Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Build Thread: 2004 Theft Recovery Touring

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:43 PM
dustin15brown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feel free to suggest mods to do, maybe it will be something I haven't thought of... but most likely I will be keeping it pretty close to stock for a while. And there won't be any turbos, TT's or SC's for a good while. And yeah, I forgot to add doors.... haha... It's easy at time to overlook the most obvious things...
Old 06-01-2007, 07:32 PM
dustin15brown

update: my moms best friend has an '03 touring that shes been trying to sell. While she was on her honeymoon a short occured in the fuel pump i guess and caused the rear to ignite. The insurance guy is coming to look monday, and if the price is reasonable she's going to buy the car back and make me pay her for it and then get *almost* everything i need to finish my car. Her interior and rear are toast almost, but the doors appear to be alright as well as everything up front. It sucks, but I mean she had full coverage and still has her hummer to drive... So I'm happy
Old 06-02-2007, 03:25 AM
The_VQ

Let me know if you will be parting the other car, maybe I'll be interested in few things.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:00 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

free bump

A few complications in the sellers ad, and possibly more work than its worth, but i thought i would post it anyways.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...QQcmdZViewItem

if i find anything else somewhat useful ill make sure to keep you updated.

Last edited by HondaKiller; 06-06-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:25 PM
dustin15brown

bump: I got the red z that had rear fire damage... I need to finish up some things on the celica then it's time to start on the Z. I should have a lot of leftover parts. Stay tuned for the actual build
Old 06-27-2007, 02:22 PM
iwantaz123

good luck man, i'm rebuilding a 2005 350z touring roadster..front end damage. if you got any parts that can help me out or if you know where to find some nice parts. It is mostly front end damage.
Thanks and good luck!
Old 08-03-2007, 04:28 AM
DustinZ33

Dustin15Brown, I have an extra pair of door sills I can sell you if you still need them. Let me know. I can get some pics later this afternoon or this weekend.

Bump for some updates.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:05 AM
usmanasif

So they stole all those parts but left the wheels and tires behind? Unusual.

Very sad to see a Z in this state, especially an otherwise brand new one. But from the sound of this, it couldn't have ended up in better, more responsible hands. Best of luck my friend!
Old 08-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Updates???
Old 11-23-2009, 06:40 AM
dustin15brown

sorry guys, i totally forgot about starting a thread on here. I'll copy/paste everything from another forum I'm on today and I welcome all feedback!
Old 11-23-2009, 06:42 AM
dustin15brown

*copied straight from other forum if some smaller pieces don't make sense!*

Some of the older members may recall the 2003 Red 350Z I took to prom last year. It was my moms best friends car. Well she's been trying to sell it here locally for a couple of weeks and they relocated it out somewhere else so more people would see it a couple of days ago. Something shorted out at 2am and caused a fire. it lit the entire gas tank/rear on fire... As much as that sucks, she had full coverage and still has her hummer to drive so I dont feel as bad. The good news is that if insurance doesn't want an arm and a leg for it, I'll be getting it. it will have almost everything I'm missing and a lot of leftover stuff that i'll be able to sell and recoup most of my costs. Here's a pic of what her car looks like now

Old 11-23-2009, 06:44 AM
dustin15brown

some cell phone pics:
The new toy dad bought to keep us cool while working

The cars facin each other

Fenders

Hoods

Front ends

lights:

17's from the red z with the HID's for the celica fogs

Doors off!

Red Z

Silver Z

If you EVER need to know anything about the Z: These 4 books better have it!
Old 11-23-2009, 06:45 AM
dustin15brown

Dec 5, 2007
figure it's time for an update... nothing has really changed... living 2 hours away from home and being at college means i'm rarely ever home. The harness never showed, the guy i ordered it through ditched out and i cannot get a hold of him. Said hell with it... with with West Covina out in cali for the harness and paid for it last night... Hopefully it's there when i get home from finals. I plan on working on it most of Christmas break to get it done. Finally a break from school....
Old 11-23-2009, 06:47 AM
dustin15brown

June 3, 2008
basically back from the dead..... Yes, I finally got a few hours to work on the Z. Update:
Sold the old HID's and picked up a set of 06+ Bi-xenon's smile.gif
BOSE headunit, doorpanels, and headrest are on their way as we speak
Got the dash out of the car and traced all the lines for the wiring harness
Looking for the proper tool to pull the AC lines from the firewall so that I can put in the new harness
It's starting to become a fun thing to do.
Luckily, I'll be at home for a week with work, so I should have an hour or two a night to work on it,
PROJECT COMPLETION ETA: End of June
Celica back on the road, ETA: June 15th
Will post pics soon smile.gif
Old 11-23-2009, 06:52 AM
dustin15brown

September 23, 2008
Update:
Nissan sent me the wrong wiring harness and we didn't figure this out until the new harness was in and had two small plugs that didn't line up.... what a *****! I called west coast covina and spoke with the owner and he admitted it was their fault even though their computer was the one who had the information wrong... So they sent me the correct harness and it's being fitted in Friday when I go home from college.
I think I have everything that I need now minus the panels that never showed up.... Guy took my money and ran frown.gif
pics coming on friday or saturday most likely
Old 11-23-2009, 06:59 AM
dustin15brown

