Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

fuel tank TSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:59 AM
mikeygp4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel tank TSB

is there a charge for fixing a technical service bulletins?

i brought my 2004 z to a nissan dealership for an oil change and to have the tsb for the fuel tank fixed as it is difficult to fill-up at times, but the service advisor told me they're not aware of any fuel problems and will have to inspect it to determine the cause. they were going to charge for the inspection and for any necessary parts and labor once they figure out what to do. anyway, i told them not to fix the tsb anymore and just got my oil changed. i wasn't sure if i should be paying for that service and i didn't want them messing with my car if they still have to figure out the fuel tank problem that pretty much all 2004 z's have.

please give your thoughts or advise. i feel like they are bs'ing and probably didn't want to spend the time and/or resources to fix the tsb.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:16 PM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a factory recall and will be fixed for free. If they bull****ting and trying to charge you a service fee then tell them to go ahead and when they find out it's the refueler hose they wont charge you for the labor/service. What is happening is your hose has cracks in it and builds pressure in the tank and tube when filling up. Therefore causing your tank to seem full far before it really is. Most people complain of it only gonig to 3/4's of a tank or a little above.

The repair is actually fairly complex considering it is only 1 tube. They will have to pull yoru exhaust off along with the whole rear end. They have to drop it down to reach the hose. It cost more in labor to do the job then it does for the part... thats why they are playing dumb. Take it up there, tell them you'll pay the service fee, and then when they find out its the recalled
part they wont charge you the inspection fee.

**When you bring it in for the repair make sure your gas tank isnt above 1/8th of a tank or they will refuse to do the repair. They are very specific on having not too much gas, but enough to do the repair.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

Actually the z's have two different issues. There is the recall on the fuel hoses but there is also a TSB on the shutter valve which is what will cause the tank to only fill part way. TSB's are not a warranty extension or recall. They are only instructional tools to help technicians that may be having a problem that is difficult to diagnose. If you're out of warranty there may be a charge for TSB repairs.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:08 PM
mikeygp4

thanks for the info!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:13 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Actually the z's have two different issues. There is the recall on the fuel hoses but there is also a TSB on the shutter valve which is what will cause the tank to only fill part way. TSB's are not a warranty extension or recall. They are only instructional tools to help technicians that may be having a problem that is difficult to diagnose. If you're out of warranty there may be a charge for TSB repairs.
+1. TSB's are only covered under warranty, but recalls are covered regardless because they are safety issues.