch. Your face will be stuck with a dîck look on it until you get your car back from nissan, and have to buy a new clutch. I'm going to refrain from calling you names now.
Good thread. Everyone take this as an example of what NOT to do.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:34 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would think someone looking to get free parts would see what they are giving away for free before he goes and breaks what he has? They aren't going to replace your clutch if you were nice to it or not. Damn kids...
Old 03-30-2007, 12:25 PM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by joe645733
hey guys. i have a good warranty until 60k miles of my car. and 44k miles are on it now. and i wanted to kinda wear the clutch a bit so i can get a brand new one to start clean with.

so today with my cousin, i went to a parking lot and a few other friends were there with their cars.

i did a few donuts, i and shifted 1st through 3rd in them.
smoke was everywhere. smelling like crazy. then i got out of it, and was driving, and i noticed when i was beginning to push the shifter into third, i heard/felt grinding. i can put it in third, if i push hard enough, but im just driving without 3rd right now.

is this what slipping clutch is. or is this a new tranny?

it only happens to 3rd gear. so im driving without that gear.

but either way, my warranty will fix this. i have the engine and drivetrain warranty.

i called my friend and he said it was a mistake to shift to 3rd gear. i just shifted to 3rd cuz i didnt wanna keep hitting the limiter on 2nd.
Your retarted
/dead thread
Old 03-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Zmoney

lol nice work dood!

More than likely ur 3rd gear syncro is shot.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:31 PM
LvntheZ

my tranny was grinding in 3rd i went to nissan and the very helpful guy there.... said "oh, im gonna have them replace everything" just cuz i was a good customer.. i got a new tranny, clutch and some hoses.... YAY!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:50 PM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PLEASE Don't encourage people to do this with stories of "special treatment". It just makes people more reckless with their vehicles. Thank you!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:51 PM
LvntheZ

Originally Posted by z350boy
PLEASE Don't encourage people to do this with stories of "special treatment". It just makes people more reckless with their vehicles. Thank you!!!!
thats only if your stupid enough....sorry to hear you are easily encouraged
Old 03-30-2007, 03:17 PM
joe645733

i dont abuse my car at all. i can tell u i do half the stupid **** peoplee do with their cars.
it was like, my second time doing a donut. i know how to drive a manual car by now. but didnt know i shouldnt be shifting to 3rd gear on a donut.

and by the people saying, "oh, i cant wait to see the look on your face"...

haha i dont really care anywayz, shouldnt i need to replace the clutch with a stronger one if im modding my car? who the hell ccares. u dont need to get offended. just cuz u didnt have money at the time through that struggle. keep ur opinion to urself. sorry, it was my fault to think the the drivetrain warranty would cover it. i can tell u that they prolly will replace my clutch too. i bought the car used from them, idk how badley the owner before treated the car. and by the way the clutch is NOT broken or have problems. its my trans only. and for u using the harsh comments, u must not know much thinking my clutch is gone. i didnt say it was slipping. 3rd gear can drive, just before it gets into it, it grinds. its a trans problem, and its free.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:26 PM
QuicksilverZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a public forum...People will not keep their opinion to themselves...As for your tranny, that was a stupid thing to do, but good luck getting it fixed.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:47 PM
joe645733

Originally Posted by QuicksilverZ33
This is a public forum...People will not keep their opinion to themselves...As for your tranny, that was a stupid thing to do, but good luck getting it fixed.
yeah.
but i never really said i broke my transmission on purpose.

it was more like im glad my clutch/tranny will get replaced before my warranty expires.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Lo$t

Originally Posted by joe645733
i dont abuse my car at all. i can tell u i do half the stupid **** peoplee do with their cars.
it was like, my second time doing a donut. i know how to drive a manual car by now. but didnt know i shouldnt be shifting to 3rd gear on a donut.

and by the people saying, "oh, i cant wait to see the look on your face"...

haha i dont really care anywayz, shouldnt i need to replace the clutch with a stronger one if im modding my car? who the hell ccares. u dont need to get offended. just cuz u didnt have money at the time through that struggle. keep ur opinion to urself. sorry, it was my fault to think the the drivetrain warranty would cover it. i can tell u that they prolly will replace my clutch too. i bought the car used from them, idk how badley the owner before treated the car. and by the way the clutch is NOT broken or have problems. its my trans only. and for u using the harsh comments, u must not know much thinking my clutch is gone. i didnt say it was slipping. 3rd gear can drive, just before it gets into it, it grinds. its a trans problem, and its free.
hey dumb shlt. that was me who said i wish i could see the look on your face. you say "should i need to replace the clutch with a stronger one if im modding my car?" well.. they don't replace your stock clutch with a stronger clutch for 1... and for 2.. My Z is boosted 400 hp to the rear wheels and i'm on stock clutch. and yeah i already said it was a trans problem. i just said that i hope its also a clutch problem so that you have to come out of pocket as a punishment for you being such an idiot.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gear Messed up