March 2, 2009
This thing is almost embarassing to update given I've had it so long now... but honestly living two hours from home I barely ever make it home and always seem to find more pressing matters to take care of when home for that limited amount of time. Lame, I know. Also, a great investment, I know. Hahaha ok where here I go.... and sorry for the mass of ****ty pics from my phone.
OK well I got the old harness out, and man was that thing a ***** to get out. Once I finally found all the plugs and connections to undo under the driver's side dash I was able to pull the harness through the firewall. But as you can see in the pics, the harness is too big to fit through the area as is. So what I had to do was remove the wiper assembly and undo the brake lines to give myself a little wiggle room.
From there we were able to pull the rest of the harness out and attempt to put the new one in. I also had to remove the heater core so that the tubes would go through the firewall to give me enough room to squeeze by.
Step 1) The harness had many exposed wires and I didn't want to risk cutting them on the metal or having something happen, so I used eletrical tape to cover up any wires no encompassed by the harness shroud. Tedious, but well worth it for the peace of mind.
Step 2) To avoid having different sections have copious amounts of stress when pulling through, I taped a lot of the connections together to compress them to pull through the firewall or snake through tight areas.... Again... very worth it.
Time for some pics:

I'm fitting a huge harness.... through... there?!?!?!

Yeah you got it, through that tiny *** gap..... not happening without some thinking

Classy, I know, but it worked!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:02 AM
dustin15brown

March 2, 2009
Ok so to keep going.
Once the lines and heater core were outta the way, the new harness went in after about 40000000 curse words, 200 busted knuckles/cut hands... and a decent amount of beer. But here's what it looked like on the inside:

Notice the bucket and carpet holding up the steering wheel: I had to undo the entire long tube running on the inside of the car to fit everything in and remove the heater core. The steering column had to be completely undone basically and instead of just hanging there.... we used that bucket and carpet. Haha

I'm pretty sure the term is "FML- F**K my life* when I see how much ish is going on within my car. And this being my first project anything like this.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:03 AM
dustin15brown

March 2, 2009
ok now for the progress:
Got the tube bolted back down, wiring harness in, brake lines reconnected, and wiring under the dash finished. Here's some of the progress pics from today, but I got tired and forgot to keep taking pics:
The main part of the interior dash installed:

The passenger side air bag hooked up and bolted down

What stopped my progress for the day? Sadly just the left side of this pic

I dont have the bracket to hold the radio in and finish up the center console.
From there it is literally 30 minutes to finish the interior. Which will happen next weekend providing I can get the parts here in time. Also, my interior and dash are BLACK... So I ordered the center console piece and got this one:

At a glance it looks fine right? well in the car it is definitely a new model piece that has a bit of grey/silver in it and looks very tacky. So I'm trying to order a new center console piece this week as well.

I know it might not be a lot to some of you guys. And others will say it is taking too long. But I bought the car in no hurry to finish it and learn a lot. Needless to say, I've learned a sh!tton and I'm very happy I did it. It will be done relatively soon then it gets painted and inspected. I'll try to update more frequently now that I have a bit of free time on weekends to make the 130 mile journey just to get it done.
The new lights Bi-xenon

And the parts in their area, waiting to go in!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 AM
dustin15brown

march 7, 2009
So I came home again this weekend and here's what I got so far:
A few things from the burnt Z

More of the dash is in! Starting at the pasenger side.

Ok, so you can see the majority of the center console. What I ended up doing since the other center console upper piece was a different shade was I took out the center console upper piece from the burnt Z and spent about an hour and a half cleaning all the smoke off and seeing if it was salvageable. I also took the two main brackets on the cd player from the red Z and put it on the cd player going into the gray Z. Obviously I also had to replace to top set of triple gauges because.... well.... the old ones were melted
Then I went to put the new cd player in. But what you cant see behind it was that when they stole the stuff out of it they jacked up the harness that plugged into the back of the cd player. They took two of the connectors that go in the back. So what I ended up doing was taking the harness from the burnt Z and de-pinning the connectors to put into the gray Z. HUGE PAIN IN THE A$$!.
The driver's side... coming together!

The rest of the center console.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:06 AM
dustin15brown

March 7, 2009
The passenger side seat is in, bolted down, and plugged in!

The driver's side seat is in too!

The entire center console is in!

sitting in the driver's seat, looking at my gauges! I'll be honest, it felt amazing. So many hours and it is finally going

I even have my hazards back!

The car I'm driving until the celica is back on the road and the Z is done

*well ok, it's my little brother's car.... haha*

That's all I have for today, but I am starting work on the front end tomorrow morning. So HOPEFULLY I'll have a big update tomorrow night!!

Quick Reply: Build Thread: 2004 Theft Recovery Touring