Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

3rd gear grind story

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 12:00 PM
themyst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gear grind story

After 10k miles, I could make the tranny grind at will, so you guys who think the occasional grinding is driver error, think again. After 10k miles, you will be able to make the 2-3 shift grind at will. Anyway, I took it to Amity Nissan in LI, they made me wait an hour for a tech to go for a test drive, and when they finally did, the guy says "I don't hear no grinding" verbatim. I was like, let me drive it, sit there while I drive. I was coasting at 20 mph, shifting repeatedly from 2 to 3, grinding each time, a total of 10 times. The tech was wincing every time he heard the grind, and just for good measure, I made it grind one more time for fun. I was like, you still don't hear the grinding?? Hes like, "ok, its there". The tech says "we may need to hold your car for a few days Then I told him about the SS 350z sitting in the lot (Slexis200), and how I know the owner of that car, and that its in for the same reason as my car. They will get back to me later today, and hopefully they'll just order me a new tranny and cut the crap. It seems like Nissan would rather go down kicking and screaming than give us new trannys.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:06 PM
themyst

Default Update

The tech at Amity completely acknowledged the defective transmission, but they are refraining from ordering a new transmission because of the situation at hand... even if they put a new transmission in, it'll just wear the synchro out prematurely and start grinding again, therefore they want to find out what the true culprit is before they authorize any sort of warranty. I question that excuse, but I do agree with the tech's opinion, I wouldn't want to go back for ANOTHER new transmission. Hopefully, there will be some news that I can relay to everyone suffering this problem.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:45 PM
Inova

thanks for the info. i think i am starting to have problems as well, but i am only at 2k miles, and they might give me bs about how is is driver error. it usually only happens on starts after about 6-7 hrs of resting. i just double clutch the first 10 mins or so of driving, then once the gearbox warms up some it stops.... wierd?
Old 04-24-2003, 06:17 PM
themyst

Try this... right now your synchros aren't worn out enough to replicate the grinding at will, leave the car at the dealer overnight, make sure YOU are the one driving the car when going for a test drive, and shift hard from 2nd into 3rd at around 2500-3000 rpms when the car is cold. Guaranteed grind. Question though, what is your VIN#, and when did you purchase the car?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Slexis200

Nissan has got to just give us new cars!! The chances of this second transmission driving just great, would be pretty amazing...... We'll have to see.. Im pickin up my car tommorow.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:54 AM
barnicleboy
Banned

I have the same issue, 3rd gear. its really changed my shifting patterns and habit. I beleive this is absolutely unneccessary and should be addressed. They are not addressing it because it is probably so widespread, they would loose tons of money. Thats what its all about.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:05 PM
hwj

It's been a while since I've written but mine is sitting at the dealer for over a week now waiting for a re-build of the trans.
See my 1/18/03 original posting and replies for the history. I'm at 4200 miles after 7 months+ as of today.

I kind of agree that another defective trans wouldn't be the answer I'd like to end up with. I think the rebuild should correct the problem.

[By the way, I purchased the RedLine trans and rear diff oils to be changed, when they do the trans this week.]